Accuracy and Precision of the eardrum...
Jul 8, 2008 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Know Talent

100+ Head-Fier
We talk about the ranges of human hearing but what about accuracy and precision based upon variables such as relative humidity, room sound reflections, listening volumes, the effect of cummulative SPL eardrum is subjected to prior to a listening event (weed whip the yard then go in and listen to music vs. having the old lady weed whip the yard while you sit on the couch listening to music & drinking beer).... yada, yada, etc....

What I'm getting at is...it seems to me more plausible that influences other than splitting hairs over cables, burn in, etc.... have greater effect on our listening experiences?

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Oh, undoubtedly...your ear's fatigue from other noises, your mood, your state of intoxication, your intoxcant of choice, wether or not you're petting a cat while listening, how much sleep you had the night before, the lighting, your seating position, all these things have an affect. That is, if you have a holistic/gaiaistic approach to things, or if you're a Buddhist, and believe that all things are connected. I hope that when I listen to music, I'm not killing a butterfly in the Amazon...I'd hate to be responsible for the next major tsunami...

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Add temperature, blood pressure, time of day, and much else to the list. Even the sunspot index plays a role. The variables are endless and cannot be controlled. Which is OK. You can thoroughly enjoy music without aftermarket cables, power conditioners, etc.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 10
I jus' like buyin' stuff!

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 10
Two days ago here, it was very hot and humid. The air felt dense. Not sure if atmospheric pressure had anything to do with it but everything sounded distant through my headphones. Initially, I thought my RSA Predator was on the low gain setting but it was at medium. It still sounded small but bringing up the volume just made it uncomfortable. It gradually wore off during the day.

I was about to post on the same subject the other day.. Weird.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We talk about the ranges of human hearing but what about accuracy and precision based upon variables such as relative humidity, room sound reflections, listening volumes, the effect of cummulative SPL eardrum is subjected to prior to a listening event (weed whip the yard then go in and listen to music vs. having the old lady weed whip the yard while you sit on the couch listening to music & drinking beer).... yada, yada, etc....

What I'm getting at is...it seems to me more plausible that influences other than splitting hairs over cables, burn in, etc.... have greater effect on our listening experiences?

This is what I find so amusing about people who think they can hear audible sound improvements via things like power cables. The human ability to understand sound is incredible cool and unique, however most of what makes our hearing unique is the brain power/ability we have to understand different aspects. The human ear itself is NOT one of the more powerful ears out there.

When I was going to school (a recording and live-sound school) we didn't just learn about sound, we didn't just learn about signal, we spent a lot of time learning about how the ear itself works. How pscho-acoustics work. How we perceive sound in general.

That people think something as minimal and irrelevant as a power cable (that is properly built) could effect sound is dubious enough as a claim. That people think we'd be able to perceive that microscopically-small amount of difference (if there even were one) is just plain crazy too me.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I jus' like buyin' stuff!

An enlightened audiophile
smily_headphones1.gif

In general terms I feel very fortunate that I am unable to discerne differences in detail between listening sessions. I can just chill and listen.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 10
I have cables here that most definately make my system sound different, so bahhhh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back