accuphase as headphone amp
Aug 27, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by loui29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone out there had any experience with accuphase as a
dedicated headphone amp? the new C-2810 preamp looks very interesting.

I am a big Accuphase fan - use a DP-77 SACD player to an A-20 Class A power amp for K1000s. That combo using the DP-77's volume control is as good a K1000 rig as I've heard.

I lust after an Accuphase pre, but the prices are a bit dear for me at the moment. That C-2810 looks spectacular, and should do very well with headphones. I did note from the specs, however, that recommended headphone impedance was 8 - 100 ohms which leaves out many of our favorites. I would certainly not spend that kind of money to just use the C-2810 as a dedicated headphone amp. As a state of the art preamp with headphone as a bonus it does make sense.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 13
I've been using my Accuphase E-204 this evening after viewing the post and for the first time as my headphone amplifier. Connecting my Sennheiser HD600s to the headphone socket sourced by a  Cambridge DACMAGIC and the digital output from my Sonos.

I don't use high end amplification usually for my headphones (FIIO E17) but on listening to a couple of tracks found that the music detail, lightness and spaciousness jumped out at me, I didn't realise how good the headphone could actually sound!

I don't know how much time was spent in developing the amplifier was spent on the headphone stage, but assumed it was just a token feature like many other integrated amps, but I'm definitely impressed with the results. 

Does anyone have similar thought on this or know how much development goes into the headphone stage? I have tried a few low budget headphone staged for cheaper amplifiers and dedicated portable headphone DACs, but they to my ears all sound very similar, The accuphase is very different, much better.

Good fun test..

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 13
I have recently acquired an old Accuphase E-305 integrated amp...and wow...I am amazed by the sound of both the speaker outputs and the headphone output.

The headphone output was the biggest surprise with HD-600s

This 30 year old integrated has blown my socks off and replaced an Electrocompaniet ECI-3:)

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 13
I've been a big fan of Accuphase amps for nearly 20 years.  They drive Tannoy Kingdom speakers perfectly.
I can't afford the newer models, but the vintage C-202 and P300 (pre + power) are sublime.

I love the C-202 driving the HD800:
Impeccable soundstage
Impressive clarity across treble, mids and bass
Perfect control over frequency extremes (above 12 KHz and below 300 Hz)

I use Senn stock cable.
However, similar quality with a tad of 'articulation' is achieved with the HD800 + Senn balanced cable + HDVD 800.  By 'articulation', I mean that there is better i
ntelligibility of voice(s) and instruments and the interactions between them (Ref. Head-Fi glossary http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
).

I cherish the Accuphase sound, but I raise my hat to salute the divine HDVD 800 - HD 800 combination - Balanced cable combination.
Thanks, Sennheiser!

May 19, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 13
DT-1990-Pro sound perfectly adequate at just half turn of the volume knob.

If only the left speaker of the headphones would sound... infact it only emits a very faint sound and I suspect the speaker is blown

May 19, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 13
A quick update for who might eventually be interested. I managed to sort out the issue with the left channel. Well, the Beyers really shine and I re-discovered a bunch of CDs I "thought" to know well.

In particular, a Philips recording I'm very fond of, has been finally "revealed". It has always seemed somewhat darkish to me. But I was wrong: now every detail jumps in and I find the recording perfectly balanced.

A really engaging listening session and the volume knob of my C-222 rarely was above the second mark... so I can see no need for an headphone amp and I bet an headphone amp better than my accuphase would be very expensive

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 13
This reply may be outdated for the thread, but the topic is certainly not. I use my Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow open and closed with my Accuphase 3850 preamp headphone option and its magical. Class A is sweet and warm. I also own the Chord Hugo 2 and mojo for listening to these HPs. Both are great as well, but cannot knock the headphone amp option to the Accuphase. Supberb.

Nov 15, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Over the years not many inputs about accuphase headphone output. I had few integrateds with such an option. I finally decided to change my audio gear to accuphase and headphone output from c2410 is from other galaxy. I'm totally addicted to this presentation. Ether c flow sounds amazing from it.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Over the years not many inputs about accuphase headphone output. I had few integrateds with such an option. I finally decided to change my audio gear to accuphase and headphone output from c2410 is from other galaxy. I'm totally addicted to this presentation. Ether c flow sounds amazing from it.
Cannot agree with you more. Plenty of power with gain options and a compensator to boost low frequencies when needed. I have deter from buying another HP phone for this reason.

Disclaimer, I do have the Blue Hawaii with 009 as well along with a Hugo 2 for my portable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back