Accordion music recommendations
Mar 10, 2008 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I'm looking for some music with accordion. Don't know why, but I've been enjoying it lately. I'm looking for relatively downtempo alternative with accordions. Some examples are:
The Wrens- She Sends Kisses
The Album Leaf- Streamside
The National- Slow Show

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 24
A lot of Tom Waits has accordions. I seem to remember some nice stuff in Frank's Wild Years.

See ya
Steve

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird Al Yankovic

Dagnabit, I was going to recommend that!

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 24
318J9SPN5JL._AA130_.jpg

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 24
No thread about accordions would be complete without mention of the great Maria Kalaniemi, with or without her backup band Aldargaz. Look for information on N o r t h S i d e - Nordic Roots Music. Great music from Finland!

Laz

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
318J9SPN5JL._AA130_.jpg

I had that very CD. Picked it up in a used bin. The funny thing about it was that although all the packaging, and the CD itself was labelled Myron Floren, the music on the CD itself was the Sex Pistols! Before I had a chance to show it to anyone, there was a big earthquake and one of my speakers fell on the CD smashing it. I swear it's true!

See ya
Steve

P.S. I'm probably the only person in the world who would be happy to listen to both Lawrence Welk AND the Sex Pistols!

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #10 of 24

Should you be interested in a contemporary accordion piece (2007): fluc 'n' flex by Bernhard Gander (only 1 of 5 pieces, on the above, is accordion).

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 24
Tin Hat (formerly known as Tin Hat Trio) is a really interesting band that blends different styles of acoustic music -- jazz, folk, blues, klezmer, avant-garde, bluegrass, what have you. Rob Burger, one of the original trio, played accordion on their first four albums... of which I've heard only the third, "The Rodeo Eroded". That album had a particularly great track with Willie Nelson singing "Willow Weep for Me". The new Tin Hat album, "The Sad Machinery of Spring", is with a larger group, and Burger is gone but they have a new accordionist. It's great acoustic music with eclectic instrumentation and a somewhat deranged/spooky vibe.

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also from the Northside label is this elegant, peaceful album May Monday, featuring Irish accordionist Karen Tweed and Finnish pianist Timo Alakotila. If you like instrumental music that is mediative without being sugary, this album is a nice treat.

I have that very album! How could I have forgotten Karen Tweed?
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 24
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 24
Guy Klucevsek, Polka Dots and Laser Beams. Astor Piazzola tangos. Great novella with an accordion player hero: James Ellroy's Dick Contino's Blues.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that very CD. Picked it up in a used bin. The funny thing about it was that although all the packaging, and the CD itself was labelled Myron Floren, the music on the CD itself was the Sex Pistols! Before I had a chance to show it to anyone, there was a big earthquake and one of my speakers fell on the CD smashing it. I swear it's true!

See ya
Steve

P.S. I'm probably the only person in the world who would be happy to listen to both Lawrence Welk AND the Sex Pistols!

Very funny story
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back