Accessory Help for a Newbie IPOD owner
Nov 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Malakei

100+ Head-Fier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there guys, been a dedicated FLAC listener on my COWON x5 for a while now but recently broke down and bought a 120GB 6th gen ipod. Found out that they are not supported yet on rockbox or ipodlinux so i have to use ALAC if i want to do lossless. Regardless, to properly experience lossless i think a LOD is in order etc etc. Right now i have no accessories for it accept some stylish brown leather case the guy sold it to me with and the standard USB cable.

My main questions are:

1. What LOD is the best bang for buck IYO
2. What sort of dock for at my computer listening is the best bang for buck that looks stylish and does AC wall charging.
3. What accessories have you found to be your favourites?
4. What program quickly and easily will convert my FLACS to ALAC on my windows PC?

I recently saw a griffin car charger that is sorta like a dock which looks like a good idea. Id like to find something to dock my ipod in my car that will both charge my ipod and hold it securely whilst looking stylish.

Anything with regards to getting the most out of my ipod would be greatly appreciated. I was totally against apple for many reason but they have become so cheap to find used and have good storage capacity and are stylish looking. Can't wait for rockbox support so i can go back to my FLACS.

Cheers all.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 6
1. I like the LOD that HeadRoom sells: SiK White ram din for iPod @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears $21.95, works great and HeadRoom is a sponsor here.

2. I use the dock that came with my iPod. USB will charge it off from the computer while it's plugged in.

3. My car came with a Pioneer radio with built-in iPod controls. I can leave the iPod connected in the center console/armrest, while it's charged and accessible through the radio. Pioneer makes a few aftermarket radios similar to this. If you want to play your iPod in the car, a radio like this is terrific.

4. Can't help, sorry. I run Mac and Linux.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 6
As for the car listening my car had RCA AUX inputs for the ipod. I was more looking for some sort of cradle mount with a pass through for the LOD/charger

at the computer listening would not be through the computer but that idea might be a good one as opposed to listening to it at home through electronics but i do find computer sound cards and audio setups to be low quality and noisy even on my SBlive 24bit.

thanks for the other inputs

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 6
I use an ALO Bling Bling LOD. Great build quality, and Ken's really a standup guy, so if you ever have any problems with it, which is unlikely, I'm sure he'll take care of you. Definitely worth the rather modest $55 price tag.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
4. What program quickly and easily will convert my FLACS to ALAC on my windows PC?
the below program is great. doesnt tie up resources, totally customizeable, handles all formats....can burn cds, generate cue files...

foobar2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back