Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #106 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The short plate versions of the 7316 are reportedly fast, crisp and punchy with crystalline clarity while the long plate version is softer and more lush. Since there is a significant difference in the sound of the long plate versions and the short plate versions, it would be helpful to know which version you have, Raffy. Since you list it as a 1959 vintage I would assume that it is a Ct0 long plate version. Could you confirm, Raffy?

Actually mine is stamped Ct1, short plate, O getter. I think based on the date stamps it is a 1959 but I have to double check the tube itself.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #109 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is claiming the short plates are bright, you agree Raffy?

Bright has always been a negative term for me, implying excessive treble energy which is often fatiguing. So by my definition, no the short plate 7316 is not bright. There is good treble control w/o sounding rolled-off or veiled.

BTW, I was able to put a finger on what sets the 7316 apart from the rest of my tubes. It is the superior vocal reproduction and separation. Everything feels like it has it's proper place in the soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #111 of 566
Quote:

Sounds good to me. Maybe you could compare it to the cleartop when you get it, for me, that classifies as bright.

Just wanna clarify: So you consider the RCA Clear Top to be "bright" meaning tipped up/strident treble which can be fatiguing?

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #112 of 566
No, I would not call it fatiguing, I do call it bright, but you have to remember im the guy who loves the 12BH7, the clear top reminds me of a very good SS amp. Im hoping the Tungsol 5687s I have coming will smooth it out just a bit so I can spend more time with the clear top. Everything in my system is warm and if I thought a tube was fatiguing then I would throw it in the trash and never mention it. I sold some 701s for just that reason.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #113 of 566
I have always found the clear tops to have a bit of a tipped up upper mid and high frequency. It depends upon the system how much they are liked, at least in my experience.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #114 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always found the clear tops to have a bit of a tipped up upper mid and high frequency. It depends upon the system how much they are liked, at least in my experience.

Fatiguing would you say?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #115 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bright has always been a negative term for me, implying excessive treble energy which is often fatiguing. So by my definition, no the short plate 7316 is not bright. There is good treble control w/o sounding rolled-off or veiled.

I did not mean to imply that the short plates are bright. I agree with Raffy that bright is a negative term to me. The short plates being fast, crisp and punchy does not imply excess trebel energy.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #116 of 566
Quote:

Fatiguing would you say?

I don't find it natural so I don't enjoy them very much. So I guess it would be fatiguing in that way. Any in the wrong system, yes they can be bright and fatiguing.

I should add that some really like them. I think it depends upon what we expect, like to hear or how we hear.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #117 of 566
Added the Raytheon branded Tungsol 5687s to the 12BH7 RCA today and I think I have found exactly what im looking for. The 12BH7 plus the standard Philips drivers made for a combination that is too warm and closed in for the 650s. With the new Tungsols there is a bigger sound stage and everything is slightly more crisp. I think im done screwing with tubes for awhile. I will have to add the clear top back in later so I can write some more about that combo. My first impression is the Tungsols and the clear top RCA will not work so well together but we shall see.

BTW, if any of you Raptor guys has a noisey tube or two then let me know. I have some left over rubber tube dampers, PM me with an address.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #118 of 566
FMWR, I put the clear top in and using it with the tung-sol drivers it sounds amazing. I would say is matches Raffy's description of the 7316. One thing I dont understand is this was a matched low noise tube and has always sounded great and today the cleartop is humming like a bitch. I put some dampers on it and it is fine to listen to for now but it is still humming. could thins be a combination of the cleartop and the tung-sols? I dont get it.

Update: I am such a numb nuts. first tube I ever bought was an RCA cleartop from EBAY, it was abut 7 bucks and when I got it the thing hummed like crazy. I never through it out. Then I bought another cleartop from tube world tested for low noise and with perfectly matched sections 11.5/11.5. I put the wrong tube in. What a dumb ass. Anyway, I have the good cleartop in there now and with the Tung-Sols it rocks. Sounds amazing. It has a much bigger soundstage and much more crisp without being harsh or sacrificing anything. The 12BH7 with the Tung-Sols is nice but it has too much bass weight and for goes alot of detail on the mids and highs. I am loving this combo. I wonder if the Tung-sol 12BH7 I ordered will sound any better than the RCA.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #119 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to he family!!!

Ray is a great man and the Raptor is an incredible amp. Congrats!

I highly recommend the: (Vintage 1965 12AU7 Amperex, Vintage Tung-Sol) combo!

ratpbluejq1.jpg

You have some noisey tubes?

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #120 of 566
Looks sweet. Pure quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back