Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #17 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It truly is a great amp...BTW, what tubes are you using for your Raptor?

I am using an RCA 6189 with 3 mica, D-getter black plate and 2 Tung-Sol 5687 with D-shaped getter and black plate. Nice, warm and balanced sound.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #18 of 566
Congrats! Sound like you are in true audio bliss. That is a good feeling!

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #19 of 566
Here's the pics:

100_2058.jpg

100_2060.jpg

Night Shot:

100_2067.jpg

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 566
Congrats. The Raptor is an awesome amp. I think it sounds fabulous too. Also, the design is killer as well and looks timeless. It looks better in person. This amp very chic and worth every penny. I could live with this amp for the rest of my life and be happy. Nice pick brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 566
I couldn't agree more, I absolutely love my Raptor. It is easily my favorite out of my 3 amps. It reallly does it all well. I have started rolling some tubes. Right now I have a Mullard 12au7 and two Raytheon branded Tung-sol 5687's. Man does it sound sweet! I have also rolled with the same 5687's and the Telefunken 12au7 that Ray recommended as the best tubes. This sounds incredible as well. A little more detail with the Telefunken, while a little more warmth with the Mullard, but both are fantastic. I also have an Amperex Bugle Boy I'll be trying out in the next couple of days. Man, all I can say, is I love this amp. If you want to look at some different tubes, I really recommend www.vintagetubeservices.com. Pricier than most, but oh so worth it. I had some tung-sols and a telefunken I bought off of ebay, and the tubes I bought for vintage tube crush them. Enjoy the Raptor, it is incredible! I am off to enjoy mine now!

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 566
Tube rolling is good. You'll find that some tubes could add a touch more warmth or some may add a touch more dryness which can be good too. It's nice to change brands of tubes for a nice change of the nuances of sound.

I like to collect a few different brands and stock up for the future. Get em while you can since great tubes are easy to find now and affordable too. Ebay has great bargains. Audiogon and tube dealers are great sources too brotha.

chewie0ol.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't agree more, I absolutely love my Raptor. It is easily my favorite out of my 3 amps. It reallly does it all well. I have started rolling some tubes. Right now I have a Mullard 12au7 and two Raytheon branded Tung-sol 5687's. Man does it sound sweet! I have also rolled with the same 5687's and the Telefunken 12au7 that Ray recommended as the best tubes. This sounds incredible as well. A little more detail with the Telefunken, while a little more warmth with the Mullard, but both are fantastic. I also have an Amperex Bugle Boy I'll be trying out in the next couple of days. Man, all I can say, is I love this amp. If you want to look at some different tubes, I really recommend www.vintagetubeservices.com. Pricier than most, but oh so worth it. I had some tung-sols and a telefunken I bought off of ebay, and the tubes I bought for vintage tube crush them. Enjoy the Raptor, it is incredible! I am off to enjoy mine now!

I just ordered a Mullard 12AU7 and a pair of Tungsols from VTS. How would you describe the Mullard? I am looking for something warmer and richer than the Telefunkens.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 566
Most everything is warmer than the Teles. I like them but more for a change rather than a constant diet. They are special though.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #27 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most everything is warmer than the Teles. I like them but more for a change rather than a constant diet. They are special though.

Though I haven't tried other gain tubes, that's the impression I had too. They are not sterile but definitely not tubey. They have excellent impact and detail which makes them special but I need something a little bit more "emotional" even if it colors the sound a little bit.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 566
www.tubeworld.com

1 platinum tube $40) 12BH7A RCA black plates used/tests like new smeared white print "D" getter 1950's (12/12.3ma)

Buy this tube, it has amazing bass pressence and weight and the top end is very smooth. You will love it, especially with your 600s. This tube presents the most natural sounding bass I have ever listened too. Its taller than the 5687s too so it looks cool in the rear socket.
tongue_smile.gif
I also bought an RCA clear top 12AU7, it also sounds very good, but its different, its more open in the highs and the bass weight is less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back