Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Nov 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #168 of 566
I received the Amperex BugleBoy 7316 and the first impression is the vocal and mid range came into my life via the GS1K which were never there with the stock and telefunken tubes. I also agree that musical separation is better than other tubes.

I am still maining the Tung Sol Ribbed Plates 5687 and will be looking for alternatives soon.

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #169 of 566
LOL! Raffy, after listening to the Raptor this weekend, I decided to look for anything you might have written about it. I wasn't expecting a 17 page (and counting!) post. It's funny for an SS guy like myself to be so interested in all the tube rolling discussion going on here. But that amp did sound fantastic.

Do you recall what tubes were in at the beginning of the meet? At the end?

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #170 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Raffy, after listening to the Raptor this weekend, I decided to look for anything you might have written about it. I wasn't expecting a 17 page (and counting!) post. It's funny for an SS guy like myself to be so interested in all the tube rolling discussion going on here. But that amp did sound fantastic.

Do you recall what tubes were in at the beginning of the meet? At the end?

Nice to see you here Fred! I had a Mullard 12AU7 for the gain tube and GE 5687s for the power tubes at the start of the meet. I tried the markl modded D5000s on that set and it sounded hollow and just not right, I'm not sure if you tried that on. So thinking something was wrong, I switched to the Tungsol 5687s which was left on for the rest of the meet. That was the set I had when you tried it w/ the HD650s.

When I got home, I tried the GE 5687s again and they sounded fine to me. I guess the markl D5000 is just not for me. Your semi-modded D5000 sounded fine through my Raptor though.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #171 of 566
You know, I had been listening to my MD5000.5s lot since I got them. But hearing the HD650s on that Raptor? AMAZING. So now, I've been listening to my HD650s for the last couple of days. I guess I had forgotten how much I love these cans.

I'm excited to go overseas and see what Taiwan and the rest of Asia have to offer in the way of Head-Fi. I definitely am considering making a trip to Hong Kong soon after I get there. When I went last year, I had not yet gotten into this addiction. It may be a different experience this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see you here Fred! I had a Mullard 12AU7 for the gain tube and GE 5687s for the power tubes at the start of the meet. I tried the markl modded D5000s on that set and it sounded hollow and just not right, I'm not sure if you tried that on. So thinking something was wrong, I switched to the Tungsol 5687s which was left on for the rest of the meet. That was the set I had when you tried it w/ the HD650s.

When I got home, I tried the GE 5687s again and they sounded fine to me. I guess the markl D5000 is just not for me. Your semi-modded D5000 sounded fine through my Raptor though.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #172 of 566
Quote:

You know, I had been listening to my MD5000.5s lot since I got them. But hearing the HD650s on that Raptor? AMAZING. So now, I've been listening to my HD650s for the last couple of days. I guess I had forgotten how much I love these cans.

I'm excited to go overseas and see what Taiwan and the rest of Asia have to offer in the way of Head-Fi. I definitely am considering making a trip to Hong Kong soon after I get there. When I went last year, I had not yet gotten into this addiction. It may be a different experience this time.

I agree, the HD650s are definitely special when you find components that synergize well with it. While my HD600s paired w/ the Raptor is certainly not bad, I was surprised with the synergy that the HD650 had. In fact, I am now looking for a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure there's a lot of good head-fi gear in Asia, you probably will find a few gems when you get there.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #173 of 566
For those who have been missing out vocals and mid range frequencies on Grado GS1K and Raptor should try out the Amperex 7316 and Tung Sol 5687. The combination of the 2 tubes change the sound spectrum completely.

I was almost giving up the GS1K shortly after getting the Raptor until I discovered this thread. I am satisfied with the Amperex 7316 whicj I won off eBay and I would recommend this combination to all jazz lovers.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #174 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have been missing out vocals and mid range frequencies on Grado GS1K and Raptor should try out the Amperex 7316 and Tung Sol 5687. The combination of the 2 tubes change the sound spectrum completely.

Glad to hear ya like it!

I felt the same way when I first got the 7316 and then a week after, I felt like it became a little dry and lifeless. Come to think of it, it was probably me experiencing listening fatigue/burnout. I brought it back to my tube dealer and he tested it and it tested fine. Well he took it back regardless and refunded me but I think I'm getting another one in the near future.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #175 of 566
I have experienced tubes loosing their magic after burn in. I have a Quicksilver preamp that would sound wonderful with new tubes but then the magic would leave but it ran the tubes hard. I also think sometimes it is just the tube and some run in fine and stay great. So many variables are at stake.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #176 of 566
I'm also interested in the Amperex BugleBoy 7316, and about to get it from eBay.

I'm curious about it because of the way people describe how it sounds - 3D midrange.

It may work really well with my audio-technica ATH-W3000.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #177 of 566
Quote:

You know, I had been listening to my MD5000.5s lot since I got them. But hearing the HD650s on that Raptor? AMAZING.

The HD650s on the Raptor are something special. The 600 ohm DT880s also sound pretty amazing on the Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back