Absolute best budget earbuds?
Sep 6, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #2,716 of 2,999
Yes its the RY4S UE that I was praising.I did burn it in for a week before I did any critical listening. I have an mmcx version of the RY4S+ that Im burning in now.Looks like I might purchase the Edifier H180 next to see what that's like.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #2,717 of 2,999
I bought a bunch of RY4S UE as Christmas presents last year. Are the R4YS UE still the best earbuds for under $10? I liked them more than the Snow Lotus Plus

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #2,718 of 2,999
I bought a bunch of RY4S UE as Christmas presents last year. Are the R4YS UE still the best earbuds for under $10? I liked them more than the Snow Lotus Plus

I really like my RY4S UE, but I think I'll change the cable connector to a 2.5mm TRRS this weekend, since I use Balanced outputs most of the time on my amps and DAPs. :ksc75smile:

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,719 of 2,999
Received these 3 RY4S this week:

RY4S Transparent-B
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bY_V...ne-MX500-style-earphone-3-5mm.jpg_640x640.jpg

RY4S black NO Mic
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1o0oO...ne-MX500-style-earphone-3-5mm.jpg_640x640.jpg

RY4S UE cable black
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1duQu...ne-MX500-style-earphone-3-5mm.jpg_640x640.jpg

I tested them for some time, but to me none of them sound as nice as the Edifier H180. The UE version has a different driver / signature than the cheaper ones with seemingly less bass.
There seems to be a consensus here that the RY4S is a great budget earbud, but it also seems that some people are talking about the UE version and others about the non-UE.
I'm not using an equalizer and they aren't burned in yet, so maybe that's why they sound a bit underwhelming to me.

Still waiting for a couple other earbuds to arrive (Vido, NICEHCK B40, Ollivan MS16).
I have the UE version and like them. I haven't been listening to them recently though since I got some KSC75s and PortaPros I've been putting through their paces. I never AB'd the RY4Ss so maybe I'll do that compared to my Monk+s and Fengru Silvers and really see how they compare. I don't have the Edifiers to compare to unfortunately.

I'm curious what you think of the Vidos. I wasn't a big fan. Too scooped for me.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,720 of 2,999
I have the UE version and like them. I haven't been listening to them recently though since I got some KSC75s and PortaPros I've been putting through their paces. I never AB'd the RY4Ss so maybe I'll do that compared to my Monk+s and Fengru Silvers and really see how they compare. I don't have the Edifiers to compare to unfortunately.

I'm curious what you think of the Vidos. I wasn't a big fan. Too scooped for me.

Ordered a black Vido also from the NiceHCK shop, just in case the blue ones that I ordered elsewhere don't arrive or they aren't the real deal somehow.

Liking the RY4S UE a lot now after more burning in and listening. Definitely in a different league than the standard RY4S.

The final showdown for me is gonna be between the Edifier H180, RY4S UE, NiceHCK B40 and Vido.

Did anyone make any frequency response graphs for these? They all seem to have their own unique signature. I think someone posted one for the Vido somewhere.

edit: Just came across this website: https://hiendportable.com/2019/03/02/respuestas-de-frecuencia/ are those graphs any good? (only the B40 is missing there atm)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #2,723 of 2,999
Hi guys,
I got some B40s from NICEHCK because they send me a message when they went live, i got them for ~8$ and the sound is amazing it is so warm and the bass is excellent.
The fit from these casings is also a LOT better for me than MX500, these actually stay in my ears while walking... excellent buy.

Yes, they do sound amazing and I love the fit, although I can also wear the the ones with the MX500 shells.

Either my ear has stretched or I have better learned to fit earbuds because at first I thought those shells were too big for me. My first bud was a Monk+ which I do really like now that they fit better than they did two years ago.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #2,725 of 2,999
The Monk+ should get more recognition as a great all-rounder imo - and they last, they seem unbreakable!

The shells seem to be a better quality than the average MX500 shells. The colors are nice too but I am sad that he does not plan to release more. They seem almost like they are discontinued. I found a couple on ebay so I could recable with some pretty cables.

This one, is now no longer technically a Monk+. One of the drivers died while attempting the recable so my husband put in different drivers... some really cool reclaimed old stock driver of unknown origin.

So, they are now the Mystery Monk and they sound amazing. I still have my stock purple Monk+

Also seen in the photo is my recabled Coffee Monk+.... that one still has the stock drivers.

R0014975.JPG

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,726 of 2,999
The shells seem to be a better quality than the average MX500 shells. The colors are nice too but I am sad that he does not plan to release more. They seem almost like they are discontinued. I found a couple on ebay so I could recable with some pretty cables.

This one, is now no longer technically a Monk+. One of the drivers died while attempting the recable so my husband put in different drivers... some really cool reclaimed old stock driver of unknown origin.

So, they are now the Mystery Monk and they sound amazing. I still have my stock purple Monk+

Also seen in the photo is my recabled Coffee Monk+.... that one still has the stock drivers.

You gotta love those mysteries!

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,727 of 2,999
Ry4s UE indeed very very good. Almost a year in my possession and I like it better than RW9 to be honest. Ry4s scales great with better source. However if I can have subbass of RW9 and the rest of UE combines I'd be happy to get one.

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,728 of 2,999
Ry4s UE indeed very very good. Almost a year in my possession and I like it better than RW9 to be honest. Ry4s scales great with better source. However if I can have subbass of RW9 and the rest of UE combines I'd be happy to get one.

Whoa - them's fighting words lol! I'll have to break out my UE's for a listen :)

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #2,729 of 2,999
To be honest UE been in my drawer for couple of months after I get my sora iem.

Just recently I played Rise of Nation with em and they sounded very beautiful. And this week I finished my pi player with Moode and hook it to my D10 dac + o2 combo as a streamer / upnp renderer and UE pairs marvellously. On the it he hand, RW9 seems held back by its own limitation perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back