Absolute best budget earbuds?
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #2,686 of 2,999
On a more general note, I'm still on my quest to find a nice bassy but good sub-10$ earbud

You really need to check out the Earbuds Round-Up thread. It has much more activity. If you read the first post in this thread you will find this thread was never set up for how we are using it now. It was someone just asking a question.

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #2,687 of 2,999
If you search this thread and also the Earbuds Round-Up thread you should find posts from back when people were first recommending and enjoying them. It was always pointed out that they do not have anything to do with the actual Philips company. They never have.

So weird that there are fakes of them.

I think what was being implied before is that it was a rebadged Chinese product, marketed and sold by Philips. But my theory is that Philips never had a hand in this and it was just made up / faked to pass off as a generic branded product.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #2,688 of 2,999
I think what was being implied before is that it was a rebadged Chinese product, marketed and sold by Philips. But my theory is that Philips never had a hand in this and it was just made up / faked to pass off as a generic branded product.

That was what I said. It never had anything to do with Philips.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2,690 of 2,999
Could you confirm if the Edifier H180 and SHE3800 (non-fake) are really the same and have the same sound? Because there's a lot of conflicting messages.

I have just asked my husband @HungryPanda to listen to them and decide. I can't put them in my ears at the moment...keeping my ears fresh for something new that has just arrived.

It was never my impression that they are the same. Just the same shell..as happens with many buds.

I know there are many more people in the Round-Up thread who have heard them both or know more of the story behind them.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,691 of 2,999
I ordered a pair of SHE3800s from AE for about $4, but I think they may be fake. The sound was unbelievably boxy (as if sound was coming through a literal wall), and one of the drivers started rattling badly about 10 minutes into my first listening session. Certainly sounded nothing like H180s, but again, I have my doubts that they were genuine.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,692 of 2,999
I have just had a listen to both Edifier H180 and SHE3800 and have to say SHE3800 has a fuller sound due to more elevated bass, vocals are further back in the mix. The Edifier H180 needs a little more power, has less bass but more forward vocals and higher treble. The two earbuds sound very different from each other.

SHE3800 is black
20190819_150127[1].jpg

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,693 of 2,999
I ordered a pair of SHE3800s from AE for about $4, but I think they may be fake. The sound was unbelievably boxy (as if sound was coming through a literal wall), and one of the drivers started rattling badly about 10 minutes into my first listening session. Certainly sounded nothing like H180s, but again, I have my doubts that they were genuine.
Could you check your packaging and connector to see which version it matches? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/absolute-best-budget-earbuds.812853/page-179#post-15132469

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #2,694 of 2,999
Could you check your packaging and connector to see which version it matches? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/absolute-best-budget-earbuds.812853/page-179#post-15132469
Unfortunately I threw the packaging away right after receiving them, but here's the connector. It actually looks more like the first pic in your post that you identify as genuine than the second pic of your pair. But man, I can't overstate how bad these are (or were, before the rattling started and I couldn't even really test them anymore).

Oh, and mine were ordered from the HUAWEIOffice Store on AE: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32987220805.html

she3800.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,695 of 2,999

That's exactly what happened with my fake pair, word for word. I've seen drivers like that before in a nokia mobile phone headset that I opened once to rip the cable of it. Very generic and if they sounded okay it's an accident.

It's a pity about these bad versions. My previous favorite pair of buds was a pair of Yuin PK2. I had them for years till I lost them. They cost about €40 so I though I'd try the Monk+ instead. I can say that the good Phillips is almost as good as the YUIN if not as good and imo quite a bit better than the Monk which I didn't think was anything special.

I've contacted the AE supplier a few days ago about the fakes but they haven't replied yet.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,698 of 2,999
I love the RY4S UE earbuds and wondered if the RY4S plus mmcx has the same sound signature? I have a pair of tin Audio T2 that just don't fit comfortably in my ears. Realized Im not an IEM person but I have the mmcx cable from the T2 so I wanted find some use for it and the RY4S mmcx plus model seems like a good option. I've never read any detailed reviews except for a few people saying to go with the plus version rather than the normal version. Just want to know if the sound signature is close to the RY4S UE. thanks

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,699 of 2,999
Here are my SHE3800s. I don't have the packaging anymore. They sound alright. No broken drivers. I'm not blown away by them but I keep them by my bad for playing 3DS or watching stuff on my phone and they sound good for that. I wonder if they are they same drivers as the "good" ones.

11RlZyE.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,700 of 2,999
Here are my SHE3800s. I don't have the packaging anymore. They sound alright. No broken drivers. I'm not blown away by them but I keep them by my bad for playing 3DS or watching stuff on my phone and they sound good for that. I wonder if they are they same drivers as the "good" ones.

That's the same one that I have and the one that ezzony described as being "not original".

The "original" one (with supposedly better sound) should have this connector:

EHNYAD8.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back