Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #2,671 of 2,999
At this point I personally hesitate to recommend anything to you because I cannot presume to know exactly what you desire. You might not hear things the exact same way that I do.

I think you should be asking in the regular Earbuds Roundup thread. This thread is very inactive compared to that one.

Also you should mention some kind of a budget. Would you spend $30? You say you are thinking of getting the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro IEM which is around $100. Why do you expect a $4 earbud to compete?

so why are you asking my budget? ***.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #2,672 of 2,999
so why are you asking my budget? ***.

Because I did not understand how much or how little you wanted to spend on a bud. This is the budget thread. Usually just buds around $10 or so are discussed in here. Sounds like you prefer iems anyway.

Just was trying to help.

Jul 19, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #2,673 of 2,999
should be getting RY4S very soon. Do these buds need any burn in time to sound their best? Thanks
They really don't take much burn in and sounds great right away, imo. Especially coming from VE Monk Pluses.

Jul 19, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #2,674 of 2,999
Oh I see. Will ask there too then.

I use donut foam 100% of the time....EB2 sound too fowards for me....and flat....and well, its very subjective. M80 intrigue me as they use part of EBX housing that could give wide airy out of your head soundstage....

The ME80 soundstage is more spacious than EB2, I do actually prefer the ME80 SQ over the EB2, it sounds smoother and a bit fuller overall whereas the EB2 can be a bit thin sounding at times and a little peaky (I use Heigi donut as it moves the driver away from the ear just enough to minimize the peaks). Even though the ME80 shares similar housing to EBX, the shell is actually larger and bigger driver (15.4mm vs 14.8mm) which may or may not have an impact on your ear size. I share same opinion as mbwilson111, the EB2 is noticeably more comfortable for my ears, luckily I like the sound of EB2. The ME80 are quite impressive though, regardless of price.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,675 of 2,999
For earbuds I'd probably say the RY4S UE. The UE cable has no microphonics and they sound great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32820438211.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5b964c4dUjvZFU

If you get these, make sure you select one with the UE cable. I got the navy blue buds with the brown cable.

Just got them ordered the same day you made this post. Even with the import fees I had to pay doubling the price they are excellent value and I like the sound so far.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #2,676 of 2,999
Just got them ordered the same day you made this post. Even with the import fees I had to pay doubling the price they are excellent value and I like the sound so far.
Nice! Glad you like them! They've been my go to earbuds recently.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #2,677 of 2,999
So Im trying to figure out what's the difference between the Faaeal snow lotus 1.0+ and the anniversary edition of the same earbud that is a bright blue in color. The anniversary version is more expensive but is it a different sound from the regular snow lotus 1.0+?

I own the Ry4S UE and it is amazing and all my music sounds exciting and different but the quest goes on. Any feedback on the Fengru Silver MX 985?

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2,678 of 2,999
I ordered a third pair of the Phillips she800. My previous ones had lets say durability issues but I don't mind upgrading the cable on them. Ordered from the same supplier and when I tried them on.. ugggh!
FAKES! Just the drivers, everything else was exactly the same, the housing, the cable, the packaging they arrived in. Thankfully of the 3 I have had delivered I've salvaged from all that one working pair with a custom android remote cable. Phew.

So beware if you got them and they didn't live up to the hype!

Also, I got the RY4S. In comparison to the she800 they are completely different sound sig. Wider sound stage and much brighter. I like them but not as much as the she800. I call the Phillips my mini HD650 - strong mids, great imaging, not huge soundstage, solid bass. The RY4S are more like a mini Superlux HD-681 which are indeed bright with very wide soundstage but lacking in a bit of overall quality. Good for certain types of music. Nicer cable on them though which seems a bit more durable that the Philips, which wouldn't be hard. I'll be swapping between the 2.

d43QwXT

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,679 of 2,999
Does anyone have any experience with the RY4S mmcx earbuds and how they differ in sound quality from the RY4S mmcx plus? The plus is twice as expensive. I own the RY4S UE and absolutely love them. Want to try the mmcx version but no info on the plus vs the normal version of these buds. Maybe I should just buy another RY4S UE and be done with it. So many choices on earbuds.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #2,680 of 2,999
Does anyone have any experience with the RY4S mmcx earbuds and how they differ in sound quality from the RY4S mmcx plus? The plus is twice as expensive. I own the RY4S UE and absolutely love them. Want to try the mmcx version but no info on the plus vs the normal version of these buds. Maybe I should just buy another RY4S UE and be done with it. So many choices on earbuds.

If you love the RY4S UE and you want an MMCX bud then the RY4S Plus MMCX is an excellent choice. If you go over to the main thread... the Earbuds Round-Up and do a search for the Plus, you will find positive impressions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2939#post-15130204

2am here so I can't add anything else at this time.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #2,681 of 2,999
Aug 18, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,683 of 2,999
My Philips SHE3800 must be fakes. I'm really not a fan. But they aren't terrible which made me think they might not be fakes. But they probably are. Bought from AliExpress.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #2,684 of 2,999
I ordered a third pair of the Phillips she800. My previous ones had lets say durability issues but I don't mind upgrading the cable on them. Ordered from the same supplier and when I tried them on.. ugggh!
FAKES! Just the drivers, everything else was exactly the same, the housing, the cable, the packaging they arrived in. Thankfully of the 3 I have had delivered I've salvaged from all that one working pair with a custom android remote cable. Phew.

So beware if you got them and they didn't live up to the hype!

d43QwXT

My Philips SHE3800 must be fakes. I'm really not a fan. But they aren't terrible which made me think they might not be fakes. But they probably are. Bought from AliExpress.

Hello,

I just happened to be in the same position. I ordered 2 x SHE3800 from the 'PhilipsEarphone Authorization Store' seller on aliexpress. They sounded fairly nice, so I didn't question their authenticity. However, the first pair broke down last weekend after just a couple weeks. There wasn't any sound coming from the left ear. I broke off the cap (guess there's no way of removing it gently?) and concluded that 1 of the wires got disconnected. Then I came across ezzony's post, which prompted me to dig into this a bit deeper. The questions that I began to ask myself:

- How to distinguish between the real SHE3800 and the fake ones?
- Is this even a real Philips product or could it have been made up?

To answer the first question, I started comparing some pictures. Here are some pictures of what appears to be the "legit" version.
Packaging:
ptrxsxr.jpg

Another packaging shot:
vHkHx5n.jpg

Connector:
gpKwuC2.jpg

Another connector shot:
EHNYAD8.jpg

One thing that is unclear to me is that some pictures (like this one: https://i.imgur.com/HJqP2IJ.jpg ) and also this youtube review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NU4VSno7bM are showing foam caps with holes for the speakers. I don't know if these are custom or if they actually came shipped with the product.

The version that I received from aliexpress is different in several ways:
Packaging:
jSCQ0dK.jpg

Connector:
QYoomAD.jpg

Opened up:
KaYGWqN.jpg

As you can see, the sticker on the packaging has rectangular edges and different lettering, with "maximum" written all lowercase. The connector is also different and the inside parts look identical to the "not original" one in ezzony's picture.

There seem to be at least 2 other "fakes". One has a sticker that is different again:
kbxRHIU.jpg

with round edges and with a non-capitalized m for "maximum" but more narrow text spacing than the other one. In addition, another member here posted about receiving a pair that had "PHILPS" instead of "PHILIPS" (hah).

So my conclusion is that there's at least 4 different versions of the SHE3800 being sold. There seems to be no shop atm that is only shipping out the "real" one.

To answer the second question, whether the SHE3800 is real to begin with, we can make the following observations:
- The parts (in any case the shell) seem to be OEM parts that are used by several manufacturers. One of the clones, the "Edifier H180", that are still sold and have been available since at least 2012, looks identical and people have been reported to sound identically as well. Some pictures: https://www.edifier.com/us/en/headphones-earphones/h180-hifi-classic-earbuds - https://cdn.ventmere.com/edifier-dev/uploads/2019-03/edifier-h180-black_HkOI5FYDV.jpg
- There's no reference of this particular SHE3800 on any official Philips website or any distributors or retailers. In fact, Philips released another (IEM earphone) product with the same model number in 2016: https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/she3800bk_00/she3800bk_00_pss_.pdf , well after the other SHE3800 already hit the Asian market.
- I've asked the Philips customer service if they can confirm if there was ever any SHE3800 released besides the IEM one. I don't know if I'll get a satisfactory response from them, but it seems more likely that this product was made up altogether and that someone just wanted to use some cheap OEM parts and sell them as a real branded product.

I'm not sure where this leaves us. I'll probably be moving on to other earbuds, because the way it stands now, the SHE3800 as a product seems to be a big pack of lies.

On a more general note, I'm still on my quest to find a nice bassy but good sub-10$ earbud. I don't know if the Edifier H180 might fit that bill and if it's really identical to the praised version of the SHE3800 (that is now hard or impossible to find). Some lists that I've come across:
https://audiobudget.com/leaderboard/earbud
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6bkrhy/battle_of_the_budget_earbuds/

Ordered but not received:
- Edifier H180 (9 USD) (from the official Edifier aliexpress store)
- Vido (2 USD)
- Ollivan MS16 (5 USD, cheaper version that should be identical to the Headroom MS16)
- RY4S (3 USD + 5 USD)
- RY4S UE (9 USD)

If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know. I already owned the VE Monk+, but am not terribly impressed with them. Makes me wonder why they discontinued the VE Monk and didn't start manufacturing them again when everybody is so much more impressed with those.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #2,685 of 2,999
Is this even a real Philips product or could it have been made up?

If you search this thread and also the Earbuds Round-Up thread you should find posts from back when people were first recommending and enjoying them. It was always pointed out that they do not have anything to do with the actual Philips company. They never have.

So weird that there are fakes of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back