Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jun 19, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #2,611 of 2,999
It was @golov17 who got me interested in ear buds way back when with the original $5 Monk. They took me by complete surprise after decades of only on-ear and over-ear headphones, and a brief interlude in the early 80’s with a portable Sony cassette player that came with some pretty good headband ear buds (can’t remember the model of player but it folded in on itself to the exact size of a cassette, and expanded the width of the play head to accommodate the cassette. Was super awesome tech at the time). I thank @golov17 immensely for getting me into ear buds, and bought several of the OG Monks, some still sealed in the package (No, you can’t have). But I didn’t stick with the bud threads for long before back to the full-size cans and more purchases in that category. Found this thread and for kept up on posts, and then the itch in my back pocket began anew. So, after purchasing several of the budget ear buds in this thread, I am ready to comment briefly on each. Remember, this is just my opinion, and my 65-year old ears, and we may happily disagree! In no special order, here goes:

Snow-Lotus 1.0+:
This bud nails it in so many ways. The bass on this by far trumps the others and this ole’ rock-n-roller is happy about that. Meaty, with a kick, it just sounds right and reaches very low. Tested on Audiocheck.net to confirm it’s reaching below 30Hz and man it sounds good. Pretty good mids too, with voices sounding pretty good and guitars wailing. Treble seems a smidge sibilant, however, minor EQ touch smooths it out. Cymbals and such a tad bright and unnatural. All said, where this bud really, and I mean really, shines is the soundstage. Wide, wide open and sounding terrific. Best I have ever heard from an ear bud, and right up there with some of my regular cans. Nice cloth type cable too!

Snow-Lotus 1.0:
Nowhere near the good sound of its sibling. A little recessed in the mids, lacking bass clarity, and a much narrower, closed soundstage. To me the difference between the two is night and day. Go figure. Passing this one on to someone who does not care. Goodbye!

Qian 39:
Most comfortable of the ear buds due to the smaller shell. This bud doesn’t seem to stand out in any one characteristic, but perhaps that what makes it ultimately listenable. Was my most listened-to bud til arrival of the SL1.0+. Now relegated to the small zippered case. I like(d) this bud, but its smoothness is almost boring sometimes, when what I really want is a slap in the face (wife, step up please). I like to listen at low volume while in bed and it loses too much dynamics when down low. Very good price though and a keeper fer’ sure – at least for now.

Ry4S UE:
A very, very, very good ear bud. Sounds on par with my better over-ear cans. Well balanced across the whole spectrum with fabulous instrument separation, outstanding soundstage, great treble not overdone, plenty of low-end grunt, voices sounding extremely natural. What more can a Head-Fier ask for? Nothing. Price to value ratio off the charts and I hope to die with ‘em. They are that good. Listen to Bryan Adam’s Long Gone from the Reckless album or Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Tin Pan Alley and you will drink the Kool-Aid. No EQ needed. Just Love. Pure Love.

NiceHCK Vido:
Bang. Bang. Bang for the buck. Bass done nicely and I like the slight V-shaped sound. Very good for all my 70’s vinyl rips. Where a lot of music in that day was recorded with little impacting bass, this bud brings it out. Again, EQ where needed and enjoy. I have long listening sessions with this one and am never disappointed. What does disappoint is the flimsy J-cable, but none have failed me yet. Will keep a close eye on the handy solder iron just in case. A better cable may be in order. Heck, it’s a $3.00 bud – forget that. Just buy another. I did, for backups. No regrets.

Yincrow X6:
Another nicely baked bud. Smooth and enjoyable listen, just nothing standing out, and therein lies the problem. I like a slightly forward sound and this one sits back just a little, just a little recessed sounding to me. Good bass, smooth treble, and maybe the best mids of the bunch here. Not forward enough for me though. Great and sturdy cable. Needs a little more power due to 32Ohms. Will pair it up with several portable players and see if it matches better. I want to like it better, much better, I really do. Probably a no-brainer for the masses.

DIY PK1 SR2 16Ohm:

What is all the fuss about this bud? I get too easily taken in sometimes and bought it. The whole sound is too far back for me and there is nothing exciting about the sound. Bland and bland. Average sound quality and minimally decent cable. Can’t say it’s the worst bud I have ever bought, just not equal to its price. Other heads said “burn it in” and it will open the sound up. I just want to burn it. I don’t believe in burn in, and that this one did not change after a few hundred hours attests to truth. Oh Well.

All impressions from a Topping stack (D30/A30) for continuity and ease of volume matching while testing. Mostly 24/96 files with Foobar2000. So, there you have it. The most long-winded post I have ever done on Head-Fi by a large margin. It is fun buying and trying different ear buds (just ask MBWIlson) but I have no desire to climb the price ladder and am calling it quits (So you say Stan!) But I will keep reading until the next Ry4S UE shows up – then I am sure it’s off to the races again! Off to my Philips Fidelio X2’s now. Just wanted to share my experiences with the group. Happy listening. Later.

Jun 19, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,612 of 2,999
It was @golov17 who got me interested in ear buds way back when with the original $5 Monk. They took me by complete surprise after decades of only on-ear and over-ear headphones, and a brief interlude in the early 80’s with a portable Sony cassette player that came with some pretty good headband ear buds (can’t remember the model of player but it folded in on itself to the exact size of a cassette, and expanded the width of the play head to accommodate the cassette. Was super awesome tech at the time). I thank @golov17 immensely for getting me into ear buds, and bought several of the OG Monks, some still sealed in the package (No, you can’t have). But I didn’t stick with the bud threads for long before back to the full-size cans and more purchases in that category. Found this thread and for kept up on posts, and then the itch in my back pocket began anew. So, after purchasing several of the budget ear buds in this thread, I am ready to comment briefly on each. Remember, this is just my opinion, and my 65-year old ears, and we may happily disagree! In no special order, here goes:

Snow-Lotus 1.0+:
This bud nails it in so many ways. The bass on this by far trumps the others and this ole’ rock-n-roller is happy about that. Meaty, with a kick, it just sounds right and reaches very low. Tested on Audiocheck.net to confirm it’s reaching below 30Hz and man it sounds good. Pretty good mids too, with voices sounding pretty good and guitars wailing. Treble seems a smidge sibilant, however, minor EQ touch smooths it out. Cymbals and such a tad bright and unnatural. All said, where this bud really, and I mean really, shines is the soundstage. Wide, wide open and sounding terrific. Best I have ever heard from an ear bud, and right up there with some of my regular cans. Nice cloth type cable too!

Snow-Lotus 1.0:
Nowhere near the good sound of its sibling. A little recessed in the mids, lacking bass clarity, and a much narrower, closed soundstage. To me the difference between the two is night and day. Go figure. Passing this one on to someone who does not care. Goodbye!

Qian 39:
Most comfortable of the ear buds due to the smaller shell. This bud doesn’t seem to stand out in any one characteristic, but perhaps that what makes it ultimately listenable. Was my most listened-to bud til arrival of the SL1.0+. Now relegated to the small zippered case. I like(d) this bud, but its smoothness is almost boring sometimes, when what I really want is a slap in the face (wife, step up please). I like to listen at low volume while in bed and it loses too much dynamics when down low. Very good price though and a keeper fer’ sure – at least for now.

Ry4S UE:
A very, very, very good ear bud. Sounds on par with my better over-ear cans. Well balanced across the whole spectrum with fabulous instrument separation, outstanding soundstage, great treble not overdone, plenty of low-end grunt, voices sounding extremely natural. What more can a Head-Fier ask for? Nothing. Price to value ratio off the charts and I hope to die with ‘em. They are that good. Listen to Bryan Adam’s Long Gone from the Reckless album or Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Tin Pan Alley and you will drink the Kool-Aid. No EQ needed. Just Love. Pure Love.

NiceHCK Vido:
Bang. Bang. Bang for the buck. Bass done nicely and I like the slight V-shaped sound. Very good for all my 70’s vinyl rips. Where a lot of music in that day was recorded with little impacting bass, this bud brings it out. Again, EQ where needed and enjoy. I have long listening sessions with this one and am never disappointed. What does disappoint is the flimsy J-cable, but none have failed me yet. Will keep a close eye on the handy solder iron just in case. A better cable may be in order. Heck, it’s a $3.00 bud – forget that. Just buy another. I did, for backups. No regrets.

Yincrow X6:
Another nicely baked bud. Smooth and enjoyable listen, just nothing standing out, and therein lies the problem. I like a slightly forward sound and this one sits back just a little, just a little recessed sounding to me. Good bass, smooth treble, and maybe the best mids of the bunch here. Not forward enough for me though. Great and sturdy cable. Needs a little more power due to 32Ohms. Will pair it up with several portable players and see if it matches better. I want to like it better, much better, I really do. Probably a no-brainer for the masses.

DIY PK1 SR2 16Ohm:

What is all the fuss about this bud? I get too easily taken in sometimes and bought it. The whole sound is too far back for me and there is nothing exciting about the sound. Bland and bland. Average sound quality and minimally decent cable. Can’t say it’s the worst bud I have ever bought, just not equal to its price. Other heads said “burn it in” and it will open the sound up. I just want to burn it. I don’t believe in burn in, and that this one did not change after a few hundred hours attests to truth. Oh Well.

All impressions from a Topping stack (D30/A30) for continuity and ease of volume matching while testing. Mostly 24/96 files with Foobar2000. So, there you have it. The most long-winded post I have ever done on Head-Fi by a large margin. It is fun buying and trying different ear buds (just ask MBWIlson) but I have no desire to climb the price ladder and am calling it quits (So you say Stan!) But I will keep reading until the next Ry4S UE shows up – then I am sure it’s off to the races again! Off to my Philips Fidelio X2’s now. Just wanted to share my experiences with the group. Happy listening. Later.

Nice impressions! I have the SL 1.0+'s, Quian 39's and RYRS UE's, and I agree with your assessment of them.

Even though the Kube V1's are $16US (with shipping added), they might be a nice addition to your collection (they are very good and quite unique).

Edit: and these Fengru Silvers at $4.99US are no brainers.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,613 of 2,999

Snow-Lotus 1.0+:

Snow-Lotus 1.0:

Qian 39:

Ry4S UE:

NiceHCK Vido:

Yincrow X6:

DIY PK1 SR2 16Ohm:

I agree with you on the Yincrow X6's. I also wanted to like them since they sound good, but the vocals sit so far back I end up cranking up the volume higher than I like to listen.

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #2,614 of 2,999
So after two full days of listening to the RY4S UE's, I'm a fan. I was disappointed in the Vido's and the Yincrow X6's but these are the real deal. They sound great without foams which is how I prefer to listen. Also, I didn't expect to like the UE cable but it's great.

I gave the Vido's to my wife as a backup for her IEMs since she tends to misplace them. I'm not sure what I'll do with the X6's yet. Probably just shove them in my drawer at work just in case I need them.

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #2,615 of 2,999
I got the Fengru Silvers today. Shipping was faster than I expected. I'm afraid to say that they sound.... really good! I need to burn them in more but first impressions are fantastic. I haven't found a genre they can't handle yet.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,616 of 2,999
I got the Fengru Silvers today. Shipping was faster than I expected. I'm afraid to say that they sound.... really good! I need to burn them in more but first impressions are fantastic. I haven't found a genre they can't handle yet.

Lol - when you said that you are afraid, I was afraid!

Glad you like them!

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,617 of 2,999
Lol - when you said that you are afraid, I was afraid!

Glad you like them!
Haha, thanks!

I'm not sure if I prefer the Silvers or the RY4S UEs more yet. I like the UE cable more at least. I've been switching between them at work but haven't really paid attention to the sound other than them both sounding good.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,618 of 2,999
Haha, thanks!

I'm not sure if I prefer the Silvers or the RY4S UEs more yet. I like the UE cable more at least. I've been switching between them at work but haven't really paid attention to the sound other than them both sounding good.

I've given up on trying to figure out which of the many <$20 excellent buds I prefer the most. I now am like @mbwilson111 and just enjoy whichever ones I throw in my ears, since they are all great :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #2,620 of 2,999
Jul 3, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,623 of 2,999
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #2,624 of 2,999
I am listening to my Sony E808+ and am really enjoying it's bass, but I can no longer find them onsale anywhere online, does anyone know where I can buy a back up pair?

Also, can someone with the Fengru silvers compare with the E808+?

TIA

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,625 of 2,999
I purchased the Philips she3800 and I like them a lot. After more than a year with the MONK plus I think the phillips are better sq to my ear. They are certainly a way more comfortable and I think because of the long neck on the driver housing it makes them less prone to wobble. I was never blown away with the monk anyway. Unfortunately the cable broke above the jack after only 3 days use so I recabled them with something I had laying around. That was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to stick an android remote cable on them at some point, would anyone have a recommendation?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back