Absolute best budget earbuds?
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,582 of 2,999
Wow those drivers look much nicer. Not going to open my black one to look...
Don't open them if you don't have to. It's absolutely PITA to keep them from falling apart. Need monk-like zen to gently pry open the shell and tape up the driver immediately to handle them safely. I've been putting off fixing a batch of broken ones that my boy killed; not looking forward to that job.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #2,583 of 2,999
Don't open them if you don't have to. It's absolutely PITA to keep them from falling apart. Need monk-like zen to gently pry open the shell and tape up the driver immediately to handle them safely. I've been putting off fixing a batch of broken ones that my boy killed; not looking forward to that job.

Our black ones have already been successfully opened and recabled... as in the post I showed the other day. Those did not fall apart ... we were lucky!

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,584 of 2,999
Our black ones have already been successfully opened and recabled... as in the post I showed the other day. Those did not fall apart ... we were lucky!
Less about luck and more like panda dexterity and zen focus!
29144351408_2f086eb79d_b.jpg

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2,586 of 2,999
but that failed with the grey one....
I suppose it was good luck that the grey one with the bad driver broke, instead of the black one.
Once I get round to fixing the broken E808+s, I'll take some photos of the workflow and post them up on DIY earbuds thread. It's pretty straightforward. Could get more people rolling their own earbuds. Especially with MX500 shells, those respond quite readily to small tweaks (from the little bit that I'd played with them).

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #2,587 of 2,999
Can you suggest some smaller enclosures or enclosures with different shapes because Monk + and other earphones using same shell (probably MX500) do not fitfit well and tend to fall out because my ear opening is smaller.

BTW, youyou h truly said that these forums are dangerous. A year back i accidentally came across a post here telling about Monk+. I was allured and bought one, got the addiction and now have at least 15 earphones and iem, 4 USB DACs, 2 Amps etc. And the most dangerous side is, once you discover some nuances in your favourite track while listening through these earphones, which you never heard before in your main midfi system, you start craving for a more capable Hifi system thereby draining more money. In fact this happened to me. Anyway, I am enjoying this hobby with a renewed zeal.

Regards
Partha
I have the same problem with Monkey...Look for PK2 shell...are perfect for me.

May 10, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #2,588 of 2,999
Anyone has experience with Philips SHE1350 or SHE3010? I had a pair of SHE3800 and I like it a lot, but after recabling the shell it broken so I had to let it go. I wonder if one of these two can bring the mood of the 3800 back because they are more expensive where i live?

May 21, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #2,589 of 2,999
I have a VE Monk+ and I like it so far but unfortunately build quality of it is not the best and it will fail in a next few weeks probably.

At this point is there anything new that can replace the good old monk or should I buy Monk+ again or do you have another suggestion ? My budget is extremely limited for earbuds, lets say $10 incl. shipping.

There are people suggesting "Faaeal" brand. What do you think of it?
I have the Faaeal Snow-Lotus 1.0 and I love them. They're warmer and have more bass than the Monk+, with a little more rolled off treble, but still lots of detail.

May 21, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,591 of 2,999
May 22, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #2,592 of 2,999
My fav earbuds now. From left to right:
- Edifier H185P with Canare L4e5at cable, sounds sharp and bright, nice detail. Cost me about 10$ for the buds and 8$ for cable
- Docomo noname earbud with hybrid cable, sounds smooth and neutral, superb detail. Cost ~7$ for the buds and 35$ for cable
- DIY Tesla driver earbud, sounds warm and a little bit lack in treble, great bass. Cost all around 18$

IMG_4833.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #2,594 of 2,999
I thought my google-fu was strong but it's failing me. I'm trying to find a variety pack of foam covers, if they exist. Normal foams, thin foams, and donuts. Multiple colors would be great too. I thought I read somewhere that VE sells something like that, or at least sells thin foams but I'm not having luck. Anyone know where I can get some?

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,595 of 2,999
I thought my google-fu was strong but it's failing me. I'm trying to find a variety pack of foam covers, if they exist. Normal foams, thin foams, and donuts. Multiple colors would be great too. I thought I read somewhere that VE sells something like that, or at least sells thin foams but I'm not having luck. Anyone know where I can get some?
Here you go, final option on this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html

Or if you want colours:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...nt-Sponge-Covers-Tips/518946_32696147273.html

And don't forget this thread if you're interested in earbuds in general:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back