Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,041 of 2,999
I only use the hiegis for donuts and full foams, and the bulk thin black foams that @seanc6441 mentioned

To me, the thin black foams are better than the VEs. The VEs tends to disperse the treble, making them splashy compared to hearing them without foams.. Not to mention they are itchy, prone to tear and stretch, crumbling and leaving small debris on the ears... and also the color easily wear off and stains the ears and buds by slight moisture/sweat. Haven't tried the new monk foams though, just my experience with the older ones
I found the old ones to be the most transparent but they did break easily (although more stretchy and durable than the cheapo thin foams which just tear when stretched too much).

The new VE foams are thicker slightly, so better seal for bass but slightly less transparent.

About the treble as you said I think all the thin foams don’t tame the treble /mids much but they do disperse it slightly, but no more than regular full foams? I also find that the regular full foams dull the sound and veil it, but the thins can actually bring it forward and only lose 5% clarity maybe.

My preference for most buds is regular donuts, they are the most natural sounding and just tame the treble slightly and add a slightl amount of low end, but the thin monk foams (new pack) do work very well in these cases when you need clarity for the treble and a slightly filled out (dispersed) midrange to add a thick/lush quality to buds like the RX1 which are slightly lean sounding without the foams.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,042 of 2,999
I found the old ones to be the most transparent but they did break easily (although more stretchy and durable than the cheapo thin foams which just tear when stretched too much).

The new VE foams are thicker slightly, so better seal for bass but slightly less transparent.

About the treble as you said I think all the thin foams don’t tame the treble /mids much but they do disperse it slightly, but no more than regular full foams? I also find that the regular full foams dull the sound and veil it, but the thins can actually bring it forward and only lose 5% clarity maybe.

My preference for most buds is regular donuts, they are the most natural sounding and just tame the treble slightly and add a slightl amount of low end, but the thin monk foams (new pack) do work very well in these cases when you need clarity for the treble and a slightly filled out (dispersed) midrange.

Foams do tame the high frequency. Even though instruments like cymbals seems to pass through fine, but the "sparkle" or "sizzle" get shaved off a bit. Guitar with fuzz effects definitely audible to that change of foams. What you perceived as mids getting veiled is because even the mid freq instruments (vocals, guitar, etc) also have that high freq sparkle. When they loose it they will become veiled sounding.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2,043 of 2,999
Foams do tame the high frequency. Even though instruments like cymbals seems to pass through fine, but the "sparkle" or "sizzle" get shaved off a bit. Guitar with fuzz effects definitely audible to that change of foams. What you perceived as mids getting veiled is because even the mid freq instruments (vocals, guitar, etc) also have that high freq sparkle. When they loose it they will become veiled sounding.
Oh I agree with that but I think it’s a necessary step with almost every earbud because of how they are tuned to be used with foams. I think most people find them too bright without foams even if that’s when you get the most airy and extended sound.

I’ve only used a few darker buds that sound ‘nice’ without foams, the Monk plus for example except you lose the seal for bass too and that becomes non existent.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,044 of 2,999
Oh I agree with that but I think it’s a necessary step with almost every earbud because of how they are tuned to be used with foams. I think most people find them too bright without foams even if that’s when you get the most airy and extended sound.

I don't necessarily have problems with too much treble without foams.. It's the skinny bass that bothers me :ksc75smile:
Not to mention that using earbuds without foams, they will be prone to driver flex

My rule of thumb is always choose the full foams first, then:
if the midrange is too forward, i change to donuts
if all freq is even but sounded veiled, i change to thinner full foams

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #2,045 of 2,999
IMHO Vidos (& all budget earbuds) comes with copper cable. You will need to do some soldering if you're keen to experiment on
different types of cable (silver cables, silver plated cables etc...). Even by replacing the 3.5mm plugs to some better quality ones will affect the vidos SQ.
checked aliexpress the videos onyl come up with rubber cable

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,046 of 2,999

I’ve only used a few darker buds that sound ‘nice’ without foams, the Monk plus for example except you lose the seal for bass too and that becomes non existent.
the new blue graphenes sound better without foams in terms of soundstage and airiness but bass is recessed.

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,049 of 2,999

My preference for most buds is regular donuts, they are the most natural sounding and just tame the treble slightly and add a slightl amount of low end, but the thin monk foams (new pack) do work very well in these cases when you need clarity for the treble and a slightly filled out (dispersed) midrange to add a thick/lush quality to buds like the RX1 which are slightly lean sounding without the foams.
Thanks to both of you :)

Ordered the Rx-1 with the foams and donuts :)
Also, waiting for the Vibo, Emx500 and x6 =P

Never used a earbud without foamies, glad that aliexpress have them for pretty cheap, some years ago, everytime I lost a foam, it was like the end of the world :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,050 of 2,999
Old vs new VE foams
27042859_1636052489822557_786530189_n.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #2,052 of 2,999
Old vs new VE foams
27042859_1636052489822557_786530189_n.jpg
Left old, right new? If that's the case then the 100pcs black foam for usd3 are more porous I think. Those old ve foams are hard to find? I guess VE didn't produce themselves but get it from NOS. That's the only explanation IMO.

I wish someone reproduce them some more

Jan 27, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,053 of 2,999
Left old, right new? If that's the case then the 100pcs black foam for usd3 are more porous I think. Those old ve foams are hard to find? I guess VE didn't produce themselves but get it from NOS. That's the only explanation IMO.

I wish someone reproduce them some more
You’re correct the black cheapo foams are in between the density of old and new ve foams.

I don’t think it was NOS just a decision to change the manufacturing for some reason. I mean they produced a lot of the old thin foams and since the first production until recently.

Maybe too many of the old foams were defective in manufacturing because they were so thin :)

Personally I wish they still made the old fosms and these new ones in the same pack, because they don’t sound exactly the same (more clarity vs more full sound/bass)

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,054 of 2,999
**** in1 PLUS/**** 2018 upgrade

PZ 2018 **** 4in1 earphone and heandphone BA+Dynamic Hybrid In Ear Earphone With MMCX Interface HIFI Earbuds Headset ie800

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/2016...108.1000016.1.37f4f397EybK1I&isOrigTitle=true

PZ **** 4in1 2018 sale upgrade heandphone balanced armatre In Ear Earphone With MMCX Headset pk ie800 bluetooth earphone

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...108.1000016.1.357b4a2a6g1nRI&isOrigTitle=true

New **** 4in1 Plus In Ear Earphone 1 Dynamic + 2BA Hybrid Drive DJ Earphone HIFI Headset With MMCX Interface Ceramic Earbud

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/2016...108.1000016.1.37f4f397EybK1I&isOrigTitle=true

Someone knows something about this "new" version?

What is the difference with the origial version?

thanks

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,055 of 2,999
**** in1 PLUS/**** 2018 upgrade

PZ 2018 **** 4in1 earphone and heandphone BA+Dynamic Hybrid In Ear Earphone With MMCX Interface HIFI Earbuds Headset ie800

PZ **** 4in1 2018 sale upgrade heandphone balanced armatre In Ear Earphone With MMCX Headset pk ie800 bluetooth earphone

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/pro...108.1000016.1.357b4a2a6g1nRI&isOrigTitle=true

New **** 4in1 Plus In Ear Earphone 1 Dynamic + 2BA Hybrid Drive DJ Earphone HIFI Headset With MMCX Interface Ceramic Earbud

Someone knows something about this "new" version?

What is the difference with the origial version?

thanks

I'm also interested, but should this be here? :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back