Absolute best budget earbuds?
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,072 of 2,999
i am confused by this impedance thing.. 300 Ohms means they are not likely to reach their full potential in normal everyday smartphones and laptop sound cards?

At 300ohm and 95 sensitivity, it shouldn't be properly driven via normal smartphones. There's the possibility, but it's unlikely.

The 300 ohms part isn't the problem. *IF* you can get to the volume you want, 300 ohms is an easier load to drive than 30 ohms, due to the much lower current demands. 300 ohms is much more forgiving of high output impedances as well. It's just down to the volume question.

The main reason not to use a regular smartphone is simply that the sound quality is usually terrible on them. The main flagship phones these days tend to be respectable at least, and actually quite good at best.

@seanc6441 Have you considered an XB10? They're perfect for the V20; apt-x HD sounds indistinguishable from the V20 headphone jack, provided you're listening to lossless files. MP3s of course will take a SQ hit through the recompression, but even TOTL earbuds tend to be forgiving of this. I'll often stream Soundcloud over to the XB10 and I rarely mind the quality

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,073 of 2,999
The 300 ohms part isn't the problem. *IF* you can get to the volume you want, 300 ohms is an easier load to drive than 30 ohms, due to the much lower current demands. 300 ohms is much more forgiving of high output impedances as well. It's just down to the volume question.

The main reason not to use a regular smartphone is simply that the sound quality is usually terrible on them. The main flagship phones these days tend to be respectable at least, and actually quite good at best.

@seanc6441 Have you considered an XB10? They're perfect for the V20; apt-x HD sounds indistinguishable from the V20 headphone jack, provided you're listening to lossless files. MP3s of course will take a SQ hit through the recompression, but even TOTL earbuds tend to be forgiving of this. I'll often stream Soundcloud over to the XB10 and I rarely mind the quality
I didn’t like the cold signature of the v20. Detailed but not very natural to my ears. Also the soundstage is quite narrow.

This is low impendance mode.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #2,074 of 2,999

I think that sean is probably getting sick of people recommending bluetooth receivers to him - I know that he's sick of me doing it LOL!

Anyway, I've heard good things about the XB10. I instead went for the $70 Fiio BTR1 (4.2, aptx), and I have been very happy with it. I am now very intrigued with the Radsone Earstudio which will retail for approx $100 (5.0, APTXHD, balanced output, 14 hours battery life, excellent SQ from what I've read, etc etc).

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,075 of 2,999
I didn’t like the cold signature of the v20. Detailed but not very natural to my ears. Also the soundstage is quite narrow.

This is low impendance mode.

i almost forgot about this, but have you tried the IFI Ear Buddy? it really does work when i listen to spotify on my phone and tablets

although using it with my Earstudio doesn't improve anything, it even make the sound too smooth.

i definitely recommend them for using it with phones

I think that sean is probably getting sick of people recommending bluetooth receivers to him - I know that he's sick of me doing it LOL!

Anyway, I've heard good things about the XB10. I instead went for the $70 Fiio BTR1 (4.2, aptx), and I have been very happy with it. I am now very intrigued with the Radsone Earstudio which will retail for approx $100 (5.0, APTXHD, balanced output, 14 hours battery life, excellent SQ from what I've read, etc etc).

the XB10 is on par with the Earstudio. can't really go wrong with either of them. i just like the earstudio better (better form factor, cheaper)

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,077 of 2,999
I live the XB10. Works flawlessly with my G6, and has enough driving power for my needs.

Has enough driving power for ANYONE'S needs :D

That little hockey puck can drive my extremely inefficient Alpha Primes respectably well in balanced. Maybe it wouldn't do well with an HE6, but then again maybe it would.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #2,078 of 2,999
Can the A&K XB10 be used as a USB DAC, the same way that a Radsone EarStudio can?
Seems like that could be a handy feature, if your music playing device doesn't have Bluetooth aptX HD, but does have USB output.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #2,079 of 2,999
Can the A&K XB10 be used as a USB DAC, the same way that a Radsone EarStudio can?
Seems like that could be a handy feature, if your music playing device doesn't have Bluetooth aptX HD, but does have USB output.

I don't think the xb10 can. The earstudio can be used as usb dac on pc and phones, and can also set to disable charging so it will not drain the phone

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,080 of 2,999

I emailed A&K this very question right when it came out. The answer that was relayed from the engineers was that it wasn't possible. That may well be true, I haven't had a reason to take mine apart yet, but I suspect it technically would be possible if you wrote your own firmware a la Rockbox!

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #2,081 of 2,999
I don't think the xb10 can. The earstudio can be used as usb dac on pc and phones, and can also set to disable charging so it will not drain the phone

Huh! That's pretty slick too. That thing seems pretty impressive, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back