Abrahamsen V6 DAC
Feb 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #76 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Small Abrahamsen V6.0 test here (sorry, its Norwegian only):
AVforum.no - Vis ett enkelt innlegg - Abrahamsen V6 Dac brukserfaring / test

Aren't we lucky to have you translating us the highlights of the test.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #77 of 204
Well he says that in his opinion its at least as good as the Cambridge Dacmagic. The quality/finish seems very good.

I might have to check it out myself since my father is looking for a DAC and the Cambridge Dacmagic seems sold out until June here in Norway.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #78 of 204
This is a translation of the review in krmathis post
I did not write this review, but wrote its translation to the best of my knowledge.
Be aware that there maight mistakes and errors in my translation.

This reveiw was written by Retep on AVforum.no - Home, this is a open to public forum so I hope it is noe in violation of any rules.

Please delete if this post it is.

Start of translation:

"
Abrahamsen V6 Dac review

Thought I would share my experiences about this Dac with you all.

This is a use and comparison review between the V6 and marantz Sa 7001 standard CD player. The rest of my stereo consist of Electrcopaniet ec4.5 pre, Rotel Rb 1050 effect amp and Paradigm Tower Eclipse bipolare speakers. Cables are Nordost wyrewizard, Audioquest Viper signal and Nordost spdif digital cabel costing 100$

Some facts about the DAC, this is cut from Abrahamsen's web page:

Inputs::
4 digital inputs:
2 RCA, 1 Toslink, 1 USB
Outputs:
1 sett Balanced XLR
1 sett Single RCA
Out put impedance:
Balanced and single 10 Ohm
Frequency response:
DC to 1MHz – 3dB
90VA converter
10.000uF capacitator reserve

Width 430mm
Height 70mm
Depth 160mm
Weight 5Kg

The music I have choosen is to my preferences and taste in music. I am a person that like several types of music like Rock, Pop Metal, Jazz and blues, just about everything except from Trance and Rave.

The cd I have made for this test is ripped as flac and then burned to a disc at the speed 1x. I also played the same songs from the laptop, straight from the USB to the DAC. A cheap laptop costing 500$.

The CD contain these tracks:
1. Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
2. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
3. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
4. Jamie Cullum - Pointless Nostalgic
5. Yello - The Race
6. Bethoven- Måneskinn sonaten
7. Sting - Russians
8. Radiohead - Karma Police
9. Gregorian Monks - Master Of Peace.

I think this sa7001 cd player is some of the better equipment that can be bought for a relatively low amount of money. Marantz delivers what I am searching for, a good musical foundation, a very good and detailed/open/dissolved mid-range and a somewhat recessed treble. This enable me to sit and listen to music for hours. It makes no particular errors/mistakes when taken in consideration its price. A very nice cd player with a high waf (Woman acceptance factor).

If I compare this cd player with the Abrahamsen DAC, which this thread is really about, there is several things which I noticed.

The musical foundation and bass information is no much more pronounced/clear/noticeable. It is more easy to notice/hear to hear the bass rhythm is song 4, Jamie's vocals are more pronounce in such way that it is easier to understand/hear what he is singing. The same happens in song 2, but now everything seems more relaxed/calm and pleasant. A bit more “cosiness” you might put it.

The Monks in song 9 steps out from the darkness and I am now able to hear the text clear and at the same time it all seems bigger and wider. It seems like the choir has increased by several monks. Beethoven's piano becomes more crisp and it sounds like the piano is standing right here in my home.

I think I am able to say that most of the things that are well/good in the Marantz sa 7001 cd player is amplified in this Abrahamsen DAC. The sound picture become bigger and the instruments are brought forward in the sound picture. It is also easier to place the musicians in the sound picture. It also seems like I am sitting closer to the musicians, but simultaneously as if sound from my speakers circulate me in such a way that “I am placed in the middle of action”. It might be that this Dac is more capable of bringing out/forward what these bipolar speakers are able to preform.

Pc to DAC

Compared to the sound deliver by marantz player and the DAC there is not much difference. What I can say is that everything seems a bit muffled. Not much, but if there is complete silence around me and I concentrate, then, I mean/think there is less details in the top. This applies particularly to the Metallica track and the Radiohead track. I am aware that master of puppets by Mettalica has not the best recording, and this might have some to do with it.

Conclusion:
This is a very good DAC considering its price of 485$. It brings the sound picture up and past a Cd player such as Marantz sa 7001, by a great deal according to my ears. The instruments are better brought forward, voices are more clear, and it seems to me like the DAC increase the sound quality over the whole sound specter. By using the USB input I think the sound was improved by so much that most of us, me including, will be able to live with a PC as source of sound. It seems like discs without the best sound quality are being punished and that the mistakes/qualities are better brought forward, for better and for worse.

With everything being taken into account this is a very good DAC and because it has a USB input, I will now stop using CDs and instead use my PC as a source. The DAC's strongest abilities concern its delivery of vocals and acoustic music, but regarding music which contain much information in the lower frequency specter it also makes it easier to distinguish differences in instruments, and the different tones played for example by a contra bass.

If you want a “does it all” DAC, which also has USB input, then this DAC should be on your list over what to consider/try. I have had the Cambridge dac for a visit, and I am certain that this DAC is at least as good. It looks and feels like better quality and because it is 43 cm wide it looks better in a rack.

Ps: A tiny tip. If you have the possibility to run this DAC balanced to your amplifier it will be a big improvement. It is without a doubt better balanced then unbalanced. I use some of Audioquest Viper cables costing 250$ new between the DAC and preamp.

Hope I dont chop the head of anybody because of this thread, but I feel that I had to share my experience about this DAC.

Best regards
Peter “

End of translation

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #79 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebathingape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well he says that in his opinion its at least as good as the Cambridge Dacmagic. The quality/finish seems very good.

Well, that would be very disapointing if it were only as good as the Dacmagic. I expected this DAC to win hands down. I don't care much about the finish/look, especially at this price point, where I believe efforts should be focused on maximizing sound quality.

Maybe I'll just wait to read some more informed reviews.

There are not too many USB DAC with balanced outputs there, beeing the AA V6 one of the only one available (Dacmagic seems out of stock and the new DAC from Little Dot not launched yet). Not too much competition yet, but will probably grow.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #80 of 204
Thank you Paara for the translation...

But my initial excitement passed away, especially considering that its sound is close to the Marantz SA7001 that I had home and really didn't like at all...

Well, it doesn't seem this DAC is for me...

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #81 of 204
Thanks 'paara'.
smile.gif

Saved me the work I expected to be asked to perform this evening...

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #82 of 204
No problem
smily_headphones1.gif
Feel free to point out if there are any mistakes. I had to rephrase some of the sentences, and might have gotten something wrong.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #83 of 204
I see that the online store is already up!

Do you know if they are willing to ship this item for instance to Portugal?

I see no reference to internacional shipping.

Would there be any other way to get my hands on one of these?

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #84 of 204
The web page say : "Buy ABRAHAMSEN products online Only Norwegian"
EDIT: hmmm that might refere to the language used in the store...
smily_headphones1.gif

But send him a mail and ask, doesnt hurt

EDIT2: In the "transportation page" it says : ECS Holding store leverer kun varer innenlands, samt til Svalbard, Jan Mayen og Feltpostadresser. (ECS Holding store delivers only goods inside norway, including Spitzbergen, Jan Mayen and army post adresses)

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #85 of 204
Quote from the thread. "This dac is so good that today I've put my dacmagic and my EC Ecd1 out for sale."

Also hoping for more in depth coverage soon. Getting mine on monday or so.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #86 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiff_Needle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that the online store is already up!

Do you know if they are willing to ship this item for instance to Portugal?

I see no reference to internacional shipping.

Would there be any other way to get my hands on one of these?

Uma boa noite de um forunista de Lisboa.

Luciano

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #87 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilac1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote from the thread. "This dac is so good that today I've put my dacmagic and my EC Ecd1 out for sale."

Also hoping for more in depth coverage soon. Getting mine on monday or so.

Can't wait to read the reviews
popcorn.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #88 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uma boa noite de um forunista de Lisboa.

Luciano

Boas!

Finalmente encontro um Português por estas bandas... Também sou da zona de Lisboa.

Confesso que não faço ideia se existem muitos head-fiers em Portugal. Pelo menos que me aperceba... aliás todos me chamam maluco quando digo quanto é que gastei nos meus auscultadores e amplificador! Dizem-me sempre "só para os phones??" lol

Imagina se conhecessem a malta daqui do forum... eu sou um newbie nisto do Head-Fi (tenho uns beyerdynamic DT 880 e um Darkvoice 337)

Também está com a pulguinha na orelha relativamente a este Abrahamsen v6.0? Isto promete... Espero!

Já ficaria muito feliz se estivesse pelo menos em pé de igualdade com o DAC da Electrocompaniet, quanto mais superior.

Por este preço estou sinceramente a considerar mandar vir um... só não sei ainda é como... mas isso logo se vê.

Grande Abraço Audióphilo,

Tiff

PS: Sorry for the portuguese guys... Any news regarding the DAC? No new reviews...

Cheers

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #90 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its available for sale here: ECS Holding Store
Price NOK 3350, with an expected availability of March 6th.

But it will only be available for sale on Norway, correct?

How could i get on of these?

Do you know any online shop that would be willing to ship this item to Portugal?

I'm going to send an e-mail to abrahamsen. Who knows... I Might get lucky.
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back