About to Purchase Denon AHD2000's
Feb 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Ajax

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to rock like  pink floyd and the who and led zepplin and the police. I plan on getting an e11 but was wondering if anyone recomends a DAC or diffrent headphone.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 63
The Denons are pretty comfortable... for around the ear closed phones in that price range I can't think of any as comfy.  I haven't been active in the inexpensive portable DAC/amp market for a couple years now so I really wouldn't know.  By the way, innerfidelity.com is a great resource for information on these types of headphones, he's been doing lots in the 100-300 range of closed portables/transportables lately.  If open headphones are okay (for just home use), the K701 can be had for a little over $200 but they have higher amping needs than the Denon.  The Q701 is an updated (mainly new color scheme) version that seems to go from $230-250 on Amazon these days.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 63
They don't really need an amp to begin with.  I can run mine out of my S9 with no problems.  I would get them without the amp to begin with, the pick one up later if you feel like you want to change something in the sound signature.  A DAC won't do anything for an iPod or other mobile device unless it's an Android 3.0 device that supports USB audio (and I'm not even entirely sure of this).

And why would you need to use high gain on the E10?  Low gain and volume around 2 is plenty loud enough.  Increasing gain doesn't do anything other than crank up the volume.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 63
Oh the volume is plenty fine, i've just personally noticed a slightly more taught bass response and slightly more pronounced mids with high gain on.

Sounds crazy but its what I've noticed. I suppose the extra current helps the dampening of the relatively large driver.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 63
D2000s don't need an amp, they just sound better with a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back