About to Purchase Denon AHD2000's
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #46 of 63
The E11 is just as an amp which Denons don't really need. I say get a soundcard like Xonar DG. The Denons benefit from a good DAC with good source material as do all headphones, amps not so much, the Denons are easy to drive, they sound fine right out of my phone.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #49 of 63
Hey guys, one question.. (i have kinda same doubts):

Will I feel diference on: ??
- D2000 + iPod Touch + E11
- D2000 + iPod Touch

- D2000 + Cowon J3 + E11
- D2000 + Cowon J3

As I'm going to use the laptop most of times (along with speakers), a DAC will be necessary (E10)..

If using the D2000 + mp3 player won't get any addicional feature from the AMP (E11), should I go just for E10? (home use)

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #52 of 63

Quote:
So, D2000 will work nice in both players... (iPod Touch or Cowon J3)..

and btw, the D2000 are supposed to be good, arent they?

Yes and yes.  And they're more than "supposed to be good."  They are good.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #53 of 63
Agreed. Save money for a DAC/amp rather than a standalone portable amp. The D2000s just don't need it.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #54 of 63
Got them today.
Really a masterpiece. 

I love them.

Deep bass but still has details in mids / highs.
Great with like all types of modern music.

Best i have heard so far.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #56 of 63
The triple threat Denons (D2K, D5K, D7K) don't benefit a whole lot from amping (they are incredibly efficient). All this talk about a powerful amp making them drastically better is a load of pure hyperbole. The benefits those people are getting is from the sound signature change the amps they use are adding to the Denon's own sound, which is personal preference and not actually real world benefit. A neutral amp vs a neutral amp will make the Denons sound pretty much exactly the same, whether the amp is $100 or $10,000.

I'd say just get a decent amp that can provide good, clean power to the Denons, and don't worry too much about cost. Say something like the Objective O2.

I'd say a DAC is more beneficial if you're going to hook them up to a computer.

So I would say the most beneficial product for the price would be something like the Fiio Alpen (E17), as it provides both good clean amping, and a good dac, without the bloated price.

Amping is good for headphones that actually need it to shine. The Denons don't need much.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #58 of 63

Quote:
All this talk about a powerful amp making them drastically better is a load of pure hyperbole. The benefits those people are getting is from the sound signature change the amps they use are adding to the Denon's own sound, which is personal preference and not actually real world benefit. A neutral amp vs a neutral amp will make the Denons sound pretty much exactly the same, whether the amp is $100 or $10,000.

I'm not so convinced. Once I get the ODA, I'll be sure, but going from an E7 to a surround sound receiver (and a bad one at that) actually delivered some significant differences. Even though the DAC and amp are worse on the surround sound receiver, it had more power, which gave me very noticeable differences. The bass was tighter, everything felt more refined, and I got that "power" that you feel when you amp headphones. They really got much more exciting. It's possible that the receiver is somehow good, even though it shouldn't be, but I have trouble seeing that it would be better than an E7. The only advantage it could logically have is more power. I also tested it on a (very nice) Denon receiver for a bit, and I still noticed that same excitement and force I wasn't getting with the E7's (aside from the obvious quality bump in the DAC).
It is possible that they are coloring my Denons, but what I'm running into doesn't sound like coloring. I am waiting until I get something like the ODA (a transparent amp) before I make my final decision, though. I was surprised to find that some people noticed the same (I thought I was nuts, really).
That doesn't mean they don't sound *awesome* when using just a little bit of amping. I've just noticed a bit of extra "bonus" if you have some strength behind the amp.

Thanks.
How do you guys think these will fair on a plane.

They shouldn't leak too much, but you may hear a bit coming in (like a crying baby). With music you shouldn't hear anything, but I can't say for sure, never wore these on a plane.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #59 of 63
My assumption is that the receiver has a high output impedance, which is adding distortions that may be pleasing to you. Going from the E7 to the E9 yields a big difference in bass, where its fuller on the E9, but definitely more loose. Same thing with going off my soundcard. All different, though I bet its due to distortion.

What I was referring to was comparing two amps with ideal specs for the Denons.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #60 of 63

Quote:
My assumption is that the receiver has a high output impedance, which is adding distortions that may be pleasing to you. Going from the E7 to the E9 yields a big difference in bass, where its fuller on the E9, but definitely more loose. Same thing with going off my soundcard. All different, though I bet its due to distortion.
What I was referring to was comparing two amps with ideal specs for the Denons.

It's very possible, but I'd be pretty confused if distortion tightened bass, which is why I'm apprehensive about coming to a conclusion until I've used an ideal and transparent amp with my Denons.

The same "force" and tightened bass was something I noticed with the Pro 750's when using a DigiDesign MBox (for Protools). They're pretty transparent, and it was something the E7's simply didn't reproduce (it did a bit, but not *as* much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back