About to place my orders for PX100 + PK2 + UM1 ... any objections?
Nov 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matt174e

New Head-Fier
I'm getting sick of shopping for headphones
blink.gif

I think this trio will suit me right. As of now I only own Apple buds, and Sennheiser MX400s (from eBay... I think they're knock offs).

Earphone Solutions seem to be a respectable online retailer, and I'll be getting my UM1's from them. But what about Head Room (headphone.com)? I plan to get both the PK2s ($69.99US) and PX100s ($49.99US) from them.

Are these a good choice of headphones for a newbie?

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt174e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting sick of shopping for headphones
blink.gif

I think this trio will suit me right. As of now I only own Apple buds, and Sennheiser MX400s (from eBay... I think they're knock offs).

Earphone Solutions seem to be a respectable online retailer, and I'll be getting my UM1's from them. But what about Head Room (headphone.com)? I plan to get both the PK2s ($69.99US) and PX100s ($49.99US) from them.

Are these a good choice of headphones for a newbie?

Are you going with the "triple play" as in IEM/canal phone, ear bud and over the ear phone?"

If so, if you like the PX-100/PK2 sound (I owned both and they sound pretty good), you won't like the UM1. I sold the latter, because to me it was much too muddy (some call it warm), and no crispness on the mids and highs. If you want IEMs that sort of match up sound-wise with the other two phones, check out the Altec-Lansing IM616s, which are about $80, even less than the UM1s. Also, the UW1s must be worn over the ear with the wire behind your neck, which I never liked. But each to his own.

Another IEM option in the 80-100 price range is the Ety er6i, which also delivers clean highs, but doesn't have the bass that the AL can deliver.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the UM1 and PK1 combination (in an Altoids can) and I think it is great for travel. The UM1 has superb noise isolation and sounds decent, while the PK1 is IMO the best sounding portable headphone (sound leakage is also low). The only gripe about the PK1 is its high impedance (150 ohm); it may not play to deafening levels on your portable player. However, it sounds very good unamped and amazing when amped. Hope this helps.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 4
IEM shopping is so confusing :S

I don't understand the audiophile lingo, but I have read that the UM1s sound "boring". I hear that they are also very comfortable, which is my main concern for in-ears.
Do the UM1's have very much bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back