About to lose my EFFING MIND
Feb 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

invrlose

Head-Fier
I've sent my magni back to Schiit THREE TIMES NOW. THREE times. The reason I send it back is becuase it makes a wretched infernal noise in the right ear cup. It sounds like static, when I touch the magni the sound goes way. It also creates something that sounds like interference that goes up and down in frequency.

I have paid $100 in shipping for a $100 product to send it back to schiit THREE ******* times.

Solutions that i have tried(PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THESE, OR I MAY SEND MY HEAD THROUGH A WALL)
-New USB cable(4 of them, from monoprice)
-I have gotten a cable splitter that takes the two outputs from my Modi DAC and puts them straight into my headphones. NO interference.
-I've tried different headphones
-I have tried different headphone cables
-I have tried different RCA cables from Modi>Magni
-I have tried casting a magic spell on the magni
-I have had other family members listen to it, they hear the noise but apparently schiit techs can't.
-When i sent my magni back the third time I sent a very strongly worded letter saying that my magni better be functional when it returns. I am not sure if they even opened the bloody thing.
-I have tried different wall power receptacles
-I have tried different computers
-I have tried different USB ports
-My old computer did it, I built a new computer and it still does it evne with the new mobo
-I've tried my headphones on their own in a different setup and the headphones do not produce any noise

This is literally going to send me over the edge, I spent $500 on this setup and this WRETCHED INFERNAL NOISE won't go away.

My setup:
Self-built computer(ASUS Maximus Hero VI Mobo)>USB male a-b>Modi DAC>Schiit RCA cables>Wretched infernal magni>Sennheiser HD598

Someone
help
me

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 30
I hear what you're saying but for me the very fact that a company would even allow me to spend more of my money to ship a defective product of theirs for the THIRD time without offering me something would have lost me. I hope someone can give you a nice, cheap easy fix but I would be right out of there.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 30
Can you recommend the best headphone amp for me for $100... I can go up to $150 I guess. I just want to enjoy my ******* headphones, without this noise.

I play a lot of FPS and use these headphones for them, it's very hard to listen for footsteps/sound cues when you have a static in the right earcup.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 30
Sounds like some sort of grounding(?) issue + oscillation (malfunction of sorts - that "interference" that goes up and down in frequency).

If it does not work out again, demand a refund.  I imagine that you are getting closer to spending as much on shipping back as you did on the unit when you first ordered it?
I've got an Audio-gd amplifier/DAC/preamp unit that has yet to give out on me after five years.  Despite having upgraded since, I still use it as part of a speaker rig or the occasional gaming.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 30
Have you tried hooking up a different non-computer source like a CD player?  They clearly are not hearing the issue when they feed your amp a signal from one of their DACs or CD player.  Lets be fair.  A company like Schiit does pay attention to their customers and they are not in the habit of wasting their own time with shipping error-prone amps.  I've owned 2 Schiit amps and Jason was always quick with the email responses.  

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with feeding your computer audio card to the amp.  I'm saying that it is possible they are not hearing the problem because they are using a source that is not giving a problem they can hear or measure.  I'm guessing they did the proper measurements on the unit.  For example, there was one guy who owned a Decware amp and his problem was with his source but only when playing DSD files.  That's how specific the problem can be.  Crazy but these things happen.      

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 30
  Have you tried hooking up a different non-computer source like a CD player?  They clearly are not hearing the issue when they feed your amp a signal from one of their DACs or CD player.  Lets be fair.  A company like Schiit does pay attention to their customers and they are not in the habit of wasting their own time with shipping error-prone amps.  I've owned 2 Schiit amps and Jason was always quick with the email responses.  

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with feeding your computer audio card to the amp.  I'm saying that it is possible they are not hearing the problem because they are using a source that is not giving a problem they can hear or measure.  I'm guessing they did the proper measurements on the unit.  For example, there was one guy who owned a Decware amp and his problem was with his source but only when playing DSD files.  That's how specific the problem can be.  Crazy but these things happen.      

I've reversed the channels from my source and the sound remains in the right ear cup, I'm pretty sure the source is not the problem.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 30
Maybe.  You and I probably don't know enough about circuits to rule that out based on reversing channels.  At least I can't say it is still not the source.  But still, a good thing to try.  It will provide more evidence you can present to Schiit.  At this point they should be sending you a new unit altogether to try.  3 times is was too many.  

Quote:
I've reversed the channels from my source and the sound remains in the right ear cup, I'm pretty sure the source is not the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back