About SQ
Nov 20, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 27
Ok I see, thank you for your explanation on the 1kHz... but just the plots...

About the headphones software, it should be nice to try it for fun (somewhat expensive for fun though) but I just use headphones to listen on the go or to check the stereo image, because I want my mixes to sound good on headphones also, (I don't like to listen with headphones to those recordings like Miles Davis' Jack Johnson with the drums on the right and the bass on the left) and mixing with headphones it's a waste of time nothing works...
My experience with headphones is that, first I tend to concentrate in the instruments (what they are doing) and the music, for me everything sounds pretty nice with headphones, a terrible mix sounds OK, I can hear everything, even things buried in the mix. I think that judging the quality of a recording with headphones doesn't work, even listening to a live recording transcribed from an old cassette tape can be bearable, at least for me...
Oh, and I have tried some software with room simulation and HTRF, to try to mix with headphones, and and result is not much better either, its nice to listen to some recordings (its nice to have some crossfeed) but tends to sound unnatural on others... I prefer the real thing, headphones are headphones speakers are speakers...

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #17 of 27
the Smyth Realizer is a actually good virtualization system - sidesteps modeling by actually measuring your personal HRTF with tiny mics in your ears in the real room, playing test sweeps over the real loudspeakers - up to 7 channel surround

has head tracking, measures your head angle, typically +/-30 degrees in as fine steps as you have patience for measuring

and calibrates for the headphones you use too - can mix and match personal room response calibrations from different rooms with different headphone calibrations

really isn't comparable to Dolby headphone or crossfeed

the Smyth thread is good as long as you check for comments by owners or those having listened with a full personal HRTF calibration in a demo

lots of noise from those never having heard it, or not with calibration or not using the head tracking who still seem to feel entitled to trash talk it

it really does give out of your head, stable, external - "those speakers over there" experience

though no headphone system can do deep bass with "chest thumping" body effects - some use subwoofer or "butt kicker" to help with "tactile" bass sensation

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #18 of 27
Yes, in theory you could find a mastering studio you like, get your measurements made, and then basically carry that studio around with you wherever you go.

@jcx
Do you know what kind of compensation they do for the headphone (and how it interacts with the particular person)?

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 27
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 27
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #21 of 27
@Macaco IDK how it goes for you, but here they offer to send it on a loan(well you pay and they give your money back on return) to try it at your home . I haven't because I have nothing worth measuring at what's not even my home, so I always tell myslelf I'll book for a test the next time I go to paris. and forget every single time ...
rolleyes.gif

and yeah we should all have only to buy the mics, a cheap software, and a 150$ tracking gear for games(there is cheaper but that one is elite stuff^_^), but strangely enough the realizer isn't new at all, and we're still waiting for anybody to do something similar. maybe they have copyrighted so manay stuff "apple style" that nobody can? IDK, but all I can say is that it's taking a damn long time to become a cheap consumer grade device.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 27
  @Macaco IDK how it goes for you, but here they offer to send it on a loan(well you pay and they give your money back on return) to try it at your home . I haven't because I have nothing worth measuring at what's not even my home, so I always tell myslelf I'll book for a test the next time I go to paris. and forget every single time ...
rolleyes.gif

and yeah we should all have only to buy the mics, a cheap software, and a 150$ tracking gear for games(there is cheaper but that one is elite stuff^_^), but strangely enough the realizer isn't new at all, and we're still waiting for anybody to do something similar. maybe they have copyrighted so manay stuff "apple style" that nobody can? IDK, but all I can say is that it's taking a damn long time to become a cheap consumer grade device.

It's kind of a niche, and other players in the niche are more interested in R2R DACs than virtualization. With things like the Oculus Rift making some splash, and with new standards having come out, maybe we'll see this kind of thing get cheaper.

Like you, though, I have no room I particularly want to emulate, but for this stuff to be really good (especially for elevation and front/back reversals) you need some personalization. With things like head modeling you might be able to avoid the step of actually having your butt in a room, but you'll still need a good measurement somewhere in the pipeline.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 27

rolleyes.gif

I think it's just niche, and other players in the niche game are more interested in R2R DACs than virtualization. With things like the Oculus Rift making some splash, and with new standards having come out, maybe we'll see this kind of thing get cheaper.

Like you, though, I have no room I particularly want to emulate, but for this stuff to be really good (especially for elevation and front/back reversals) you need some personalization. With things like head modeling you might be able to avoid the step of actually having your butt in a room, but you'll still need a good measurement somewhere in the pipeline.

Why would I want to virtualize my space/setup? I already have it and I would rather spend $3000 to get it better...
Please! don't talk about R2R DACs, I'm still having nightmares from reading the other post...
(I wonder what kind of DAC is inside of it? and I heard that DSPs are evil...)

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #24 of 27

Why would I want to virtualize my space/setup? I already have it and I would rather spend $3000 to get it better...
Please! don't talk about R2R DACs, I'm still having nightmares from reading the other post...

It's more about virtualizing a space/setup you prefer to what you might have.

Back to comparing rooms, though. Got any measurements we can look at?

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 27

It's more about virtualizing a space/setup you prefer to what you might have.

Back to comparing rooms, though. Got any measurements we can look at?

Well I have them somewhere ( I'll try to look into it), but they're not good, actually I'm spending a lot more in building a new ( still building it) dedicated room so I can customize it the best I can, (the dimensions and shape not being ideal are the best possible with the space available), the measurements I've done so far were made in the room I'm actually in at the moment and just to be able to 'see' the room and why it didn't sound as good as I wanted and to learn the software...  the EQ corrections I came up with haven't done much... that's why I'm using the near-fields and until a certain volume they perform ok, but at more than 60/65db SPL the room starts to interfere and it can get very messy... hope I can make my dream room and have a decent SQ in it...
Any informed advice will be welcome... 

two measurements...

the waterfall of the blue one:

ugly isn't it?

measurements done with an ECM8000 with a generic calibration file... (not any meaningful difference with or without the calibration file) at about 85db SPL
the room being 3m x 3m x 2.8m

comments please...

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #26 of 27
  good informed points you made... can you clarify the 'variances from 1kHz'?

1khz is often used as the testing frequency, and smack in the middle of where human hearing is most sensitive. The graph should be smooth in that it should stay as flat as possible. Variances can be like what a high frequency waveform looks like, meaning lots of jumps and dives, or loud low frequency wave forms, meaning fewer variances but they can be broader and more severe (note I'm only talking about what the wave form looks like and superimposed on a frequency graph, not in terms of what those waveforms sound like). Look at the graph below for example and look for those qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back