AACS (HD-DVD, Bluray encryption) Cracked!
Dec 30, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 34
there are two things that can happen now that this happened..

first off the hd-dvd sales could fly threw the roof cause now people can back them up and do what they want with the bought titles.

second the studios wont like this and they will push blu-ray even more...

but then again consumer is always right so...hd-dvd may take a big enough sales jump (once people by the tons start doing this) and studios will react by selling more hddvd titles then ever.

then the studios will come out with hd-dvd/2 and were all at point a again..

lol

blue-ray will be done next, give it a few months..there are to many people with to much time to deny this.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 34
It would be easy to make too much out of this... If I read things right, the actual method for extracting the keys is rather shadowy and likely requires some pretty heavy duty processor time or finesse. (Though no where near what it would take by brute force!) Though I'm sure that lists will be published, they may be hard to find or rather limited. (Esp. after the MPAA gets wind of this) Unless the process is simplified into something like DeCSS, this may have limited utility.

Honestly I think that the pirates will get more out of this than anyone else. But I guess that is the story of DRM.... mildly annoy the pirates and screw the consumers.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #18 of 34
The DRM being hacked doesn't really mean much at this point. No one can really write Bluray / HD-DVD yet. Heck, most people don't even have a player. Unless you have a giant plasma with 1080i resolution, you would never see the benefit of the new format. Not only that the new DVD players are still first-gen, expect many problems until they hit atleast the 3rd gen.

What this really is, is a proof of concept. This is people telling the industry that everytime they make a new encryption, they will take it as a personal challenge to break it. They cannot stop the free flow of information in this age.

I mean pirates might get their hands on Blu-ray discs, but if you've ever downloaded a pirate video you know its a 700MB xvid video, the quality being just good enough to watch on your computer screen. It's really not worth the hassle to pirates to crack, rip hi-def, and upload for such a small minority of people that will go through the trouble of putting it on their home theater PC's and playing it on their giant plasmas.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you have a giant plasma with 1080i resolution, you would never see the benefit of the new format. Not only that the new DVD players are still first-gen, expect many problems until they hit atleast the 3rd gen.

You'll see a benefit if you're already bothered by the technical limitations of the DVD format. I find DVD looks pretty dicey even on a 480p CRT.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll see a benefit if you're already bothered by the technical limitations of the DVD format. I find DVD looks pretty dicey even on a 480p CRT.

See that's the thing. How many people even have 480p CRT's? Progressive scan is just now becoming mainstream, my parents still have a 27" panasonic from the mid-90's and have no intention of upgrading until it breaks.

As for the diceyness: Do you have a progressive scan DVD player with the option enabled? That could be why it's not looking as great as it could be. Conventional DVD's have a maximum resolution of 720x480 progressive SDTV. Therefore it should look fine. In theory anyways. In practice it might not look so hot.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

See that's the thing. How many people even have 480p CRT's? Progressive scan is just now becoming mainstream, my parents still have a 27" panasonic from the mid-90's and have no intention of upgrading until it breaks.

A 480p CRT is hardly exciting. 1080p it is not.

Quote:

As for the diceyness: Do you have a progressive scan DVD player with the option enabled? That could be why it's not looking as great as it could be. Conventional DVD's have a maximum resolution of 720x480 progressive SDTV. Therefore it should look fine. In theory anyways. In practice it might not look so hot.

I have an SDI modified DVD player hooked up to a video scaler.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hi5!

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

They cannot stop the free flow of information in this age.

That sentence sounded to me like a quote from the movie "Ghost in the Shell".

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 34
Feb 15, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

I work at BB.. about 75% of tv's bought online, via our .com system are HDTV's.. The majortity of our customers buy HDTV or SDTV. I should know.. I do carry outs.. 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 in favor of HDTV.. & HD DVR go faster then a PS3 on release. We can't keep them in stock!! 480p has been mainstream since 03.. Upconverting DVD players are now main stream.. My father has a 19inch Panasonic from 90 & won't upgrade till it breaks.. But I'll bet my set up he will buy a HDTV when his crashes.. He's seen HD on my 26inch Samsung CRT & on my 42inch LCD.. & just goes, wow!!

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sentence sounded to me like a quote from the movie "Ghost in the Shell".

he's absolutely right; it's the "we're all peers" generation

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 34
A hacker is someone who is brilliant with computers in a constructive way.

A cracker is someone who breaks into other computers, or reverse-engineers algorithms in a destructive way.

I know that this mistake is made by the media, and everyone else, and their mothers, but please don't perpetuate it.

Read the wikipedia article on hackers.
Read the wikipedia article on crackers (black hats).

Read some other proper resources on hackers and crackers:
http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html
http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/cracker.html
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/h/hacker.html
There are many more if you search as well.

This can actually be offensive to some people in the hacker culture.

----------------------------------

Back on topic:

I'm very surprised that it has taken this long for someone to crack the HD-DVD codec.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 34
i can add to your description. There is alot of argument over this. I think hacking denotes a negative connotation more then anything. I doubt wozniak was calling himself a hacker way back when, and I'm pretty sure the terminology is as recent as the mid to late 80's at best. The word came from the era when evading computer security was trivial, and became marketable to make silly movies. You had movies like war games, and idiots like mitnick perpetuating the myth. I think it became cool for techies to use the word, since they might have had an identity crisis and thought it was cool to call them something with understood negative appeal. It makes them a "badboy" or something.

To me, in general A hacker is someone who pieces together disgusting, sphagetti style, copied and pasted, brute force code without an intuition or understanding. THey basically steal ideas and do whatever they can to get the job done. They take shortcuts frequently, and don't have a good work ethic. They are a large contribution to the problems and failures many software projects have. Their eyes are bigger then their mouths. It's true that getting it to work is good, but how it gets done is very much more important.

A cracker is someone who evades copywright protection. They used to only be comfortable with hex editors, now they might be somewhat expert in reverse engineering, de-obfuscation techniques, or a very high level of how systems and os's work. Then you have some who just use the ideas of others (script kiddies). That's a variant of cracker I guess, t hough the less cool one

A developer is someone who makes a living off programming, by hopefully not being a hacker or misuser of code, but not always the case. Some are very talented. I consider myself a software developer (that's my job title).

A software engineer is a brilliant person with a computer science background, a true understanding of OOP, and the experience to work on large projects, use abstraction in a powerful way, and take on any project. They take the practice of making programming projects a true science. They engineer solutions to problems, and tackle all sorts of problems ranging from all sorts of issues. To them languages are trivial details, and they can build a project on semantics alone usually. They build UML diagrams, they write detailed papers, and have a reason behinid most of the implementations they make.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back