AACS (HD-DVD, Bluray encryption) Cracked!
Feb 15, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #32 of 34
mjg: Off topic buddy, and good thing it's only 2 cents. I'd say it's more like 1 cent. If you ever got into the culture, you'd know nrwilk nailed it pretty well because a hacker goes in, looks around, removes his traces and leaves without any harm done and unnoticed. That's the beauty and challenge, you must be invisible. Crackers on the other hand do the easy parts like getting in without much care for the hard part which is being invisible and usually do it with malicious intent.

It's great to know that regular people with nice monitors will be able to watch HD-DVD's on their computer without these terrible enforced hardware upgrades.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very surprised that it has taken this long for someone to crack the HD-DVD codec.

AACS has not been cracked. It's been circumvented due to a weak security implementation in WinDVD.

The way AACS was built allows for such occurrences, and they can resecure future AACS protected media by simply revoking the license key. Of course, all media released up until the point where they revoke the key can be decrypted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybaek
I mean pirates might get their hands on Blu-ray discs, but if you've ever downloaded a pirate video you know its a 700MB xvid video, the quality being just good enough to watch on your computer screen. It's really not worth the hassle to pirates to crack, rip hi-def, and upload for such a small minority of people that will go through the trouble of putting it on their home theater PC's and playing it on their giant plasmas.

My friend (really, it's not me) has been downloading HD rips for a while, and he thinks that the release of HD media has convinced pirates that higher quality releases gives you a bigger e-wang. Apparently they're now releasing HD stuff with full surround language soundtracks and subtitles.

Either way, personal experiences with HD media show that 1280x720 media looks much better on my 1920x1080 screen than 852x480 media. From Xbox Live downloads, 1280x720 HD movies can fit in ~ 2 GB with little loss invisual quality.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mjg: Off topic buddy, and good thing it's only 2 cents. I'd say it's more like 1 cent. If you ever got into the culture, you'd know nrwilk nailed it pretty well because a hacker goes in, looks around, removes his traces and leaves without any harm done and unnoticed. That's the beauty and challenge, you must be invisible. Crackers on the other hand do the easy parts like getting in without much care for the hard part which is being invisible and usually do it with malicious intent.

It's great to know that regular people with nice monitors will be able to watch HD-DVD's on their computer without these terrible enforced hardware upgrades.
smily_headphones1.gif

People use words however they want though. I know what hacking is, and the intention once the system is comprimised is irrelevant. I think what you mentioned is called white-hat hacking. That isn't what people are using the word to mean all the time (if that is what you meant).

The only people I consider true hackers are those capable of writing their own exploits, and effectivly comprimising a system without "social engineering" or running someone elses scripts.

Anyway, I don't feel most people who call themselves hackers are hackers, i think they are using the word wrong. That was my point. I hope thats worth another cent heh. This might be off topic, but i felt like making a point. I have no interst in getting into the leisure hacker culture, but i did do my specialization in information assurance FYI. Whatever makes you happy i guess.

On-topic: Computer requirements to play .EVO on computers is really rediculous. PowerDVD Ultra sucks also... It's cool you can get a 360 HD drive for 200 bux and turn it into a cheap hd option, yet the system requirements are steep. I spent an hour or so reading the avsforums threads on it, seems i'd need quite an upgrade to play HD stuff smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back