Aaarrgh, Mac OSX Leopard delayed
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Second that. Most Mac people are generally ignorant about Windows mashines, and PC guys don't care about Mac (before they're stuck with one). Being here and there, I'd say Mac OS have more glitches than W2003/XP Profi. Most Mac users however never face those, while MS tend to manifest it's glitches in a spectacular way."

What are you talking about? I never have a problem with my mac, but my Vista machine crashes all the time.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nay, I'm talking Samba/SMB over TCP/IP. Since W2003 MS does not supported SMB exchange on port 139 (known vulnerability), but Mac can not establish SMB on 445. It's a well known problem for more than 3 years alrady - no solution from Apple so far

Ah, network shares, and yes, I do remember hearing about that now you mention it. Yes, that's true although that's what you get for using proprietary protocols. I'm not claiming Apple is any better in this regard but I can't say I'm surprised that third parties have trouble supporting a largely closed Microsoft protocol.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Second that. Most Mac people are generally ignorant about Windows mashines, and PC guys don't care about Mac (before they're stuck with one). Being here and there, I'd say Mac OS have more glitches than W2003/XP Profi. Most Mac users however never face those, while MS tend to manifest it's glitches in a spectacular way.

I'll disagree with you there.

I use 2003/XP at work. At least one reboot per day. Many lockups, corrupted documents, and on and on. Much better than earlier versions of Windows I've been forced to use at work over the years, though. I still lose work, but not quite as much. I still have to save important docs in ASCII .txt files so I can recover from crashes easier. Oh, and the "demanding" applications I run are GroupWise and Word. I ran Windows for a couple of years, but when I suffered a devastating lockup (as opposed to regular lockups) I had a friend install Linux.

I've been in the Linux camp for 6 years now, though I've also been running Macs since 1988.

There is no comparison. The PowerBook (10.4) has been up for over a year. The Linux box has been up for around two. My *mother* runs Linux (and loves it, by the way) and her machine has logged about three years of uptime.

So yeah, I'm biased. But I like stuff that actually works.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless you need something very specific it offers, who cares? c'mon folks, some things aren't important in life

Well, I would like to use the ZFS and iSCSI support. I am building a big home server on a Sun Ultra 40 (6 Seagate 750GB SATA drives in RAID-Z2) and would like to consolidate all my storage on it for redundancy purposes.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 2003/XP at work. At least one reboot per day. Many lockups, corrupted documents, and on and on.

There's definitely smth messed up on hardware or software level. Check the hardware, if you can replace the PSU (I'd say reboots are 60% PSU & 20% memory issues), and make full reinstall of W2003. The mashine I'm writing from is running FTP, Apache and SMB + some CAD from time to time + everything else for 3 years and I honestly don't remember the last time it gave me BSD. It's a bottom dollar Duron 750 with top-dollar Fortron 450W PSU, fans are oiled every 6 months or so

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #36 of 69
I'm at least happy they finally announced the delay and gave a new window for how long to wait. I had been holding off to moving over to a new hard drive until it came, but since I now know I was able to go ahead and move over.

--Chris

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

There's definitely smth messed up on hardware or software level. Check the hardware, if you can replace the PSU (I'd say reboots are 60% PSU & 20% memory issues)

I agree. In my experience bad memory accounts for even more than 20% random crashes and that's true for any computer whatever OS. I'm no Windows apologist but when the hardware is working correctly Windows 2000,XP and 2003 should never crash.

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sucks!
I was hoping for updated MacBook Pro's and Mac OS 10.5 release on WWDC 2007.

An OEM Copy of Windows Vista Home Basic says that Loepard will be demoed at WWDC.

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #43 of 69
Geeze! Didn't look at the first post date; scared me a little bit!
smily_headphones1.gif
I preordered with Education discount (whoooo 15 bux!
blink.gif
) and backed up my Macbook Pro on 2 externals; I'm going to do a clean install!

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #45 of 69
I will pick it up at the local store on release day (October 26th).
That way I would probably get it faster than pre-ordering online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back