Aaarrgh, Mac OSX Leopard delayed
Apr 15, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second that. Most Mac people are generally ignorant about Windows mashines, and PC guys don't care about Mac (before they're stuck with one). Being here and there, I'd say Mac OS have more glitches than W2003/XP Profi. Most Mac users however never face those, while MS tend to manifest it's glitches in a spectacular way.

seriously, lets not get into mac vs windows. its like apple/oranges. not worth it. besides os x is obviously better
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple has generally been good with allowing free upgrades on new machines where OS's are concerned. No guarantees, of course.

Yes, but the grace period is usually something like a couple of weeks or perhaps a month (definitely not much longer) for new computer purchases qualifying for a free OS upgrade.

When an anticipated Mac OS upgrade gets delayed (which has happened before), I usually take advantage of the opportunity to see how far a particular Linux distro has come
icon10.gif
since my computer's HD is going to be erased and everything built from scratch again anyway.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 69
oh, who cares? It's an operating system; it's boring, it's dull, it's functional
smily_headphones1.gif

unless you need something very specific it offers, who cares? c'mon folks, some things aren't important in life

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Second that. Most Mac people are generally ignorant about Windows mashines, and PC guys don't care about Mac (before they're stuck with one). Being here and there, I'd say Mac OS have more glitches than W2003/XP Profi. Most Mac users however never face those, while MS tend to manifest it's glitches in a spectacular way.

I'm willing to bet an awful lot of Mac users have to deal with Windows at work. I think they're well aware of Windows "glitches". Lets just say as someone who used a Windows machine most of his life, usually built his own boxes and until recently made his living with MS ASP web development, it's been much more enjoyable coming home to my computer since I made the 'switch' to OS X.

And all OSs aren't equally boring. I certainly get more excited about them, than the the vast majority of hardware (computer and .... audio).

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

i guess i dont' see to many home users rockin 2003... unless of course you "found" a copy
biggrin.gif

so far 2003 gets my vote for best OS - mac or pc.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

I've run into far more issues with W2003 than MacOS 10.4 but considering I look after a corporate network full of W2003 boxes that may not be surprising. Generally speaking I think most users just prefer what they're used to. I'm happy enough to use any OS in my day job (Yes, I do mean that literally) but at home I much prefer MacOS.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've run into far more issues with W2003 than MacOS 10.4 but considering I look after a corporate network full of W2003 boxes that may not be surprising

Try to share partition b/w W2003 and Mac and you'll know what I'm talking about. Or just look on Apple discussion boards.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Try to share partition b/w W2003 and Mac and you'll know what I'm talking about. Or just look on Apple discussion boards.

I have a dual boot MacOS X/XP laptop and have MacOS X mount XP's NTFS partition read/write. Works great. Bit of a pain to set up initially but that's just as true mounting Mac partitions on Windows too (and I don't want to pay for Macdrive). Or are you talking of something else?

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #29 of 69
"Second that. Most Mac people are generally ignorant about Windows mashines, and PC guys don't care about Mac (before they're stuck with one). Being here and there, I'd say Mac OS have more glitches than W2003/XP Profi. Most Mac users however never face those, while MS tend to manifest it's glitches in a spectacular way."

What are you talking about? I never have a problem with my mac, but my Vista machine crashes all the time.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a dual boot MacOS X/XP laptop and have MacOS X mount XP's NTFS partition read/write. Works great. Bit of a pain to set up initially but that's just as true mounting Mac partitions on Windows too (and I don't want to pay for Macdrive). Or are you talking of something else?

Nay, I'm talking Samba/SMB over TCP/IP. Since W2003 MS does not supported SMB exchange on port 139 (known vulnerability), but Mac can not establish SMB on 445. It's a well known problem for more than 3 years alrady - no solution from Apple so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back