AAARGH My Rudi amp Dead.
Oct 8, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Oh, my God, how many times I have opened the Egmont .... (very HI voltage inside) just for the bias control of the 6sn7 ... I'm a lucky man !!!
blink.gif
redface.gif

Nik - now we all know where your hair went
eggosmile.gif
IN SMOKE!!
basshead.gif

Mine is going the same way
k1000smile.gif

John - I agree - will stop taking things personally despite the fact that I am the only one here who you can possibly try to counter. Nevermind - ive got better things to do.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 68
Nik : in a well designed commercial amp (not like my prototype on breadboard
wink.gif
) everything should be isolated and bleeder resistors implemented on the PS caps. I suppose that opening the Egmont wasn't really "that" dangerous.

I just wanted to point out that tube amps can be dangerous even when turned off. And no matter how well protected is the internal wiring one can almost always find a way to burn his fingers. Law of Murphy you know
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
lan just wanted me to open up the tushi to take a pic inside but i was like n-n-n-ooooo! I fear to fool with my gear

Dude
eggosmile.gif

Thats just WRONG
lambda.gif
580smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL - I love a good pun now and then

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
John - I agree - will stop taking things personally despite the fact that I am the only one here who you can possibly try to counter. Nevermind - ive got better things to do.

Actually I was adding my 2¢ to what Tim D said in one of his later posts. Normally when I want to disagree with someone I will quote them.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #36 of 68
Quick Update: I have just had an email back from Rudi. I have emailed hime back but at the moment I will not disclose more details until later when I am 100% sure I have all the facts.

Please don't give GSdude a hard time about this. At the end of the day we are all in this forum for one reason. Btw GSdude to show there are no hard feelings can u please let me pick up your paypal fees to do with your amp. I have apaypal account and would like to make it up to you. I feel terrible about the amp which wasn't bought.

Rudi>I still think you make great amps and I still recommend them.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Btw GSdude to show there are no hard feelings can u please let me pick up your paypal fees to do with your amp. I have apaypal account and would like to make it up to you. I feel terrible about the amp which wasn't bought.

Absolutely NOT. Dont worry about it. Its a good amp and will find a good home.

Waiting for update about your amp.

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

What? Has the world gone against me now? When did I advise people to start poking their hands into their amplifiers when they were turned on? Besides - at this level people have to know that its nonsense if they open their amps when it is turned on!!
eek.gif
All I wanted was a few continuity checks with a multimeter!!
rolleyes.gif

God - give up on the drama already!!

Now that Kevin has told us the voltages inside, it appears safe to open the amp. However, capacitors do not suddenly stop holding a charge when you turn the amp off. Even if bleeder resistors are in place, they can sometimes take hours to drain a charge. If bleeder resistors are not in place, capacitors can hold a charge for hours, weeks, sometimes months. Without knowing the voltage, or that those voltages persist for long periods of time, suggesting to someone else that they open the amp was putting them at risk. And yes, I'm against doing that, even with good intent.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

I feel terrible about the amp which wasn't bought.

There's no reason you should feel bad about your post. You did nothing wrong. I'd really hate to see the day that people hold back on posting factual accounts of problems because of concern over hurting an items' resale value.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Seriously. I went to sleep while listening to music, I woke up this morning switched the amp off and went to work. I came home switched it on, press play on my cd player and only sound came out of one side. Pull the headphone jack out, pushed it back in press play again, same problem. Swapped cables over, same problem, swapped to different tubes, same problem, switches to a different amp, no problem!!!!! I am totally annoyed about this. This was my fave amp.
I have emailed rudi to see what he says and how much for repair. But it gives me the oppurtunity to upgrade to CAV status. Ha ha, Always try to see the good in a bad situation!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Dear Friend,
as I have mailed to you, although your amp is a third hand ( it was a demo, sold as demo at low price to the preivous owner ) I'll extend the warranty to you.
Regards

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi
Dear Friend,
as I have mailed to you, although your amp is a third hand ( it was a demo, sold as demo at half price to the preivous owner ) I'll extend the warranty to you.
Regards

Demo? Well this should put at ease people's concerns about the production line amps. I hope you didn't pay more than half price on your amp, Redwing!

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Now that Kevin has told us the voltages inside, it appears safe to open the amp. However, capacitors do not suddenly stop holding a charge when you turn the amp off. Even if bleeder resistors are in place, they can sometimes take hours to drain a charge. If bleeder resistors are not in place, capacitors can hold a charge for hours, weeks, sometimes months. Without knowing the voltage, or that those voltages persist for long periods of time, suggesting to someone else that they open the amp was putting them at risk. And yes, I'm against doing that, even with good intent.

I agree
wink.gif
I leave my headphones in the amp when I turn on/off because if I dont and I plug them in later I get a HUGE POP from the caps reserves...How do I wire a bleeder resistor? 470 ohms should do it? Between cap+ and ground?

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

I agree
wink.gif
I leave my headphones in the amp when I turn on/off because if I dont and I plug them in later I get a HUGE POP from the caps reserves...How do I wire a bleeder resistor? 470 ohms should do it? Between cap+ and ground?

Cheers!

Hirsh was talking about power supply capacitors, the Bop ( absolutly not dangerous and common to many other amplifiers )is due to output capacitors. To avoid the bop just leave the headphon plugged for a while after switch off ( as writen in instructions ), it discharge the capacitors. There are not discharge resistors on output to not effect the sound.

Oct 8, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #44 of 68
Hi gsferrari...
470 Ohm resistor will fry immeriately if you put it across that high voltage specially when the amp is on, that's if it does not take with it the rectifier, fuse & the transformer, if it happens to be of very high wattage. Any voltages beyond 150VDC-350VDC it would be fare to install 120K-150K resistor at 20-30 watts across the caps, any thing smaller in value will act as heavy load on the power supply & drops your rectified voltage to very low DC. Yet when turned off it will act as load & dischage the high voltage within 2-6 minutes depending on voltage it self.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi
Hirsh was talking about power supply capacitors, the Bop ( absolutly not dangerous and common to many other amplifiers )is due to output capacitors. To avoid the bop just leave the headphon plugged for a while after switch off ( as writen in instructions ), it discharge the capacitors. There are not discharge resistors on output to not effect the sound.

Yeah - my headphones are always plugged in and when they are not - I use a cheap pair of headphones to plug in and remove the residual charge (they pop) and then I plug in my quality headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back