AAAAWWWW YYYYEEEAAAHHH!
Dec 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #46 of 123

Quote:
That statement directly contradicts your original statement, even when the HD650s are being driven out of an iPod/phone, they're still more detailed than the Beats by far.

are you sure?? because am sure it is by far not by far better 
triportsad.gif

beats had higher sounds and boomy bass compared to the low volume of the hd650 on ipod only.
ive tried to plug it on my laptop and played some flac lacrimosa goodness and ive kinda heard some outstanding quality in some parts.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #47 of 123
Boomy bass is usually a term associated with bad audio quality on head-fi.

I don't really know what to say about the volume part.  Even 600Ω Beyers can get to a decent volume level out of an iPod for me personally.

Beats on the other hand noticeably become distorted rather fast the more you turn their volume up.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #48 of 123
Headphones are very subjective. Just because somebody on the forums says they sound great doesn't necessarily mean that you will also find them great. Can you describe the sound signature you prefer? 
Use the glossary at: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary for help with audiophile terms for describing sound. 
Believe me when I say that nobody finds their 'perfect' headphone the first time they buy anything. Some of the forum members here have bought 10 headphones, 10 amps, 10 sources, and they still haven't found what they consider to be 'perfection'. It is a journey for sure.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #49 of 123
Quote:
Hmm. The bass response drops sharply at 30Hz. So there's no reason for Beats not to have sub-bass.... right?

It is because of the active noise-cancellation feature, the sub-bass is filtered out so that it does not interfere with the NC.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really know what to say about the volume part.  Even 600Ω Beyers can get to a decent volume level out of an iPod for me personally.

It is very subjective what is "loud enough". Apparently, the OP prefers very loud sound with heavy bass. Although the HD650 will always be "quiet" when swapped directly with the Beats without adjusting the volume (if that is what the OP complains about), it is an unavoidable result of its impedance/sensitivity compared to that of the Beats.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #51 of 123

Quote:
Headphones are very subjective. Just because somebody on the forums says they sound great doesn't necessarily mean that you will also find them great. Can you describe the sound signature you prefer? 
Use the glossary at: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary for help with audiophile terms for describing sound. 
Believe me when I say that nobody finds their 'perfect' headphone the first time they buy anything. Some of the forum members here have bought 10 headphones, 10 amps, 10 sources, and they still haven't found what they consider to be 'perfection'. It is a journey for sure.

hmmm.... you can say the i prefer something between 
Analytical and detailed.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #52 of 123

Quote:

It is very subjective what is "loud enough". Apparently, the OP prefers very loud sound with heavy bass. Although the HD650 will always be "quiet" when swapped directly with the Beats without adjusting the volume (if that is what the OP complains about), it is an unavoidable result of its impedance/sensitivity compared to that of the Beats.

YES! that exactly it! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #53 of 123
I'm pretty new to this and don't even own any audiophile cans yet (come on Santa!), but I think one thing that might have been overlooked if he wants more detail is the source. What quality of music is the OP using from his ippd? If he's using 32kbps music that he downloaded from the internet (people actually do put 32kbps music out there I'm not missing a 0!) or even something like 128 or 192 kbps maybe he's getting everything out of it he can from the the headphones supplied by Mr. Dre and therefore there isn't much more detail for the hd650's to show?

So my suggestion would be to make sure all the music you're testing on is at least 320kbps or, if you want to use the HD650's from your computer consider ripping your music to flac and getting something with a usb DAC and an amp like the Nuforce HD and listening from that. Maybe that would make the difference noticeable? But it depends what you're using now.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #55 of 123

Quote:
I'm pretty new to this and don't even own any audiophile cans yet (come on Santa!), but I think one thing that might have been overlooked if he wants more detail is the source. What quality of music is the OP using from his ippd? If he's using 32kbps music that he downloaded from the internet (people actually do put 32kbps music out there I'm not missing a 0!) or even something like 128 or 192 kbps maybe he's getting everything out of it he can from the the headphones supplied by Mr. Dre and therefore there isn't much more detail for the hd650's to show?

So my suggestion would be to make sure all the music you're testing on is at least 320kbps or, if you want to use the HD650's from your computer consider ripping your music to flac and getting something with a usb DAC and an amp like the Nuforce HD and listening from that. Maybe that would make the difference noticeable? But it depends what you're using now.

since you bring this on topic, from where you downlaod your music???
i buy mine from amazon mp3 but they are not that good

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #57 of 123
The whole bitrate thing is massively overrated.  You can still get great quality mp3s at around 256-320kbps, but the major thing to know about is the quality of the original recording and mastering.  

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #59 of 123
HD Tracks is, yes. Though I suspect this will not solve your problem.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #60 of 123
If it is bass you want, perhaps you should switch genres rather than headphones. Move away from classical to some dupstep, hip hop, electronica and trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back