AAAAWWWW YYYYEEEAAAHHH!
Dec 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #76 of 123
The better thing to do is just resell the HD650, go back to your beats and never think about this audiophile thing again.  The alternative is to stick around, search on the forums and reviews for a few months and then realize for yourself what your issue was, and why it doesn't sound like what you want it to.  The simpler thing is just to let it go and be happy with what you think sounds good.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #77 of 123
+1 on Beats.

Quote:
Rezel, where is your avatar from? She looks so familiar....and cute
wink_face.gif

She's Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai or Haganai for short.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #78 of 123
Ideally you need a PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER! A 10+ band graphic EQ is acceptable as well. Get one of those and the amp/source you use barely matters at all. People here hate the beats because they don't seem to be able to sense "presence" in sound; "dry and brittle" is the audiophile signature! I hate the beats because they are cheap plastic made to break.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #79 of 123

Quote:
so then the faster answer:
1 yours senn need an amp anyway because they ARE a exellent pair of headphones.
2 99% who buy beats buy it because mainstreamness,not because they have a critical discernment in searching for what they are looking for

dre is not a musician and not a expert headphone constructor.

Dr Dre is an audio engineer/producer. He understands sound better than most if not all ppl on here! Problem is he also understands how to make huge profits, hence the price/quality of Beats.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #80 of 123

Quote:
+1 on Beats.

She's Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai or Haganai for short.

Oh that new anime....chose not to watch it this season. Seems like I made a bad choice from what I hear from the community these past few months.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #81 of 123

Quote:
Dr Dre is an audio engineer/producer. He understands sound better than most if not all ppl on here! Problem is he also understands how to make huge profits, hence the price/quality of Beats.

ok,so there a huge astronomical boycott conspiracy community with a generalized ear pathology against dr.dre.

the only thing he really know there are a bunch of people around here with no critical sense that buy things because mainstream tell them what to buy to be the cool-guy in the group (without even try others headphones,that would be the easiest thing to do to compare),as in all consumer world.
so the huge profits.
now tell me that he is a Phd in economy and marketing without no right arm behind him

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #82 of 123

Quote:
Welcome to Head Fi.  This has been a mystery for a very long time.

Wow. I wish more people were this honest and now I do wonder why companies make headphones that are so hard to drive. That would be a good discussion. 

OP, if I were you I would sell the HD650s on the FS forum here on headfi. Stick with the beats for portable use and get some D2000s for home use. Simple and sweet. This will help you figure out what kind of sound you are looking for and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the D2000s.   

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #83 of 123
i still can't figure out if good amps will "only" boost volume levels or it gonna make the music sounds better.

is the e7+e9 combo would make a noticeable difference than with the e7 alone??
am not sure i will go with another headphones that i may end up not using them propebly

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #84 of 123

Quote:
i still can't figure out if good amps will "only" boost volume levels or it gonna make the music sounds better.

is the e7+e9 combo would make a noticeable difference than with the e7 alone??
am not sure i will go with another headphones that i may end up not using them propebly

Good amps = boost sound + make sound better. It is very hard to describe but headphones that don't have proper amping will sound thin and weak and give the impression that your headphones sound horrible. Properly amped, the headphones sound 'full' and brings out the best in your headphones (depending on synergy). It doesn't just 'boost' the sound, why else would people buy amplifiers that cost +$1000. I cannot describe this any better and you can only understand once you hear it. Right now, you are hearing the HD650 at it's worst.

To answer your question, yes the E7 + E9 combination would be noticeably better than just the E7 alone. That said, a lot of people here think these headphones may not be best for you. 
Did you read the comments we wrote above? We recommend you should just go get some Beats for now and try other headphones afterwards. 

EDIT: I really need to stop posting in this thread...

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #85 of 123
Amps won't add the bass you want. Try EQ to see if you like HD650 better. If not, sell your HD650 for something else that's for bassheads. You need to know even Beats Pro is in the basshead club thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #87 of 123

Here's an idea ~ sell the Beats, sell the HD650, save more money and get these

Ultrasone Signature Pro ~ It's what the Beats Studios were meant to be in the first place ~ total basshead dream.

Not cheap, that's for sure but they do uber quantities of bass better than anything I've ever heard

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #88 of 123

Quote:
thats when the tragedy comes... ive plugged my new, shiny hd 650 to my ipod expecting at LEAST some kind of improvment over the beats because i am aware of the fact that i need a good source and amp to get the "juice" out of the hd 650.
and what ive heard??? low volumes, weak bass and no NOTICEABLE improvment in sound quality!!!!
actually it is WORSE than the beats!!!! 

actually the bass is the least of my concerns as i mostly play classical music.
what i want is a better quality "overall" which i didnt found in the hd650

Well to him, weakly amplified HD650's sound vastly inferior to the Beats for classical so I don't see why not.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #89 of 123

Quote:

Well to him, weakly amplified HD650's sound vastly inferior to the Beats for classical so I don't see why not.

Idno. Why can't he just bring his HD650 to an audio store, pretend to audition some amplifiers/stereos, plug them in and see if the HD650 is what he wants? Surely there are audio stores around, or maybe friends/neighbours/relatives who have amps/receivers........ 

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #90 of 123
To the OP - Quantity =/= quality. There is a reason the HD650 has stood the test of time and remains a highly regarded headphone around these parts. You don't need a lot of money to get the most out of it, but you do need to make carefully considered decisions. The market is flooded with very good budget components, but the HD650 is also picky with synergy in my experience.

If you want to persist with the HD650, try the E9. A lot of people here swear by it, although I question whether those people have actually heard anything better. The HD650 appreciation thread is littered with posts praising the change when upgrading from the E9.

Having said all that the HD650 won't magically transform with "better" components. What you get is refinement. If you don't like the way it generally sounds now you're probably better off looking at other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back