AAA battery suggestion?
Jan 4, 2010 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Banned at his own request
Apparently, Energizer e2 Titanium isn't as good as I hoped it to be. My Total Airhead just started clipping real seriously all of a sudden. I changed the batteries. These ones also e2 Titanium AAAs, but they were being used with my graphing calculator for 4 months now and I'm quite sure that they'll die real quick too. I put the old batteries in the calculator: bone-dry. It won't even turn on.
What shocks me is 1) how all-of-a-sudden the Titanium dies, and 2) Airhead on low-gain with just 40 hours of service!
No doubt I'll go buy new batteries tomorrow and I'm looking forward to some suggestions. e2 Lithium, very expensive but hopefully better performance and don't die real quick? Normal alkalines? Rechargeables are not rec'd in the Airhead manual.
Please help! Thanks!

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 12
I've never tried the Titanium but I've found the Lithium to work in a variety of portable amps over time for me. Same issue of sudden drop in power though when they're at the end of their life - part of the design of those types of batteries (deisgned for high power use in cameras, etc).

If you can get something like the Rezap Pro locally you could consider multiple recharging regular alkalines or even titaniums (but it needs some charge left, not dead flat
wink.gif
).

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 12
I'll ask someone around about rechargeables.
That Rezap device charges non-rechargeable batteries? Wow. Will ask local electronic stores. AUS 100~ish isn't a lot.
Thanks!

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Got Panasonic Evolta's. Don't want to spend $15 on 4 cells that won't last half a month.
Seems like the Titaniums are not outputting enough voltage...? The green power LED on the Airhead is bright enough to be seen in daylight now.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 12
Best AAA's Ni-MH are the Sanyo Eneloop cell [very low self discharge rate] followed by the Sanyo 900 mAh industrial green battery. Both made in Japan. Costco has some Duracell Ni-MH which are in fact rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. The clue is the white top and identical construction as Sanyo....and made in Japan

I've had off brand junk Ni-MH's go bad on me and leak under normal use - not worth the risk.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I use rechargeable energizer batteries for my air head that I bought in an 8pack with the charger at wal mart for less than 20 bucks.. and it gets the job done. I can always tell when the batteries are just about finished to because I get horrible clipping and unbearable static on my W3's!!

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who has a link for Eneloop AAA? I can only find them in AA. Thanks.

thomasdistributing dot com has them....eBay prices seem to be high.

If you are using this AMP on a daily basis you may be better served with Sanyo's 1000 mAh cells since you may run them down fast enough to benefit from the higher capacity...before the inherent self discharge of "old school" Ni-MH chemistry draws them down. However you can't go wrong with Eneloops and the their rebranded "white top (+)" clones. Duracell also has some non-eneloops out there that are not the real deal...made in China and NOT made by Sanyo.

Anyhow the AAA Eneloops are rated at 800 mAh which is respectable.
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA is all I use for my airhead.

The E2 is alkaline which is normally respectable but you should get better mileage out of any lithium battery. Rechargeables drive me up the wall.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 12
I really like the Sanyo Eneloops as well. I haven't used them in an amp, but I use them in everything else. I don't always need the low self discharge capability, but it's nice to just be able to toss a set of batteries in a device instead of looking for a particular set matched to a device. I primarily use them for the lights on my bike, my xbox controllers, remotes, and flashlights.

I do have a couple of high capacity (2700mAh) AAs that came with my charger, and I've found that they charge to 2800mAh while the 2000mAh Eneloops charge to about 2400mAh, so you don't lose out much in capacity in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back