A900s really lacking in bass?
May 16, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I meant new comers who didn't use any audiophile cans before.
icon10.gif

Well, they were my 2nd can after the HD600, so I hadn't experienced any huge bass cans or anything, but even compared to the HD600s, their bass is very laid back. But you may be right.

May 16, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #32 of 54
I'm going to have to get an amp or another source, because I really don't see how the 900s have more bass than the 280s. Something must be screwed up here, and it's probably the output on my sound card.

May 16, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #33 of 54
have you tried the A900's on different sources, preferably ones that have more power such as a receiver that you use for speakers or a home theatre system?

May 16, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #34 of 54
???
confused.gif

In my experience, the HD280 was very lacking in bass quantity out of unamped sources, though what was there was nice and tight. The A900 OTOH had plenty of bass, but it wasn't always as controlled as I would have liked. If the 280 has more bass than the A900, I think that means that a) you're driving the 280's well, while simultaneously b) you're not driving the A900's well at all.

The stats? 40 ohms and 101dB for the A900, 64 ohms and 113dB for the HD280... Both should be rather easy to drive... or am I missing something?

May 16, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #35 of 54
I can't be imagining this...
I have yet to try another source since my receiver headphone jack is broken and my Creative Mp3 player won't turn on anymore. So I'm pretty much out of luck here.

May 16, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
???
confused.gif

In my experience, the HD280 was very lacking in bass quantity out of unamped sources, though what was there was nice and tight. The A900 OTOH had plenty of bass, but it wasn't always as controlled as I would have liked. If the 280 has more bass than the A900, I think that means that a) you're driving the 280's well, while simultaneously b) you're not driving the A900's well at all.

The stats? 40 ohms and 101dB for the A900, 64 ohms and 113dB for the HD280... Both should be rather easy to drive... or am I missing something?

He's using the line-out from his card, which means it'll have trouble driving just about anything. Maybe the HD280 handles underpowering sonically better than the A900?

May 16, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

It's biggest missunderstanding that A900LTD's using same driver as A900. But they use different drivers. What AT called private design drivers which is using highest quality diaphragm. Please click here to see

There are no hard evidences to that claim besides that marketing ad. I don't even understand what that mean
"The diaphragm of the superlative machine transferring was adopted, limited edition private design driver unit loading."
eek.gif
(probably just translation)

On the other hand there are people that had seen both A900 and A900LTD drivers in person and didn't see any differences between two.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=a900+recabled

May 16, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
On the other hand there are people that had seen both A900 and A900LTD drivers in person and didn't see any differences between two.

That's not very meaningful. If you opened up a K701 and K601, by eye you probably wouldn't be able to see anything different. Even drivers that are technically known to be different, i.e. HD600 and HD650 drivers are very difficult to tell apart from one another by eye. Not by ear though...

May 16, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

There are no hard evidences to that claim besides that marketing ad. I don't even understand what that mean
"The diaphragm of the superlative machine transferring was adopted, limited edition private design driver unit loading."
eek.gif

They have different drivers, different sound and specs. This maybe just marketing ad. as you say but what about the truth ?

Also please point out the post where it's proved same drivers and same sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I have A500 as well as A900LTD and I say both have much difference. One is forward sounding while another is dull. Maximum owners will have my openion except few of them who sold their pairs without giving them a chance to perform with better matching sources.

BTW... I respect your openion and it's just like HD580, HD600 and HD650 are same.

May 16, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
He's using a 'line out'? Somehow I didn't quite get that from his description. In that case it's certainly not meant to drive those headphones, or just about any headphones for that matter.

Sorry for the late response.

All of AV-710s outs are line-outs (see url). I don't think there is an integrated amp on that card (part of the reason it's so cheap?)

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=16&PISNo=199

May 16, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

eek.gif

There is a HUGE difference in sound between the two. If they did use the same driver, I could care less, but I am pretty sure they didn't. Really, all I care about is the sound, not how they made them. Maybe you should give them a listen before you say stuff like this...
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
Sorry for the late response.

All of AV-710s outs are line-outs (see url). I don't think there is an integrated amp on that card (part of the reason it's so cheap?)

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/p...o=16&PISNo=199

YUK! Well that offers some explanation, though my comments about bass and freq. response in general still apply to this headphone, even with a great amp.

May 16, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

They have different drivers, different sound and specs. This maybe just marketing ad. as you say but what about the truth ?

Also please point out the post where it's proved same drivers and same sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I have A500 as well as A900LTD and I say both have much difference. One is forward sounding while another is dull. Maximum owners will have my openion except few of them who sold their pairs without giving them a chance to perform with better matching sources.

I never said that they sound the same, they probably don't. But that difference might not because of the drivers. No point of designing a new driver (diaphragm actually) for a short run of headphones and not to resuse it in another, not limited/special/exceptional edition model, especially if the design was so successfull. I bet most of the difference comes from that extra separate ground wire they run and some from different materials on the pads. I never had A500 but my understanding that A500 drivers *are* different from A900.
There is no point to argue, you like LTD edition sound and that what should be most important to you. If you believe the drivers are different they probaly are, for you. But not for me. I saw the pictures and read impressions of people who actually happened to open both drivers. If you have some other proofs besides that ad, like side by side photos of two diaphragms that you can share, we'll all appreciate that.

Thank you.

May 16, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #44 of 54
It's nice to see team ATH-A900LTD out in full force
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
YUK! Well that offers some explanation, though my comments about bass and freq. response in general still apply to this headphone, even with a great amp.

I agree with your statement about bass not extending terribly low. It seems to me that bass starts rolling off sharply at around 40 Hz, and at my listening levels, I cannot hear any bass below 30 Hz at all. EDIT: I did testing with a tone generator, so I the numbers aren't pulled out of thin air.

I don't find the highs particularly overwhelming, though... but I don't really have a lot of basis for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back