A900s really lacking in bass?
May 15, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
I just ran my bass test cd and I could here it very well down to 40hz or so on my 280s. Either my hearing is wacky or I've had a bad pair of A900s, I really don't think they have more of a bass impact than the 280s.

You should try amping them instead of doing it straight into the card.

May 15, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
You should try amping them instead of doing it straight into the card.

I didn't find amping them made a huge difference to the SQ relative to my 3G iPod. 40ohms is a nice impedence for portable and standard sound card sources. Not too low to get serious bass roll off, and not requiring too much voltage either.

May 15, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 54
Ok, I just tried it out straight from the card. It really does need a middle-man(amp). The sound dies, I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense.. but it's just lifeless. This could be psychological on my part though.. so YMMV.

May 15, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I didn't find amping them made a huge difference to the SQ relative to my 3G iPod. 40ohms is a nice impedence for portable and standard sound card sources. Not too low to get serious bass roll off, and not requiring too much voltage either.

Unless the line-out on the AV710 isn't meant to drive such low impedances.

A PA2V2 might be a nice investment for OP.

May 16, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #20 of 54
AV710 line-out is not meant to drive high-current low-impedance gear. I tried, it sucked. Not only bass suffers--the whole frequency spectrum balance is screwed up. I can listen to a900ltds for hours through the receiver, but my ears hurt after 30 mins out of the card--the highs are shrill, "brittle" and absolutely kill my ears. It's likely that a900 drivers simply operate out of spec when powered out of av710 straight.

May 16, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891
AV710 line-out is not meant to drive high-current low-impedance gear. I tried, it sucked. Not only bass suffers--the whole frequency spectrum balance is screwed up. I can listen to a900ltds for hours through the receiver, but my ears hurt after 30 mins out of the card--the highs are shrill, "brittle" and absolutely kill my ears. It's likely that a900 drivers simply operate out of spec when powered out of av710 straight.

He's using a 'line out'? Somehow I didn't quite get that from his description. In that case it's certainly not meant to drive those headphones, or just about any headphones for that matter.

May 16, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #22 of 54
I'm using the output right next to the optical output. I'm not sure its line out per se, but it's the one you're supposed to use for "high sample rate" mode. I'll be getting an amp soon, hopefully my sound improves then.

May 16, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891

Seonded with Revolution 7.1

And I am wondering that Borky's getting ear rattling bass impact with HD280's which is accused as bass shy.

May 16, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #24 of 54
I own both the A900 and A900LTD, and I must say the LTDs have much stronger and nicer bass. Better extension and impact. This is what I love about them. IMO the A900s have less than neutral while LTDs have more than neutral, compared to my HD600s. If you want the AT sound with more bass, definitely look into getting some LTDs. You won't be dissappointed.

May 16, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
I own both the A900 and A900LTD, and I must say the LTDs have much stronger and nicer bass. Better extension and impact. This is what I love about them. IMO the A900s have less than neutral while LTDs have more than neutral, compared to my HD600s. If you want the AT sound with more bass, definitely look into getting some LTDs. You won't be dissappointed.

If LTD are so great, why Audio-Technica stopped making them. Production cost is no more than A900, same drivers, slightly different cable and pads, solid, over $100 markup.
confused.gif

May 16, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
If LTD are so great, why Audio-Technica stopped making them. Production cost is no more than A900, same drivers, slightly different cable and pads, solid, over $100 markup.
confused.gif

Um, because they are a limited production can? Hence the LTD. Not that hard to understand...

May 16, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
confused.gif

Limited edition is made to boost their reputation rather then making profit IMO. Also bigger companies like Audio technica can't survive by just selling 500 units or 1000.

It's biggest missunderstanding that A900LTD's using same driver as A900. But they use different drivers. What AT called private design drivers which is using highest quality diaphragm. Please click here to see

May 16, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky
I just did a side by side comparison of my new HD 280s and some A900s I've had for over a year (they were my first headphones). I noticed that while the A900s are more neutral and clear sounding, they lack a lot of bass when compared to the HD 280s. Is this normal, I thought the consensus around here was that the HD 280s had little bass impact while a900s were renowned for some good, solid bass impact and extension.

By the way, I'm plugging directly into my high res output on my Chaintech card for this.

It's really confusing
confused.gif

A900's first impression for all user's are
basshead.gif

While almost every user of HD280's dissappointed with bass.

May 16, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
A900's first impression for all user's are
basshead.gif

I was never under this impression from A900s, always wanted more bass from them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back