A700 vs AD700 vs A900?
Dec 12, 2005 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
Which of the following would you recommend?

A700: $127 @ ElectronJon's
AD700: $110 @ ElectronJon's
A900: $189 @ AudioCubes

I'm about to order, but which one do I want (or do I want one of the 500 models)? I hear great things about AT's (everything from sound to comfort, to construction quality to very easy 'drivability') so I've finally narrowed myself down to these models (I eliminated other possibilities like the HD555's) but I'm not sure if I want open or closed and I'm not sure sure if I want to spend the extra on the A900's. My original budget was around $150CDN (about $130 US) but I hear amazing things about the A900s and can't seem to find very many reviews at all on the lower models.

Are the 900's a significant step up and are they worth destroying my budget for? $189 is pretty steep for me so I only want to have to spend it if there are real noticeable differences (even with sources like an iPod and an Audigy 2) If it's not worth it, which of the 700s sounds better? Do I want open or closed? I do enjoy bass and like a good punch to my headphones but I don't want the bass to be muddy and to drown out the detail and soundstage either.

One more question: How's AudioCubes? I went to their site and calculated that shipping here is only 9 bucks which sounds mighty fine to me. How long do they normally take to ship, how's their service in general, and do I have to pay taxes if I'm ordering from across the border?

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help I've received on this board over the past couple weeks regarding my upcoming purchase.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 30
mad.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 30
well from what I have read.. the A500's and a900's has minimal differences really... So the A700's in between should shrink the gap even more since it should be right in between them.

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 30
From what I have read, the A700 and A900 are very similar. One reviewer did a side-by-side comparison and could barely tell the difference. A search of "A700 vs A900" or something like would probably lead you to the review if you're curious to read it.

The general consensus is that open headphones sound better than closed, so I would go with the AD700s if I were you.

I haven't personally used Audiocubes, but many here have and I have read very limited complaints. Here's their page at Reseller Ratings: Click

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 30
The nice thing about AT phones, or at least the ones I've heard, is that they manage to maintain a pretty similar sonic signature across the line up. I scantly remember the AD700 being a little bassier and fun sounding, but this was a quick impression made over a year or more ago in a crowded department store in Japan. Back when I was just getting into the hobby (someone here reveiwed the AD700 recently and said he found them to be a very solid contemporary to the AKG K501, if that gives you a frame of reference). Also, from what I heard, the A900 sounds nearly identical to the AD900 (I picked the AD because I thought I could pick out more mids separation between the two, and they were on special that day at the store I was in). AT cans are a little more forward with their mids than some other cans I've listened to. And a little lean on bass. It's a pleasing balance, and they're very comfy, but you might go with something from another company if you want it rawkin'!

Remember that the open cans from AT will let you hear what's outside and let what's outside hear you. Also, they have velour pads instead of pleather. Mmm Velour....

I would say, if you're certain and you want to make an investment into the AT line, go with the 900. A reviewer over on headphonereviews go so far as to mention it being like a baby CD3000. That thirty dollars difference won't hurt too much over time (specially if you wait till after christmas... this is a trying time of year
tongue.gif
) and you'll have a rad can that you might keep forever...
I doubt I'm going to be parting with my AD900 anytime soon.

If you want to experiment with the house sound, go ahead and get the 500 or 700. They're both gonna be good, you'll save some cash, and if you find yourself wanting to upgrade, or if you're just not sold on Audio Technica, you shouldn't have a very hard time finding them a new home in FS/FT.

As for whether you go open or closed, that just depends on how you want to use them. Mine are open because they never leave my bedroom.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 30
I have the A700s and they're pretty decent for closed cans, though they have their flaws. Assuming the AD700s sound more or less like the A700s, then in the same price range for open cans I think there are better choices. For closed, though, they're good. My initial impressions can be found here, and more extended listening hasn't changed my thoughts on these appreciably.

Now, assuming you want closed, are the A900s $62 better than the A900s? I'm not sure, as I've not heard them, but as others have suggested, the few who have heard both generally indicate that there's not much difference.

And yes, AudioCubes is fine to order from--I've done so many times.
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 30
You know, something about the AT impressions that I've got has confused me. A general rule of thumb when it comes to headphones is that you should choose open cans over closed unless you need the isolation because open almost always sounds better.

Well, with what I've been reading about the Audio Technica's (500, 700, and 900 series) it really doesn't sound like the AD models (open) offer a better sound than their closed brothers. I get the impression that that have a slighty wider soundstage but they seem to lack the bass that the A models have. And it's not like they're merely doing without bloated, muddy bass. I've been getting the impression that the close models have strong, yet accurate and punchy bass. From all the reviews I've read, I'm seeing much more love towards the closed AT's than towards the open ones. It's actually pretty surprising.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 30
heyyou: I'm just going on impressions like you are, but my feeling is that it's like this - take the $200 price point. A-T have the closed A900s and the open AD900s. A $200 closed headphone is competing against they Beyer 770s and...um...nothing else really springs to mind. A $200 open headphone is competing against HD600s, HF-1s and some other real great headphones. The A900s are a great deal for $200 closed phones. The AD900s, EVEN THOUGH in absolute quality terms they're a little better than A900s, aren't a great deal for $200 open phones, because the competition is so strong. Make sense? Hope so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 30
AdamWill, that logic makes sense but still. Less than a hanful of people have the AD700's and I have yet to come across a single person who owns the AD900's. A little while ago I came across an poll asking what AT's people owned and there were 90 votes for the A series while only 10 for the AD series.

Even though the AD's have more competition, they still seem conspicuously unpopular compare to the closed equivalents.

On a related note, there's a headline at AudioCubes that says "UPCOMING: Audio-Technica Winter 2005 Headphones." Does anyone know anything about that?

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 30
Any idea what AT's new Winter 05 models are? I don't want to order a pair of A900's, only to have a better, cheaper new model hit shelves.

If the new models don't invade on A900 territory, then I'm going to order them in a few days. (I would order them now but I have exams coming up and I don't want the headphones to arrive before I'm finished writing them
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
AdamWill, that logic makes sense but still. Less than a hanful of people have the AD700's and I have yet to come across a single person who owns the AD900's. A little while ago I came across an poll asking what AT's people owned and there were 90 votes for the A series while only 10 for the AD series.

Even though the AD's have more competition, they still seem conspicuously unpopular compare to the closed equivalents.

On a related note, there's a headline at AudioCubes that says "UPCOMING: Audio-Technica Winter 2005 Headphones." Does anyone know anything about that?

The Audio-Technica is a little hard to come by outside of Japan, and when they are, they generally have a fairly decent tax slapped on top. AD700 has been around since Oct2003, but AD900/1000/2000 were not available until Nov2004.

Granted A900 has more bass presence than AD900, but I find the delivery comes at a price. That is the bass being a little muddy and "closed-in". In effect, the bass difference is "presence (A900)" to "good presentation (AD900)". I also find the extension of high and low to be a little rolled off with A900 - strange though it may seems when comparing the 2 specifications (A900: 5 ~40,000Hz; AD900: 5 ~35,000Hz.)

Back to your query regarding A700, AD700 and A900: I would choose A900. I find A900 to present a better balance frequencies range than the other two. Between A700 and AD700? Properly A700, in this case the closed nature (resonating bass and warmer mid) works together to put the fun into the 700.

However, if you add AD900 into the mix, I would pick AD900 without batting an eyelid. The AD version of the 900 is just much better in all respects, sparkling highs, clearer mids and extending bass.

(EDIT: Don't quote me, though I think winter 2005 may be referring to ATH-W5000 which I'm patiently awaiting local release, and the handing over of do$h...)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
Any idea what AT's new Winter 05 models are? I don't want to order a pair of A900's, only to have a better, cheaper new model hit shelves.

(EDIT: Looking at AT's past history, it is unlikely that a better and cheaper model will appear, more likely a better and more expensive one - ATH-A900LTD!

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 30
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

I just looked at the price over at AudioCubes and the AD900 is a full $100 more than the A900. $289 is way out of my budget so it looks like the A900 is my best bet. I'm hearing rave reviews about the SQ as well as the comfort, build, 'drivability' and compatibility with all sorts of different genres so these headphones are lookin' good to me.

If anyone has any reason why this man and this pair of headphones (A900) should not be joined in holy matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back