A700 vs AD700 vs A900?
Dec 14, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
...and I have yet to come across a single person who owns the AD900's.

What!? ::feels ignored::

Anways, there is nothing that should stop you from getting A900s unless it really will be destructive to your budget. I was in the exact same situation as you when I was AT shopping in Japan - considering the exact same cans, and I would have bought the A900, too (my mind was made up when I got on the train that morning), but the opportunity to get the AD900 for roughly the same price presented itself and I bit.

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #17 of 30
My observations;

The open AT range often have very little in common with similar numeric models from the closed range.

eg: the AD700 does not sound anything like the A700, likewise the A900 and AD900 or A1000/AD1000.

Don't assume, for example, that the A700 is "a closed AD700".

I find the difference between the A700 and A900 (closed models) to be significant enough to warrant the (relatively small) price difference. The A700 sounds "ok" the A900 sounds excellent for a closed model.

I personally prefer the AD700 (open) to both the A700 and A900 (closed) - the AD700's soundstage is wider, bass response is tighter and faster, separation is better and speed/definition is a little superior, however some people find the AD700 to be a little bright and prefer the heavier bass response of the A900.

The AD900 is a "refined" version of the AD700 (and the AD1000 is again a step up in refinement from the AD900), they have a similar overall tonal balance. If you did a very quick listen you most likely wouldn't hear a great deal of difference, but put the right music on and give them a little time and you'll notice the differences, plus going back from the likes of the AD1000 to a lower end AD model is very noticeable.

While some manufacturers tend to make specific tweaks, or exaggerate particular frequencies to emphasise a difference in models, Audio Technica tend to try to maintain similar characteristics and just make refinements/improvement to everything - keeping a particular house sound (within their parallel ranges - ie: their open models sound similar to each other and their closed models sound similar to each other, but closed and open sound quite different) - there are a few exceptions here and there where "special" models have been introduced (A1000, W1000 etc, where the A900 and A1000 have little in common).
Basically if you're a fan of the AD700, you'd probably appreciate the AD1000.
However, if you like the A700 it doesn't mean you'll like the AD700 or AD900/AD1000 because the open models sound quite different to the closed models (again, with a couple of exceptions here and there).

In short - if you want closed, stretch the budget a little and get the A900 over the A700 - it IS worth the difference.
If you want open, the AD700 is nice, but the AD900 is better
wink.gif

I personally really like the AD900 (open), I don't mind the A900 (closed) but given the choice I'd take the open model.

I really wish Audio Technica would use different model numbers to avoid the confusion between open and closed models
frown.gif

I hope people understand all this
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 30
I used to own the A700, which now belongs to a friend, and currently use the AD2000. As Snufkin so helpfully described, the A Series sounds very different from the AD Series.

I've also heard store demos of the A900LTD and the AD700. I thought the A900LTD sounded good but not enough to overcome my preference for open headphones. I wasn't impressed with the AD700; it didn't have the clear highs and details of the AD2000.

The A700 has heavier bass than the AD700, but it is the boomy, muddier type. The A900LTD's bass is better; more precise and accurate and less one-note. It doesn't have the airyness of the AD Series, though.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #19 of 30
Hmmm, now I'm not sure again.

The A700 is definitely out of the question now and the AD900 is too expensive so that leaves me with the A900 and the AD700. I really don't know which one I want. Sound isolation isn't a feature I really need so it doesn't matter whether they're closed or open but I'm trying to gauge which headphone will sound better to me.

How weak is the bass on the AD700s versus how poor is the soundstage on the A900s?

If you look at my musical taste, which headphone do you think will suit me better?

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 30
Too much information?!
biggrin.gif

I have to agree with Elephas, I too wasn't impressed by AD700 (, nor the A700.) I feel A900 surpasses both in sound quality.

Though once I heard the AD900, I could imediately hear the deficiencies of A900. IMO the audio differences between AD900 and A900 far outweight the differences between AD900 and AD2000 - serious case of digression here...

In a way the same can be said between your 3 choices. A900 is definitely a better purchase than the other 2 in my opinon.

Dec 14, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 30
I was almost in the same boat as a matter of fact. I considered for the longest time buying the A900s. Someone on here during my time of thinking also suggested the AD700s as well. In and out of Japanese stores listening to either. Both sounded great to me.

What ultimately won in the end, was me being able to get the A900s for 15,000yen ($150ish) and at the time I prefered getting a closed set of cans. Now I'm kinda wanting to get the AD700s for fun. Just to have an open set as well. Or maybe I'll splurge when I have more money and get one of the more expensive ones.
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I have an A900 coming today, and I own two CD3000's. If the A900 is anything in the league of the 3K, I will be a very happy person!!
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Did the A900's arrive? How do they sound?

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #24 of 30
Regarding the 'New Winter '05 headphones' announcement I saw at AudioCubes, here's AT's upcoming press release (dated Jan 5th 2006). I don't get it, they're announcing models like the 300, 500, and 700 series as if they're new releases. Is the announcement simply that they're officially coming to the US now and if so, does that means prices will drop?

Anyways will anything from that press release infringe on A900 territory or can I finally order a pair tomorrow? Also, out of curiosity, how long does it generally take AudioCubes to ship? The site lists the availability as "Usually ships in 3-5 days" but how long does it actually take to arrive at your doorstep (I'm in Toronto Canada, for example)?

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
Regarding the 'New Winter '05 headphones' announcement I saw at AudioCubes, here's AT's upcoming press release (dated Jan 5th 2006). I don't get it, they're announcing models like the 300, 500, and 700 series as if they're new releases. Is the announcement simply that they're officially coming to the US now and if so, does that means prices will drop?

Yes, Audio-Technica is officially distributing more products in the US. They seem to have selected some headphones at attractive price points; the AD700 street price in the US is low compared to prices in Asia. This seems similar to the Sony MDR-SA Series; official list prices and street prices are higher in Asia than in the US.

The lower prices and increased distribution in the US should result in more US-based Head-Fiers trying the AD Series. Currently, there aren't many AD Series owners here.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #28 of 30
haha you dug that thread out just to say that? :p

I bet it was because you were searching for AD2000 threads
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #30 of 30
Really interesting. Snufkins statements was the best AT summary I've ever crossed so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back