A yet undelivered pair of Grado SR325is's is in need of a soul-mate...
Apr 14, 2011 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AndreyS

New Head-Fier

Hello Head-Fi members!

I am a new kid on the block. Not an hour ago, I ordered myself a pair of Grado SR325is cans (may I add that I am shaking with excitement?).

To explain myself and my intentions, I have to tell you of some of my recent audiophillic tendencies. After just being fed up with my Bang & Olufsen A8s that I had been using on and off for 5 years or so now, I decided to replace them. This replacement is the Klipsch S4i, which put me in awe. Never better did my 320kpbs MP3s and Apple Lossless music files sound. I got tingles when listening to “Don’t Answer Me” by the Alan Parson’s Project, and laughed when I played through some of my Russian music (specifically Игорь Тальков), and heard people say “quiet!” before the music started. Then I listened to these things on my iPod, and they all just sounded … worse. Cymbals sounded more like hisses, bass was kind of muddy, and “Don’t Answer Me” sounded like an acoustical mosh pit.

Essentially, I began looking at headphone amplifiers and DACs first, before I even dreamed of getting Grados. I came across two major contenders as the novice I was and still am: the FiiO E7 and fred_fred_2004’s Ultimate CMOY. I then began searching more, and was overwhelmed by the number of choices.

Afterwards, I decided I could do even better than the Klipsch’s, and that I would need something else regardless, for these Klipsch’s are far from being built like tanks. As a result, I confess to all of you today my recent purchase of Grado SR325is’s.

Now I ask thee, seasoned audiophiles of Head-Fi, which portable amplifiers should I consider? Should I get a DAC as well considering my main computer (2010 Macbook Pro)? Or some hybrid of the two (e.g. FiiO E7)?

Essentially, I am wondering what my options are, and what I should realistically pay considering the headphones for which I just submitted my credit card information…

And predominantly, I would like to have my eyes opened more concisely to the world of portable headphone amps than Google and forum searching can.

Thank you in advance,
Andrey S.

P.S. What is the difference between the Oyaide FiiO E7 and the FiiO E7. Is the Oyaide counterpart made in Japan and the regular-old FiiO made in China?

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 27
I would definitely get a DAC, and considering the bright sound of the 325is, probably a warm-sounding solid state amp so you can smooth out the tonality without sacrifing the Grados' great speed.

What exactly is your budget? Because if you don't have one, you can just get the Weiss DAC202 and an RSA B-52, and be set for life.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 27
Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered the Oyaide E7 from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-Fiio-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003N0XDT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302895573&sr=8-1

As for the budget, I certainly have one. I was thinking that it would be rather silly to spend more on an amplifier for a set of headphones than the headphones themselves. The examples you showed me, 12345142, although awe-inspiring, are well out of my budget at this time.

Do you guys think I will be happy with the SR325 - E7 combination?

I am, in fact, only getting started with this audiophillary...

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 27
Congrats with your purchase - and welcome to the club! As a long-time SR325-lover I have one advice: If I was you I would wait for your SR325i to arrive and give them a LOOOONG listen and burn-in. We are talking weeks and months. 200-300 hours of burn-in at least. THEN - if you really like the sound of the SR325 you will have to decide whether you want to pair the SR325 with a portable amplifier that enhances the punchy, edgy, in-your-face sounding SR325 or maybe you want to mellow them out a little in the highs and pair them with a darker sounding amplifier. 

Doing this right will either make the SR325 a long-lasting love for you or worst case make you throw them away... I think the SR325's are the Islay Malts of headphones. If you learn to appreciate them it can win you over for ever. So please have patience with the SR325. They are NOT like the A8 at all... 

As for me - I can not get them bright enough and I like them very much with an iQube because they render with a very high resolution. But a LISA III is also a VERY good combination with the SR325's. But there are some many options and do not make any haste in selecting an amplifier before you have even received your headphones. ( I know it can be hard to wait when the money is burning in your pocket.) 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks for the advice rasmushorn! I had read that about Grados in general, and am SOOOOOO ready to go through burn in. I went through about a week of burn in with the Klipsch's. At first I thought they were extremely lacklust, then all of a sudden I was floored! I can't wait for this extended burn-in period!

And hey, if anything, I already despise iPod internal amp sound, and have read that many many DACs will make the MacBook Pro sound better, so I think I'll have good use of the FiiO with my little Klipsch's (avatar) if anything. Besides, most reviews of the FiiO are pretty darn good!

I just must emphasize how excited I am for these Grados! I can't even get any work done. I feel like a child!

PS Thanks for the welcome!

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 27
If you want a cheap solution which pairs extremely well with the SR325 (IMHO) then try the NuForce uDAC... I know it is not portable for your iPod, but is a great solution as a companion for your MacBook Pro and a set of SR325. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 27
The E7 is a great little starter amp and a wise choice as it has a built in dac that can be used direct from your pc. It has a slightly dark character and so should complement your 325's.

Welcome and enjoy!

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks again for the replies! Well, I think my question has been answered quite thoroughly!

I just have one more question about the FiiO vs Oyaide ordeal.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a version of the E7 that is made in Japan and one that is made in China.

Is this true?

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 27
why spend so much money on headphones then buy a cheap amp?

the E7 is ok for the money, but, that's it - a cheap amp - look on the forums at better options; Headstage Arrow, IBasso D4/6/10/12, Pico Slim, Predator, Stepdance etc etc

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 27
Like I said, I am just starting out. While I can claim a certain novice degree of experience with headphones, I certainly do not have a connoisseur's taste in headphone amps. In fact, I have absolutely none. For me to buy an über-amp now would be like buying a newborn a D&G onesie and expected him or her to appreciate it.

LugBug1 understands where I am coming from. I bet I'll enjoy the heck out of the E7 while I use it as my main amp/DAC. As my taste in audio is seasoned, I will continue my search for classier amps and DACs and maybe even build a few of my own CMOYs along the way.

Thanks for you input, everyone!

I hope I can soon become one of the helpful folks on these forums, instead of continuing to be a question-filled n00b.

PS Could we reopen my Oyaide vs FiiO question?

"I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a version of the E7 that is made in Japan and one that is made in China (the Oyaide version being all-Japanese, and the FiiO counterpart being Chinese).

Is this true, or am I just imagining things?"

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 27
I just felt it necessary to vent my current frustration:

The E7 has already shipped, but the Grados that I had ordered on Thursday are still not shipped. What is this world coming to?

mad.gif

LOL

But seriously, this is preposterous.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 27
For the SR325 you do not NEED an amplifier... they are easy to drive and plays very well directly from a digital player. That is also why I recommended you to wait...

But I do know the feeling of when money is burning in the pocket and then this is a dangerous place to sneek around 
wink_face.gif

Good luck with your new gear!

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 27
The thing is, I had ordered E7 right before you told me this, rasmushorn. Your warnings were seconds too late... I rushed, frankly! Anyway, thanks for the info and the luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back