A vocabulary question for you smarties out there
Dec 6, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Epoc.

I love that one. It's so grandiose and epic.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Sorry dude, but it's spelled epoch.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
What can I say?
cool.gif
icon10.gif

You can say whatever you want with a sig like that! It's all French to me!
icon10.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Floruit*, usually abbreviated fl., can be used to indicate the time when something was in full swing.

For example, you could say (after looking up the dates, these are just rough guesses): "The Second Viennese School (fl. 1905-1920), under Arnold Schoenberg, sought to progress beyond the chromatic language developed by Richard Wagner." Or something to that effect.

*This is the 3rd sg. perf. indic. act. form of florere (to bloom) from Latin.

Kudo's, great catch (un-assisted?)

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Is it ever used in an un-abbreviated form?

I imagine the English word flourish is derived from it.

I doubt that it would ever be seen unabbreviated. I suppose that it could be done, practically speaking, but most readers will know fl. before they'll know floruit. Coming from the Latin side, it makes no difference. The idea is, "He/she/it flourished" - or, getting the perfective aspect down more precisely - "He/she/it has flourished." This would be a historical perfect, as opposed to the completed-in-immediate-past-time pure perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Kudo's, great catch (un-assisted?)

Thanks. It was unassisted. I've had to use it in a few papers.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 26
Alright, I should have clarified before this got so out of hand...I'm not looking for a word to describe the period between the beginning and ending dates, but a word that encompasses these two dates itself. I'm currently using "boundary dates" but I have a nagging suspicion that there is a more elegant phrase that would apply here. Thanks for all the replies so far (not expecting nearly this many "smarties," but I guess I should have...it's Head-Fi!).

~Jordan

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
Alright, I should have clarified before this got so out of hand...I'm not looking for a word to describe the period between the beginning and ending dates, but a word that encompasses these two dates itself. I'm currently using "boundary dates" but I have a nagging suspicion that there is a more elegant phrase that would apply here. Thanks for all the replies so far (not expecting nearly this many "smarties," but I guess I should have...it's Head-Fi!).

~Jordan

The boring answer- "The commencement and conclusion dates."
The epic answer- "The Alpha and the Omega."
icon10.gif

The all-in-one answer- "The Bookshelf Dates."
the all-in-one answer that is plain vanilla - "The Boundary Dates." so yes, you're probably using the right term in context of your purpose.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG
Something with "span" might be what you need. Lifespan, WWII spanned from 1939 to 1945, etc. Is that what you were looking for?

Timespan.

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig

~Jordan

It might help to actually include the sentence you currently have penned, and then we could fill in an appropriate replacement. If you're referring to a period of time, you could use the word, "tenure." For example: "Hard Bop's tumultuous tenure, while fleeting, influenced many beyond the scope of jazz and spawned a generation of musical pioneers."

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 26
Exactly, like "The years 1972 and 1984 were important Boundary Dates, as they bookshelved a remarkable era which was populated by the 'Me' Generation."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back