A vocabulary question for you smarties out there
Dec 6, 2005 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
I'm writing a column for my school newspaper (I'm the music editor) and am looking for a very specific word or phrase...

It's a phrase that means "the beginning and ending dates" of a period of time. Whether it's a person's life or WWII or the 2nd Viennese school.

Help me please!

~Jordan

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 26
"duration", 'time", "interval" and "space" are also good.

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 26
You can be romantic about it and say Era. Like, "It was the end of an Era, a time of Innocence where blah blah"
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 26
Tide, "hands of time", passage, sweep, essence, panorama, purview (if used correctly), scope, fugacious (if short period)

If you are unable to find a word directly relating to your reference, utilize metaphors; provided it’s not a technical report.

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #8 of 26
Floruit*, usually abbreviated fl., can be used to indicate the time when something was in full swing.

For example, you could say (after looking up the dates, these are just rough guesses): "The Second Viennese School (fl. 1905-1920), under Arnold Schoenberg, sought to progress beyond the chromatic language developed by Richard Wagner." Or something to that effect.

*This is the 3rd sg. perf. indic. act. form of florere (to bloom) from Latin.

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
For example, you could say (after looking up the dates, these are just rough guesses): "The Second Viennese School (fl. 1905-1920), under Arnold Schoenberg, sought to progress beyond the chromatic language developed by Richard Wagner." Or something to that effect.

Impressive
cool.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 26
Durn, others got to 'era' and 'epoch' before me. What about 'milieu'?

Gosh, P.S. Smith, 'flourit' was a new one on me.
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
Durn, others got to 'era' and 'epoch' before me. What about 'milieu'?

Gosh, P.S. Smith, 'flourit' was a new one on me.
eek.gif

I don't think milieu will work. It refers to the physical surroundings/environment.

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 26
Floruit sort of stands between circa and giving precise dates. It does not have to encompass the complete lifespan of a person or thing, but rather is best suited to the period of greatest activity.

It is, if I may coin a new phrase, a precise generalizer.
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 26
PSmith08 getting all ostentatious with the vocab... nice!
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Floruit sort of stands between circa and giving precise dates. It does not have to encompass the complete lifespan of a person or thing, but rather is best suited to the period of greatest activity.

Is it ever used in an un-abbreviated form?

I imagine the English word flourish is derived from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back