A Visit to Salvation Mountain (56k warning)
Jul 1, 2008 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I had to go to Yuma on business Saturday morning and decided to turn off in Niland, California to pay a visit to Salvation Mountain (Salvation Mountain - Official Website - Niland, California). I had heard of it, and have passed through Niland hundreds of times, but had never gone. So I went.

It was a remarkable experience, and I am glad I had the camera along. Leonard Knight, who built Salvation Mountain, is one of those few people who is entirely positive, content and happy with his life. He could not have been kinder and more welcoming to me, a complete stranger. I spent about an hour there, talking, learning about what he was doing, how he built it, and taking photos. If you're in the area, a visit is worthwhile. There's nothing else like this.

Leonard was especially happy that I was taking photos - he asked me to share them with my friends. I told him I would. And I'm planning to go again. It was about 110 on Saturday, which made it difficult to spend a lot of time shooting.

For the photo geeks, these were taken with a Nikon D70s and the 18-70mm lens with a UV filter and a circular polarizer. I used a SB600 for the interior shots.

Please do not discuss religion in this thread. Salvation Mountain is inherently religious. The point of this thread is to share these photos, not to offend anyone or cause controversy. It is my hope that everyone can appreciate it as folk art and the immense amount of work that went into this:

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0215.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0231.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 19
Wow...that really is something else.
eek.gif

Does he have a family, or is it just him?

And thanks for sharing these pictures with us; never quite knew what Salvation Mountain was all about.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 19
Wow, that's colorful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace and love...

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh God this looks like religious hippie paradise .

Actually, that's a pretty accurate description.
eek.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 19
I got knowledge of this place when I watched the film Into The Wild. Which is also highly recommended
biggrin.gif
. Leonard is in it as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 19
Is it just me that feels the pictures are all a bit underexposed?

Nice framing for many of the pictures though.

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me that feels the pictures are all a bit underexposed?

Nice framing for many of the pictures though.

I'd say dark more than underexposed; I think the circular polarizer is to blame here. Still, the OP's post was more about the Mountain than the pictures, I imagine, and to that end the sight really is quite something.

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 19
It reminds me of the "Garden of Eden" in Lucas, Kansas.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back