A very stupid question about iTunes
Sep 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, there's a problem I had for a year already and I just thought I'd ask you. How do you manage your iPod/iPhone library if your iTunes library is much bigger than iPod will carry? What do you do if you want to have lossy music on iPod and lossless on your Mac? I know there's "new library" option but it doesn't solve the problem from me. Let me show you an example:
I've got a 100GB library on my Mac HDD, mostly in ALAC. I also use 16GB iPhone with cheap IEMs so I don't have to have ALACs there. I thought I'd convert my music to mp3 320kbps to use it on my iPhone. Having it made, I'm starting a new library, dropping there some music and... it copies music to the same folder where ALACs are which makes a big mess and takes useless space as I would like to store these mp3s on my external HDD. I can turn off the option of automatically copying music to iTunes Media but whenever I'd actually buy something new and wanted to copy it I'd have to manually turn it on again and as I buy lots of CDs I wouldn't have to do that. I also don't use playlists, I prefer sorting my music by artists, etc. In this case, is there any option to have 2 libraries on 2 seperate drives and have all the stuff mentioned above done?

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Ok, thought there'd be some other way to get it done that I wasn't smart enough to find myself, but it seems there isn't. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back