A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,161 of 2,218

Quote:
 You have both CTH and CKKIII amps . Which of these do you think would be best for K601 phones?

I have K601's, a CTH and a CK2III that I should be completing in the next week or so, so I might be able to give you my opinion then..  I've also got a Panda in the works, and 3 channel B22 for a friend (a 4 chassis Par-Metal order showed up yesterday... 
atsmile.gif
)

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2,162 of 2,218
I've never done a group buy nor have set one up. I'm curious as to what is needed to get this done. I'm assuming one person does the initial buy and everyone else provides the money for the parts/shipping. Is this correct? I'm game to figure this out or at least facilitate the matter.

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,163 of 2,218
Quote:
I've never done a group buy nor have set one up. I'm curious as to what is needed to get this done. I'm assuming one person does the initial buy and everyone else provides the money for the parts/shipping. Is this correct? I'm game to figure this out or at least facilitate the matter.

I've not conducted a GB either (and will soon have 3 built CTHs:) but you could take a look at other GBs from the Group Buy forum like http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/241814/group-buy-22-backplane-board-v1-1-6-5-6-17

I guess the 1st step might be PMing runeight & seeing if its feasible and, if so, any particulars (e.g.minimum # of boards, who would do what, etc.) 
I only guessed above that runeight might support a group buy if someone else would conduct it & he'd just do the board run, get paid, then ship the boards to whomever was doing the GB.   All of this is just imaginary conjecture right now:)

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #2,164 of 2,218
If anyone is interested I'm getting an interest check on a possible group buy for the latest revision (rev 2021) of the CTH pcb. Some basic info is in this thread... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536098/ic-potential-group-buy-for-cth-compact-tube-hybrid-pcb

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,166 of 2,218
Just saying I currently use my CTH with my LCD-2 and at a mini meet the CTH stood up to me against 3,000 amps without showing many flaws....great amp! 

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2,167 of 2,218
Quote:
Just saying I currently use my CTH with my LCD-2 and at a mini meet the CTH stood up to me against 3,000 amps without showing many flaws....great amp! 

Thank you for this...  Being involved in its dev I should not say much, but amongst the opinions you can find here by searching you should not miss the NYC meet ones.  There is always stellar (priced) gear @ those meets and its fun when folks take the time to listen to the CTHs.  A lot of good comes out of its 3" x 5" space:)

>  Have not heard about this revision before and do not see any mention on the Cavalli Audio site, what has changed?

Mullet noted a few of the changes in his GB IC & if/when that comes about I'm sure there will be more details about the latest rev.  IIRC they were not substantial changes, more incremental ones (e.g. incorporating a few "easy"/low-risk improvements).

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,168 of 2,218
Although I am reviving an older thread, I'm sure with the recent group buy for PCB's people might start looking at getting their parts together.

So, Mouser is out of Wima 0.1 uf polyester film capacitors (for locations C3L C3R C7L C3P C1E).  It says they should get some in soon, but if not, would I be able to up the capacitance to .22 uF for these caps.  The Wima MKS2.22/63/5T (mouser 505-mk2.22/63/5t) is in stock.  There is also the 0.1 uf 250 V version, but it is bigger in width and I don't think it'll shoehorn onto the PCB well.

Mouser is also very low on BC560CG, but Digikey seems to have lots.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,170 of 2,218
Mullet, runeight & myself have a new draft BoM for the CTH PCB in that group buy.  Did have to juggle things between Mouser & Digikey & come up w/some new subs. 
Mullet has all the parts in hand spec'd in the new BoM and we were thinking the BoM would be considered final when he builds out the 1st PCB of the latest rev. 
I think the PCBs are due this week & think Mullet will be available to start building early next week (to fully vet the new PCB rev & BoM).

The only problem with "releasing" the new draft BoM is that we cannot call it final until that 1st new rev CTH is up.  If any parts were wrong or missing it could mean costly re-orders for builders.

BTW we may want to start a new thread for this new revision, perhaps when Mullet gets going next week.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2,171 of 2,218
Like cfcubed already stated, I had to seek out a bunch of alternate parts because a bunch were on backorder or some aren't being made anymore. So we've put together the alternatives and I'm going to be starting the build *hopefully* on Saturday or Sunday. I have all the parts ready to go including the PCBs. Once all is tested and working, runeight will post a revised BOM. At that point, I'll begin collecting payments and shipping everyone their boards.

I can start the new thread once I'm into the build and *hopefully* not having issues. But, you never know with this stuff... Stay tuned!

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,173 of 2,218
Guessing from reading recent comments if I wasn't in on the GB the chances of being able to build one of these any time soon are pretty slim? Would I be better to wait for a new incarnation that Runeight hinted at?

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2,174 of 2,218
>  how about a teaser picture of these new boards?

Hey forsakenrider, remember the bit o' pressure, self-imposed as it was, we were under when we were building out the 1st two CTH PCBs?   
Well Mullet is there now w/the latest PCB rev + parts.  Sure we'll hear once there is something interesting to be told:)

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2,175 of 2,218
I know I know, I just wanna see this new white on black snazzzz.

What about black resistors, who makes those again? I know I've seen them on someones build around here... That would sure be a nice ALT on the BOM!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back