A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Dec 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #1,861 of 2,218
amen, the wima's are very good value for money. Obbligato's are very nice too.

Spend on the following - amperex BB, or amperex 8416 pq.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #1,865 of 2,218
I've just placed an order for a kit, including the Russian PIO's as they will actually fit in the case. I read that this amp is small, but hadn't actually measured it out - it's tiny! No wonder it can't heat a room. Has anyone used it as a portable with a battery?

I'llave to wait for Christmas before starting my build, so plenty of time to look for tubes. Are there any good places to look in the UK apart from ebay? All the recommendations are £15+ (~$25) but in the tweaks thread people were using $10 ones. Considering they are made in Europe this seems somehow backwards
dt880smile.png

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #1,866 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that this amp is small, but hadn't actually measured it out - it's tiny! No wonder it can't heat a room.

Yes it is.
It has more features than many full-sized desktop headamps in a space less than a 3" X 5" index card. And uses no SMD. It's quite an achievement & you get to feel that sense of achievement once you complete it
smily_headphones1.gif

Think there is a scale PDF somewhere on the official site you could print.
Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used it as a portable with a battery?

Nope.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,867 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 on the 8416. Getting tough to find...

Enjoying Tungsram ECC82 right now...

yea they are getting hard to find, I managed to borrow one but was noisy on the CTH
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An RCA cleartop 6CG7..the only tube you'll need for the CTH.

love this tube with hf2, the raytheon 6cg7 black plates is also very nice.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #1,868 of 2,218
It is with much happiness that I happened upon a pair of Bugle Boys in a box in my basement while I was searching for something. What a nice find, they sound very nice indeed!

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #1,869 of 2,218
Just wanted to chime in with my success story: My first CTH build passed all the initial tests with flying colors!

I'm waiting on audio jacks which were back-ordered at Mouser so I can case it up and have a listen.

Initial impressions are:

1. The build process was smooth and trouble free with the exception of making room for the updated C3H. The C4L & C4R Wima upgrade caps are also a tight fit.

2. The (12BH7A) tube doesn't light as brightly as anticipated. I have verified 12.6 V DC across pins 4 & 5.

3. The CTH doesn't generate as much heat as I'd been lead to believe from reading the forum.

Thanks to everyone who made this project possible, I can't wait to listen!

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #1,870 of 2,218
Glad you like it, It's my current favorite, I use it every night. I am using the BB I mentioned above. I will say regarding the heat that some of the tubes will generate a good bit of heat. The 6DJ's run the amp very cool and sound great, the 6cgs sounded good but ran it very hot. The heater currents sure have an impact.

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #1,871 of 2,218
Just to let everyone know, Spruce Canyon Labs CTH kits are sold out, and will not likely be restocked in the future. As previously stated, Cavalli Audio will now supply PC boards.

The web site will be updated soon to reflect this. Seems I can't get in to make updates. ooops.

I may offer a GB on the last of the custom end panels, depending on how many are left.

Thanks to everyone who bought a kit!

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #1,874 of 2,218
Thank you, Bill, for making this awesome amp so easily available. You made it easy for me to own such a treasure. Thanks to Alex for such a neat design.
I love mine and use it everyday!

Edit: I wopuld be interested in the end panels!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back