A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Feb 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #152 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't resist. My hat's in the ring too.
20mA before falling out of class A? What are the clipping points into low-Z?

Great, glad to have you on board... We must be getting close to 10 prototypers by now...

> 20mA before falling out of class A? What are the clipping points into low-Z?

Runeight will have to answer this when he takes a break from other things
jecklinsmile.gif
Seems to me we aren't driving the BC3X7s too hard using the current BoM comps (don't need the TO92 heatsinks that may appear on it). Think he's slowly putting together something on his site about this amp...

Since you guys should be getting parts & PCBs soon, here's my personal build tips:
  1. Alps RK097 series pots have 6mm shafts. I used heatshrink on it to use 1/4" shaft knob Mouser 450-6016 (can use straw)
  2. Proto PCB & BoM may req tilting in C5P & C10P slightly to fit board in case.
  3. about a dozen side & top holes may suffice.. I staggered side holes because it's hard for hacks like me to make straight even spaced holes
    smily_headphones1.gif
  4. BoM heater slide sw was smallest I could find (other than the RadioShack 275-406 submini I used). See pic below - can also see my bottom mounted LV reg (again don't need to do that)
  5. Since tube amps like to be on for a while I didn't use a pwr switch... Used fuse instead to protect my wallwart.
  6. If a part is out or has silly min qty consider finding alternate of same type, value, rating & size.
  7. Be careful if probing around the PCB when powered on - its quite tight in there!

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #153 of 2,218
Here are a few additions to cfcubed's build tips.
smily_headphones1.gif

1. I'll be building out a section of the CA website soon so you'll have a reference for information
  2. The C5P and C10P in the BoM are smaller diameter than the originals, but they have smaller lead spacing. The should fit without tilting if mounted on the inside pad towards the center of the board
  3. DON'T, DO NOT substitute transistors unless you really know what you're doing. The BoM calls for specific gain classes ("25" and "C"). Don't mix gain classes. If you do, the buffers are likely not to be able to zero properly.

Boards are starting to go out to the next group of prototypers.
beyersmile.png

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #154 of 2,218
Well, I'm pretty psyched. I just put my orders for components in, so given a small amount of luck with the postal system everything should be in place to start my prototype some time next week. I have a small range of slightly more 'unusual' dual triodes lying around which might work well in this circuit-- if any seem to work well I'll report in...

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #155 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the price is right, sign me up, im a starving student, and the tubes used in this amp (to me) seem a bit more available compared to the 19j6s

Maybe you meant to put a smiley at the end of the understatement
icon10.gif
?

An ebay - Vintage Elect/Tubes search for the list of tubes that should work in this amp:
(12au7, ecc82, 6680, 6189, 5963, 7316, 5814, 6922, 6dj8, 8614, 6n1p, 12bh7)
yields about 600 hits (600X # of 19j6 listings) ATM.

And although you only need one tube for this amp, you'll want to try others... Although a dozen or so brands/varieties may rise to the top of heap, they all tend to have their own distinct qualities. Lots of people will probably have their own favorites in this amp. I liked my EH 12AU7 that I dismissed in my SOHAs. And reading forsakenrider's review I'll be picking up a BB 6dj8 for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Alfiax - Well, I'm pretty psyched.
Cool... Let us know how it goes.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #157 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did I miss the bom post? If not, I'll start piecing parts off the schematic.

If runeight has a PCB for you then drop him a PM or something with your email addr & he'll send the BoM.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #158 of 2,218
Are we assuming the wallwart will be scrounged? I did some snooping in my giant stash of power bricks - 24V 1+ amps are a bit hard to come by (I found none.)

I sourced one with my Mouser order for about $10.00 - should we just include this in the Bom?

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #159 of 2,218
I guess we were assuming that they were so ubiquitous that everyone would have easy access to one.

Mouser does have one as you discovered and we can include it in the BoM. Probably a good idea.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #164 of 2,218
Wow, that's not the one that I thought I found. It's current rating is a bit high, but it should work. Does it have a 2.5mm plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back