A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #286 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you!I have a lot of postponed chores to do this weekend!
biggrin.gif
In all fairness, my SO was very tolerant while I was 'prepping for the meet' last weekend...

Would you like a BH7A? I'd be happy to send one up your way...

Well that would be mighty kind of you, Is there any 12au7's you would like? maybe we could make a trade. PM me your rules for engagement, Yarrrr.

I think this amp is going to promote this sort of tube trading thing to the EXTREME!

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #287 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you!I have a lot of postponed chores to do this weekend!
biggrin.gif
In all fairness, my SO was very tolerant while I was 'prepping for the meet' last weekend...

Would you like a BH7A? I'd be happy to send one up your way...

Why did we not try my Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 or my 12BZ7 from Woo on the Cavalli Compact Hybrid?

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #288 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did we not try my Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 or my 12BZ7 from Woo on the Cavalli Compact Hybrid?

WRT 12BZ7 think that's 100mu & I thought the 25mu tube in the POC was pushing my gain prefs driving D2000s... But I think forsakenrider used a tube w/gain > 25mu (Edit: the BB 6dj8) & was happy enough, so who knows....
Although he liked his BB 6dj8 in this think he's enjoying a Tele in it now. Much fun to be had here.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #289 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Time, Larry, Time!
smile.gif
I am planning on loaning you this amp for a bit in the near future, if you're interested..

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #290 of 2,218
A little status update: I think about 1/2 the proto builds are at or near completion. And those w/completed/debugged builds like what they hear.
There have been a couple BoM tweaks that impacted the first of the 2nd wave of builds and that coupled with the occasional build error have been/are being resolved in the proto builds.
A 1% error rate on this project translates to a couple misplaced components, but builders (w/runeight's help) have thus far been able to resolve things. The features, flexibility & performance characteristics of this amp do not come for free parts-count wise. But payoffs and benefits in terms of performance, size, tube rolling, etc are being realized.

I believe the plan is to try to clear the current (careful
smily_headphones1.gif
near-term proto builds first and hear the feedback.

BTW I'm not the only one enjoying tube rolling in this & my latest acquisition is an early 60's Siemens "chrome plate" 12au7... Know the shiny plates are more of a gimmick, but finding the rest of the tube shines as well in this amp. It will be staying in for a while. Found this helpful read WRT tube types.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #291 of 2,218
completed the proto board over the weekend. Initially tested it out with a cheap stereo pot feed by alien dac and its quite impressive. Switched source to zapped zhoulu and has taken the amp to another level. The amp makes tube rolling extremely fun.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #292 of 2,218
Its my birthday and I have the day off from work! The postman brought me My package from CF! WOOT! genII's are in, so heres a lil teaser for ya! MIAAAAAAAAAMMM!!
First impressions, they add MORE detail. Quite a bit more. My highs are soo clear between notes its unbelievable. Thats why i love this amp, the pure air is amazing.

Thanks Chris!

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003Modified.jpg

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #293 of 2,218
Happy bday!

To my surprise and idiocy one of my dual input rca's wires were dangling around and touching each other. Once they were separated, the sound got way better. The bass finally exploded and the details let loose. Right now in listening with the telefunkin smooth plates and its giving me the in the studio jazz experience. I also got some sonic caps too .22uf 200v but im going to enjoy the default setup for a bit.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #294 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its my birthday and I have the day off from work! The postman brought me My package from CF! WOOT! genII's are in, so heres a lil teaser for ya! MIAAAAAAAAAMMM!!
First impressions, they add MORE detail. Quite a bit more. My highs are soo clear between notes its unbelievable. Thats why i love this amp, the pure air is amazing.
Thanks Chris!

Cool! You are welcome there & Happy Bday... Since the Gen IIs went in w/my Siemens chrome plate, maybe even I am hearing their difference
biggrin.gif

Yeah I too am enjoying the range tubes have in this baby... As someone said around here, tubes seem to like running in runeight's designs (light loading, etc.)... They seem free to express themselves very well (better than I can
beyersmile.png
)

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #295 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! You are welcome there & Happy Bday... Since the Gen IIs went in w/my Siemens chrome plate,

How are those Siemens Chrome plates? ECC82?
Tried to get them but I keep getting sniped on ebay.

Feb 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #296 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are those Siemens Chrome plates? ECC82?
Tried to get them but I keep getting sniped on ebay.

Can't decide which is my fav ATM the 63 Siemens ECC82 "chrome plate" or the Amperex 6DJ8 (Holland)... I find the presentation of the Siemens a bit different/exciting where the Amperex has stronger bass. Maybe.
BTW May have to go 20-30 USD shipped for the Siemens & maybe 1/2 that for a Amperex 6DJ8 (non-BB). Still keeping an eye out for a BB myself...

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #299 of 2,218
What is the over all dimensions of the case that people are using for this project? Did a page get made for this project on the same site where the SOHA II info was? I remember reading details but don't want to search for them all again.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #300 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the over all dimensions of the case that people are using for this project? Did a page get made for this project on the same site where the SOHA II info was? I remember reading details but don't want to search for them all again.

The Hammond 1455K1202 (or BK) is being used as the standard case. At least one proto'ers is using a longer version of this case.

As far as searching the thread - I don't wish to sound pedantic, but there's no better way to become familiar with this amp than repetitive exposure
icon10.gif

Ludoo has provided an excellent resource by extending his great search engine to the compact hybrid thread:

Home / Head-Fi Megathreads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back