A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Feb 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #227 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow those new Smaller big caps sure are smaller! but they arent BLUE.... ha.

I'm going to sharpie up the Xicon's and tell folks they're Black Gates
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #228 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HScubed?

Very witty
smily_headphones1.gif
Just checked it looks like Heatsink & BrokenRecord are available names too
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #229 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just have the A/C jack size business to consider

172-0014

No need to home brew anything, cheap too. It's probably cheaper than buying the plug itself and some wire.

I don't know if anyone has these lying around, but if you want to be cheap, Jameco has 24V split-bobbin transformers @ $2.xx, with a wallwart case @ $2.xx, it's not bad (shipping alone is high). I've got about a half-dozen of those around so I don't need to buy a transformer/wallwart case, and @ 24V it's 800mA. Just an FYI.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #231 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsakenrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow!

Telefunken 12au7, flat plates. Its like the Bugle Boy 6dj8 with more punch, I love tube rolling.

I have couple Tele smooth plates, used for soha yea they are good.
The amprex 8416 are great too, my favorites so far are the Siemens. Cant wait to start rolling teh tubes.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #233 of 2,218
No Pressure to get it finished by then
beyersmile.png
I have some bugle boy 6dj8's on the way, maybe they'll make it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wiatrob, I'll have a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 to try out in your compact hybrid and my EF-1 on Saturday.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #234 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Pressure to get it finished by then
beyersmile.png
I have some bugle boy 6dj8's on the way, maybe they'll make it....

No worries mate! Blutarsky is interested in the matched pair of Bugle Boys for his Dared mono-blocks.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #235 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No worries mate!

Well, I don't think the 6Dj8s will show, but it sounds prett good with these 12BH7s...
regular_smile .gif

I had an issue with my 24v reg - it was working a little over voltage. Thanks to Alex and Chris and all the prototypers for the help and support.

Still to do - reroute/make neat the wiring, fix e12 transistor. I haven't had a chance to listen much - I'll take it to work and see if I can get a few hours in today.

First impressions - quite good SQ from this tiny performer...

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #236 of 2,218
Quote:

Well, I don't think the 6Dj8s will show, but it sounds pretty good with these 12BH7s...
regular_smile .gif

<snip>
First impressions - quite good SQ from this tiny performer...

Great! What a wacky coincidence... I just got my Sylvania 12BH7a in the mail yesterday & was listening to it last night
jecklinsmile.gif
Do like it too, maybe somewhere in the middle of my pack of tubes. But, like I posted elsewhere its like blonds vs brunettes... When/if single you find them both fun
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #237 of 2,218
Quote:

Great! What a wacky coincidence... Do like it too, maybe somewhere in the middle of my pack of tubes.

Can you see my little heater voltage dwitchin the picture? It's one of the SOHAII rockers, modified to be SPST and perched on top of some resistor cutoffs. Listening with an RCA BP 5963 now, quite nice.

Quote:

But, like I posted elsewhere its like blonds vs brunettes... When/if single you find them both fun
wink.gif

I married a wig-wearer
wink_face.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #238 of 2,218
Quote:

I married a wig-wearer
wink_face.gif

Nice... Perhaps I will recommend the same to my wife, but maybe NOT this weekend
icon10.gif
And very remiss that I left out redheads.

Will your little darling be ready for her date this weekend? Don't think the guys would mine what she's wearing... She could even go topless & they wouldn't mind. ( Meaning your new amp, of course, not your wife
wink.gif
I'd not even try to bring my wife to a meet)

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #239 of 2,218
Quote:

I married a wig-wearer
wink_face.gif

Can my wife borrow one of her french maid outfits when you come to the head-fi meet tomorrow? I'm gonna see if I can get my wife to wear it for me some night soon...

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #240 of 2,218
Ready and Topless, yes! Listened to her a bit today at work with the gamma-1 - nice combo.

Don't have a maid's outfit, but the latex nun suit will fall right off her - er, the amp...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back