A TREAD sized regulator - the r1
Apr 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #121 of 189

Quote:
Although it technically fits it's probably not a reasonable build option since there is a good chance of direct thermal contact to the capacitors on either side.   This could be rectified in the production version by moving R3 down, turning it 90 degrees clockwise and moving C3 as close to the board edge as possible.  This should gain you at least 3mm that can be used to provide reasonable space on either side of the heat sink.

I may agree about the heatsink over the board.  Looking at my build there is ~1mm of clearance on either side of the heatsink to the caps.  These Mouser parts may be OK for off board 532-581202B25G, 567-634-10ABP

However, moving C3 around is not as feasible as you make it out to be.  The cap in the picture is 16mm, but if you use the heatsink  facing off-board, there is room for an 18mm cap.  Most I can move over an 18mm cap is 1.5mm (to maintain clearance around the mounting hole and diode bridge) - and that kills R3 totally.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #122 of 189

However, moving C3 around is not as feasible as you make it out to be.  The cap in the picture is 16mm, but if you use the heatsink  facing off-board, there is room for an 18mm cap.  Most I can move over an 18mm cap is 1.5mm (to maintain clearance around the mounting hole and diode bridge) - and that kills R3 totally. 

So I guess it's a design choice between having an 18mm cap option and having the option of mounting the heat sink inside the board. To me the latter is more useful and is necessary if you want to claim that the regulator only occupies the space of the board.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #123 of 189
Quote:
So I guess it's a design choice between having an 18mm cap option and having the option of mounting the heat sink inside the board. To me the latter is more useful and is necessary if you want to claim that the regulator only occupies the space of the board.

You have a point. Let me play a bit when I'm not at work.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #124 of 189
It's easy to bend the fins on the heat sink with needle nose pliers, curling them inward to make room for the bigger cap.

May 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #125 of 189
A limited number of prototype PCB's are now available.

Also, please reference the r1 proto webpage:
r1 prototype
You'll find the BOM and other pertinent data.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #126 of 189
tomb did forget this link:

http://beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=137

As one can ascertain,  I asked tomb to handle the distribution of the prototype boards that I ordered.  He has all the stuff to handle shipping PCBs and I don't.  Also as many are in the US it provides much faster shipping than from me.

By tomb putting these up, it also implies that within the limits of the testing that I can do, the boards/BOM is functional.  The only thing that needs to be done is to install Q2 rotated 180 degrees.

As rds noted earlier in the thread, he was willing to test a regulator.  There is a 5V version of the regulator on its way to him and he is going to try to do some testing when he can find some time in his busy schedule.  I personally don't have a LNMP for testing, but at least AC ripple was below what my Fluke could read.

So enjoy and build.

May 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #127 of 189
May 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #128 of 189
Now that I'm awake and having read the Beezar r1 page in detail (which I hadn't last nite), I will agree that the line that you are pointing out is mis-worded.  It would seem that tomb was attempting to give you credit for the work that you have done and it didn't come out quite right.

I have sent tomb what my preferred wording would be and have asked him to update the store page

May 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #129 of 189
The record here in this thread is sufficient. I helped with the layout, and that's all here.

May 5, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #131 of 189
Ordered my boards! Thanks to all much appreciated!!!

May 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #132 of 189
Hey now.I am having a bit of trouble sourcing the op-amp LT1677. Any Ideas?Thanks

May 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #134 of 189
Digikey has ~2700 in-stock of the LT1677.  Preferred part number LT1677CS8#PBF-ND

EDIT:  And as a note, I chose parts that require orders from both Digikey and Mouser.  There may be alternatives, but I chose what I believe to be the best part for each position ( though of course I can always be convinced otherwise)

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #135 of 189
Thanks!
 I am embarrassed, I swear they said 0 stock when I checked this afternoon. It's a good thing I didn't place my order yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back