A TREAD sized regulator - the r1
Jul 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #167 of 189
Looks like I blew the build, guys.
frown.gif
   I got R6 and R7 correct, but I neglected to order the correct versions for D1 and U2 at 24V output.  I can't get any more than ~8.6VDC on the output and I don't have a load that low to test.

I'll have the right parts on order today.

May 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #168 of 189
What ever happened to this project?

May 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #169 of 189
Quote:
What ever happened to this project?

Umm ... unfortunately, it's in my lap.  I built one for the purpose of making specific measurements using Tangent's LNMP.  However, my LNMP batteries shorted out, made a mess and blew up the TLE chip.  Dsavitsk fixed it for me, since I was pretty busy at the time, but then I blew out the r1 I built.  (I put too much voltage and current load on it.)  I have all the parts to build a new one, but just haven't got 'round to it, yet.

May 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #170 of 189
Quote:
Umm ... unfortunately, it's in my lap.  I built one for the purpose of making specific measurements using Tangent's LNMP.  However, my LNMP batteries shorted out, made a mess and blew up the TLE chip.  Dsavitsk fixed it for me, since I was pretty busy at the time, but then I blew out the r1 I built.  (I put too much voltage and current load on it.)  I have all the parts to build a new one, but just haven't got 'round to it, yet.

Does this mean you now know what maximum voltage and current it can feed? I'd be interested in those numbers. 

May 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #171 of 189
Quote:

Does this mean you now know what maximum voltage and current it can feed? I'd be interested in those numbers. 

Just going from memory, but I think cobaltmute indicated that there's no problem exceeding what I did - it's just that the parts selection at present was not set up for that much. 

May 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #172 of 189
I have a few projects that would benefit from a board like this. I'm thinking of going with a Salas v1.1 BiB which might be overkill. Or a Sigma 25, which might be in the same league. I like that the size is super small and flexible.

May 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #174 of 189

I'll admit to not having looked at the circuit in quite a while so it would take me a few moments to figure out the limits with the "default" BOM we spec'ed. That doesn't mean that you can't spec out a different set of parts to meet a specific need. With the proper choices for parts (and heat-sinking), the practical limit will be the copper traces on the board.

May 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #175 of 189
What a fascinating thread. I just read through the whole thing. I probably understood 2% of it, but it was great to see how the project developed. It's too bad it's been languishing a bit, however...

Question: would it be feasible to build several of these to use as bench power supplies? Maybe a 3V, a 5V, a 6V and a 12V? Other than continually adjustable voltage, what would the benefit of a bench power supply be?

Best regards,
Adam

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #177 of 189
Quote:
Is this project officially dead? I'm looking for a small, low-cost 6.3V power supply and I thought this might be perfect, but...

No, it's not dead - just in suspended animation because of me.  I'll try to do better.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #178 of 189
Not trying to pressure anyone - you don't owe me anything and if this ever comes to fruition, I'll be grateful for the work you and everyone else has done. Thanks for the update -- glad to hear it isn't dead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back