A thread for mini meets at Larry's house
Nov 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 33
Agree with all of vcoheda's points.  I believe the superior SQ on some SACDs vs their redbook versions (not the redbook layer on the SACD, but the actual CD release) is due to care in mastering, not the DSD format.  You can compare Janis Joplin Big Brother & The Holding Company ... SACD is not a hybrid, no redbook layer, but compare to the Japanese pressing of the CD ... both wonderful, yet there is a difference, and yes I did it blind.

Kerry reached the same conclusion as Dave on the Krall recording -- comparing SACD to actual CD release.

Sadly, I have to agree that the BA with R10s and some Grados makes the best dynamic rig I have ever heard.  Beats my custom fully balanced Beta 22 with top-of-the-line parts ... not by much, but it's audible.  Must be the 300B's ... solid state can't hold up.  The gap is not as large as BH vs KGSS -- again tubes vs SS -- but it's real.  On the other hand, it might just be the headphones.  I don't have R10s!

R10 with Balancing Act.  O2s with Blue Hawaii Kerry Edition.  Orpheus.  Lots of great CDs aned SACDs spun by Meridian and Wadia.  A day of multiple eargasms,  for sure.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #17 of 33
another point is headphone/amp combinations. proper pairing is extremely important and no matter how good an amp is, it is always a better match with some headphones as opposed to others.

some examples:
 * the BHSE is better with the O2 than the HE60/HE90, which both sound better on the HEV90.
 * the BA shines with lower impedance (RS1, R10, LCD2) but is not as convinving with higher (HD800).
 * the B52 and HR Balanced Max are the opposite - better for Senns than Grados.

most headphones sound good with well-made amps, but the trick is finding out which amp will make a headphone sound great.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
another point is headphone/amp combinations. proper pairing is extremely important and no matter how good an amp is, it is always a better match with some headphones as opposed to others.

some examples:
 * the BHSE is better with the O2 than the HE60/HE90, which both sound better on the HEV90.
 * the BA shines with lower impedance (RS1, R10, LCD2) but is not as convinving with higher (HD800).
 * the B52 and HR Balanced Max are the opposite - better for Senns than Grados.

most headphones sound good with well-made amps, but the trick is finding out which amp will make a headphone sound great.

Yep, I totally agree with your statement on headphone/amp combination.  Some amps are better at driving certain headphones than another.  It is all about matching up the tonality of amp and headphones.  Nice super mini-meet though.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 33
I'd say tonality has nothing to do with the amplifier choice but rather some basic traits of the amplifier design and how it copes with the load presented by the transducer.  There is also the issue of what you want the amp to do, present an open window with plenty of power or color the sound to make up for areas where the transducers are lacking. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #21 of 33
poop
frown.gif

Quote:
R10 with Balancing Act.  O2s with Blue Hawaii Kerry Edition.  Orpheus.  Lots of great CDs aned SACDs spun by Meridian and Wadia.  A day of multiple eargasms,  for sure.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 33
Looks like a great time with lots of gear.  I'm looking forward to seeing some of you in a couple of weeks.  Larry, will you be bringing the WEE to the meet?

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:
....Plus the great beyer 880 600 v 250 shootout.  
I will report in the proper threads ... but maybe not tonight as I have to give the candy out to every group of hoodlums ringing the bell.  Call me a sour old man, but some kids don't even put on a costume.  I give extras to the ones who try hard! 

Could you or someone in the meet share more about the DT880 shootout.  Highly interested!
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot!

Edit:  I got it.  Profile is your friend.  Sorry to bother you.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
Could you or someone in the meet share more about the DT880 shootout.  Highly interested!
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot!

I listened to them after wavoman and vcoheda. We all agreed that they were so close that any differences were extremely subtle. 

We also had our significant others listen to them as a "more blind" sighted test. Since they are not Headphone enthusiasts we figured that they would not have as many preconceived biases towards either of the headphones.

My girlfriend agreed that they were very similar overall, but preferred the 250ohm model. 
Ms. Wavoman also agreed that they were extremely close, but preferred the 600ohm model. 

The amp was my modified bottlehead SEX amp which has a 120 ohm output impedance and more than enough voltage swing for these headphones.

The test may have gone slightly differently with an OTL amp, but since none of us brought one to the meet we could not try. I'l try to remember to bring mine next time, although that is as much a test of the amp as the headphones.

I am curious if Ms. wavoman & my girlfriend preferred those 2 headphones because those are the 2 we (I owned the 880/250 for quite some time, and wavoman has historically seemed to prefer his 880/600) give them to listen to, and thats the sound they are most familiar with? Just a guess.

In the end, I would say that if you own the 880/250 and are thinking of getting the 880/600 as an upgrade to spend the money improving something else.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #26 of 33
Thanks a lot for spending time to reply.  Considering so many variables (different DT880 even with same model and spec, different amp and hearing preference), it is hard to nail down this verdict.

Just provide my 2 cents as another data point since I pick it up, my DT880/250 stock cable, DT880/600 with no diode on drivers, DT880/600 with diode, and two DT880/600 recabled sound quite different with my SE Decware OTL CSP2+.  DT880/250 sound warmer and diffused with more volume but less controlled bass in my setup.

Sorry for the OT.  Now go back to you wonderful meet experience sharing.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I listened to them after wavoman and vcoheda. We all agreed that they were so close that any differences were extremely subtle. 

We also had our significant others listen to them as a "more blind" sighted test. Since they are not Headphone enthusiasts we figured that they would not have as many preconceived biases towards either of the headphones.

My girlfriend agreed that they were very similar overall, but preferred the 250ohm model. 
Ms. Wavoman also agreed that they were extremely close, but preferred the 600ohm model. 

The amp was my modified bottlehead SEX amp which has a 120 ohm output impedance and more than enough voltage swing for these headphones.

The test may have gone slightly differently with an OTL amp, but since none of us brought one to the meet we could not try. I'l try to remember to bring mine next time, although that is as much a test of the amp as the headphones.

I am curious if Ms. wavoman & my girlfriend preferred those 2 headphones because those are the 2 we (I owned the 880/250 for quite some time, and wavoman has historically seemed to prefer his 880/600) give them to listen to, and thats the sound they are most familiar with? Just a guess.

In the end, I would say that if you own the 880/250 and are thinking of getting the 880/600 as an upgrade to spend the money improving something else.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 33
wow. speechless. If only I lived even relatively close to there.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
If I knew all that gear was going to be there ahead of time... I would have planed a robbery!

that would have proved difficult. his man cave is rather secure!

Quote:
wow. speechless.

as befits your screen name!
wink.gif

i must say (in case it's not obvious from the pix & posts above) that Larry and his wife were quite the generous & gracious hosts. it made it hard to get much listening in! 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back