A tale of 2 IEM's (Montser Turbine Copper 1 vs Monster Turbine Copper 2) How different burnin techniques gave me two unique IEM's
Jan 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #136 of 179
You can play it straight because of the silence break built in to the file. I would say start playing some music and turn volume up to just above comfortable then switch it to the burnin file and just set it to loop. Do this for the first night. The second night go a bit louder and do the same thing. During the burnin you can have a listen at any time and decide if your liking  what is happening. If you find it seems to be getting to warm sounding then try switching to my other file and continue, with checks to see if your liking that sound. I did find with my coppers' the initial first 20-30hrs had the biggest impact on the IEM's sound. Also in the case of the Copper's they did quite a few cameleon changes over the first 50 hours so don't be surprised if one aspect of the signature becomes more pronounced or recessed as it will likely change again.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #138 of 179
glad to help and happy listening :)

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #139 of 179
Hey dweaver

im getting the Fischer Audio DBA 02s soon and i was wondering since its not a bass monster would u recommend the brown first file to help improve the bass .... also how many rins of burning in should i do ie; how many hours over how many days ? thanks

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #140 of 179
The DBA-02 is a BA based IEM so there is effect from burnin other than the crossover in the first couple hours so you won't gain anything. But give it a whirl if you like. In my case my SM3 never changed.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #142 of 179
read there somewhere, i member said DBA02 have very lil bass,  and BA drivers dont change as much as dynamic driver from burn in,  ba drivers will only change very lil ,  thats what i read here, good luck

Quote:
Hey dweaver

im getting the Fischer Audio DBA 02s soon and i was wondering since its not a bass monster would u recommend the brown first file to help improve the bass .... also how many rins of burning in should i do ie; how many hours over how many days ? thanks

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #143 of 179
Hey all-just checking in to update everyone on my burn-in experience. After one night I didn't notice a significant level of difference. However, since then I've given them over 25 hours of burn in on dweaver's brown noise heavy file, and let me tell you-now, they sound positively fantastic. Deliciously bassy, and it's not usually overbearing, but instead round and full and lovely-present but not overpowering. I can honestly say that I love these headphones and I am very impressed with them-and most of all, I'd recommend this burn-in process to anyone who wants a more full bodied bass or just a more exciting headphone overall. Thanks again dweaver!

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #144 of 179
glad it worked out for you cnote678 and thank you for the kind words.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #145 of 179
I think this thread will be around for a while.

Just read this and your review thread in its entirety.  I will get my new coppers tomorrow.  I just sent back some Shure SE535s (too expensive) and am really excited to get the coppers.  I'm going to do a quick listen (some TobyMac, Black Crowes and Sick Puppies) and then will set them to burn on your brown centric file overnight.  Rinse and repeat for a couple days.  I will let you know.

After downloading your file, I listened to increments (first minute, second, third, etc) to make sure stuff was in there and it was changing sound.  I can't believe the "noise" will make a difference, but will trust to the results I've seen people report.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #146 of 179
Just an update... used the brown centric file for about 10 hrs last night.  Was disappointed this morning in that I didn't see much of a difference.  I've been listening all day in the office tho and its been pretty cool... I am hearing them change as I listen.  I also found that I needed to turn up the volume a little (compared to the multi driver headphones I've been listening too).

So, I will repeat tonight with a little higher level volume and then maybe once more for good measure.

There is no doubt that there is a difference as they break in.  The Bass is amazing.  I am so glad I found this thread.  I believe my search for the "perfect headphone", at least for me, is over.

I will say, especially after spending a couple weeks with the Shure 535s, that these are not as balanced as those, especially on the low end.  I was looking for a little more bass and I'm getting it... 

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #147 of 179
Last post on this.  I have found that after running the files for 10 hrs overnight, I've been disappointed with the sound quality for about the first 30 or so minutes of listening after.  It almost seems like it takes the phones a little bit of normal listening to settle down after the white noise for 10 hours straight.  After that half hour or so of normal listening, they settle down and sound great.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but it is what I saw both yesterday and today...

Anyways - I'm happy with the results so thanks so much!

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #148 of 179
Glad it has worked for you. I did find it needed 30 or so hours of burnin to start to settle down right. I also found listening to music afterwards needed a half hour or so to become normal. I suspect he driver may be stressed a bit or something initially. If you pretty happy with the sound set up a mix of music tonight and let that play over night at a volume just above comfortable to further burn them. This usually will just help speed up the remaining break in but based on the music you like so it shouldn't influence the signature in any specific way.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #149 of 179
I think I'm going to do one more "white noise" night - that will make 30.  I actually probably have close to 30 hours on them now given the time I've listened here in the office.  Again, thanks so much for putting the file out there for noobs like me.  I am really happy.  Amazon is running them for $225 now, so I am basically spending half what I had on the Shure's - which is an added bonus!  Makes me feel better on my new iPod 64 gig purchase :)

I do need to turn the iPod volume leveling off on these as the sound sometimes goes too low (i guess the difference between a single driver phone vs. multi).  Do you recommend an amp?  I mean, I'm not really a sophisticated listener, but if it makes a diff, it might be worth some $.  I see that some are fairly expensive, so part of me thinks just be happy with what you have.  I will mostly be listening from a laptop or from the iPod - not through my home stereo - AND its all MP3/ACC, encoded at 128 and 256 (mostly bought off iTunes)...  I really don't think I'm a very discerning listener, so it could be overkill.  Its a volume thing more than a detail thing.  I don't get much, if any, hiss coming from any of the sources, so I'm curious what the amp really does.  Some people swear by them.  I listen to music relatively loud -  the more my head shakes, the better (kidding).  Listening to Rock and Hip Hop mostly.  Some accoustic.  No hard Rap, Electronic, Heavy Metal or Country.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #150 of 179
I am responding to the middle of your thread regarding IEM's and which is better and your applicable testing and thoughts.  I own a pair of Shure E530's and wanted a bit more bass as many folks do.  My main genre is Jazz, smooth Jazz and R&B.  I just picked up the Monster Coppers and as you stated they are a decent IEM, but still do not have the sound stage that my Shure's have.  I see the Westone's out there at comparable prices, but am wary that I will get a set that I am disappointed in.  Is there any IEM that has a full sound stage like the Shure's and additional clean FULL bass?

I like your burning in file and I did see some improvements on the Coppers, but not sure if that is a solution to try to "mold" an existing IEM with your burn-in file and methods.  I am open to suggestions and recommendations.  I do value your thoughts and research as well as other forum members.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back