A Student's Attempt at the Plasmasonic Headphones.
Aug 7, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #17 of 57
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

I worry not though. This guy has done far more dangerous things with electricity and lived to tell the tale.

I cross-posted this in DIYAudio not long ago.
And an expert from bear labs told me that I'm digging myself a cheap ($40) grave.
So I'm taking a few steps back to the drawing board.
My design goal now is to make all leads coming out of my Box non-leathal to the touch.

According to multiple sources in my research, the safety threshold for a Macroshock is 1 mA. (Which will cause a tingling feeling)
As opposed to a Microshock where electrodes are inserted in the body, bypassing skin. (10µA is lethal for a Microshock)

So now I'd need to find out how much current the Corona discharge draws. safely.
I may have to get myself a pair of electrical rubber gloves.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:
I just got here and am happy to see you being more careful. Maybe you could build a drain into the headpiece between your ear and the plasma. Grounded open screen etc. Thats a scary ozone generating device your making.

Yes, thanks to the guy from DIYAudio.

The grounded grid was in my original design.

As for the ozone, I really want to find out the levels generated by my device if possible because it is a very strong oxidizing agent and has a "4" rating in its NFPA Health and Reactivity section which states:

4​
Very short exposure could cause death or major residual injury (e.g., hydrogen cyanidephosphinecarbon monoxidesarin)

4​
Readily capable of detonation or explosive decomposition at normal temperatures and pressures (e.g., nitroglycerineTrinitrotoluene)

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:
popcorn.gif

Made me think of the OP holding unpopped corn before test and have that after.
wink_face.gif

Good luck to the OP. I suspect that after you get them up, you may need to do some EQ in the amp to have them sound linear as phones.

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 57
yeah I would be endeavoring to find out how much spontaneously explosive sarin equivalent gas, my experimental lethally high voltage headphones were likely to produce before putting them on as well …

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #22 of 57
Quote:
yeah I would be endeavoring to find out how much spontaneously explosive sarin equivalent gas, my experimental lethally high voltage headphones were likely to produce before putting them on as well …

While O3 isn't explosive, it is still a very strong oxidizing agent. That means flammable substances MAY spontaneously combust in its presence and flames will burn much stronger.
So until I get them tested, I'll be using them under a fume hood or something similar (i.e. stove exhaust hood).

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #23 of 57
If you pumped argon very slowly through the headphones, they'd make almost no ozone. Of course, you'd need cylinders of gas to listen to them, but a large cylinder could last I would make an uncalculated guess of many many hundreds of hours of listening if it were setup right. Gasses like argon are readily available due to their use in welding.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #24 of 57
Quote:
If you pumped argon very slowly through the headphones, they'd make almost no ozone. Of course, you'd need cylinders of gas to listen to them, but a large cylinder could last I would make an uncalculated guess of many many hundreds of hours of listening if it were setup right. Gasses like argon are readily available due to their use in welding.

But the headphones are completely open, wouldn't that fill the entire room with argon??

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #25 of 57
Quote:
But the headphones are completely open, wouldn't that fill the entire room with argon??

yes, some would leak out, but even at a very low flow-rate a very large fraction of the gas inside the headphones would stay argon and even the slightest air flow in the room would make it mix right in and leave plenty of oxygen to breathe. Both of these issues are quite similar in welding, and neither are an issue.

Of course, it is somewhat impractical to have large gas cylinders, but for a demonstration piece it could be done. If you don't plan on listening for long and are mainly doing it to do it and have a demo piece, though, the ozone won't really be an issue. I've breathed plenty of ozone briefly while working with high voltage. While it's not really good, brief exposures aren't going to kill you or anything.

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:
While O3 isn't explosive, it is still a very strong oxidizing agent. That means flammable substances MAY spontaneously combust in its presence and flames will burn much stronger.
So until I get them tested, I'll be using them under a fume hood or something similar (i.e. stove exhaust hood).

i'm well aware its only very unstable and could potentially explode in reaction to the environment, when, for example there is air being broken apart in the presence of >1kV. did you really just pick holes in a completely fantastic piece of piss taking?

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:
yes, some would leak out, but even at a very low flow-rate a very large fraction of the gas inside the headphones would stay argon and even the slightest air flow in the room would make it mix right in and leave plenty of oxygen to breathe. Both of these issues are quite similar in welding, and neither are an issue.

Of course, it is somewhat impractical to have large gas cylinders, but for a demonstration piece it could be done. If you don't plan on listening for long and are mainly doing it to do it and have a demo piece, though, the ozone won't really be an issue. I've breathed plenty of ozone briefly while working with high voltage. While it's not really good, brief exposures aren't going to kill you or anything.

I see.

Even if I do successfully finish the build, I'll probably not have it running continuously for over 10 minutes so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've actually worked with plasma discharges years ago but only knew it was harmful recently....
(my sense of smell still works.) 

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:
i'm well aware its only very unstable and could potentially explode in reaction to the environment, when, for example there is air being broken apart in the presence of >1kV. did you really just pick holes in a completely fantastic piece of piss taking?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by that....

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by that....

which part? if O3 creates a volatile environment that can literally set fire to normally safe gases, particles in the air, petrochemicals in plastics perhaps? or put a turbo on actually dangerous reactions; meanwhile very high voltage can and will be literally tearing the air apart around you … well … need I go on?

the second part was regarding my confusion at you analyzing and debunking the details of what was quite obviously a fairly impromptu joke, as if it was a theory I was putting forward, if its that part you dont get i'm afraid I cant help you.

in other words lighten the **** up
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #30 of 57
qusp, you're being melodramatic, few weeks ago we were working with 750W liquid oxygen ozone generator in poorly ventiated basement and we had some let's say "accidents" happening and nothing spontaneously combusted or anything else happened... well except the  horrible stench. 
cool.gif

If you don't smell it there is nothing to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back