A Strange Semi-Vintage RS-1: Now with Pics
Feb 7, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh... so... the vintage RS1 doesn't have an HP-1000 driver in it?

No I would say they do not have the HP-1000 driver. As nikongod pointed out they are distinctly different in appearance. The HP1000 driver is white and the RS1 is black. I owned a vintage pair at one time for many years, only headphone I've sold that I completely regret letting go, and I had the HP-1000 (HP2) at the same time. Definitely a different sound signature. If you're noting the smoothness in your new RS1, I would say despite not having the brown headband, then you scored the vintage driver that makes the vintage RS1 so desirable. So, bonus.

Here is my old for sale thread with pics to compare
frown.gif
: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...re-56k-288197/

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #32 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I would say they do not have the HP-1000 driver. As nikongod pointed out they are distinctly different in appearance. The HP1000 driver is white and the RS1 is black. I owned a vintage pair at one time for many years, only headphone I've sold that I completely regret letting go, and I had the HP-1000 (HP2) at the same time. Definitely a different sound signature. If you're noting the smoothness in your new RS1, I would say despite not having the brown headband, then you scored the vintage driver that makes the vintage RS1 so desirable. So, bonus.

Here is my old for sale thread with pics to compare
frown.gif
: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...re-56k-288197/

Interesting! I think I'd read somewhere here that the first RS1 had the HP driver. These definitely have the black cloth and reddish drivers of an older RS1 though.

Yeah, the smoothness of these is an oddity to describe. I haven't heard it in any headphone EXCEPT the HP2, so I'm not sure how to wrap my head around it.

Even in fast passages with staccato notes or something similar, you hear the clear "end" and "beginning" of the note. At the same time though, that beginning and end are in no way harsh or cut off. They just sort of end. There's no harsh-ness of any kind on anything. It's all just polished, but it's all got a texture underneath the polish at the same time.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Yeah, not true-vintage because they're missing the brown headband and the box. But some sort of weird in-between generation hybrid... check out the pictures.

The brown headband was changed to black well before the wood box was changed to cardboard. I had a set with the wood box and a black headband at the same time that I had an HP-2. I remember selling that headphone because I didn't like the sound signature in comparison to the HP-2. Around the same time I also had an SR-325 that had HP-1000 drivers. AFAIK, the Joe Grado style drivers could be found in the SR-100, SR-200, SR-200, and the first batch of SR-325. I don't know if the RS-1 ever came with a Joe Grado style driver but the RS-1 was John's creation. Either way, your RS-1 is too new to have HP-1000 drivers.

Also want to add that the older Grados have some variability. I have heard HP-1000s I wasn't crazy about directly compared to HP-1000s that sounded great. I was never crazy about the RS-1 but some are better than others. It might not be entirely due to age. I think it is possible that you got a good set.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #34 of 80
Just as a side note, what's the best way to clean off older pad foam that's stuck to the wood? Doesn't seem glued, but the pads were stuck to the old wood for nearly 10 years in a closet.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Just as a side note, what's the best way to clean off older pad foam that's stuck to the wood? Doesn't seem glued, but the pads were stuck to the old wood for nearly 10 years in a closet.

I would try q-tips with just some water at first. If that doesn't work, try to figure out some type of cleaning agent that will have absolutely no chance of damaging wood. Don't have any suggestions for that. Just hope that some water works.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #36 of 80
Congrats with this beuty, hope they will keep you happy for a long time!

Maybe you can ask GRADO Labs about these, just a thought...

I followed this Ebay auction as well, but the price went to high
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #37 of 80
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

A nice looking specimen I must say...

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

I've read your posts before in regard to pricing.

You generally don't know what you're talking about.

I have read your posts before in regard to win.

You generally win your win about win full of win with win.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #40 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try q-tips with just some water at first. If that doesn't work, try to figure out some type of cleaning agent that will have absolutely no chance of damaging wood. Don't have any suggestions for that. Just hope that some water works.

Yes, try water first. I believe Grado uses a polyurethane based finish and most solvents will remove that. Rubbing with a wet Q-tip or a damp cloth would probably take it off. Also, you might want to apply a good furniture wax (like Briwax) to the cups. That'll protect the wood and help keep the new pads from sticking to it.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #43 of 80
Oh weird... got moved to a new forum I've never been in before...

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These must be really special: they have been promoted to High-End.

Aren't RS-1s normally considered high end? I think most of us agree that they're better than the GS1000.

EDIT: Just did a search, this is one of the only threads in here with RS1 in the title line. Odd.

EDIT EDIT: Oh God Kees... is your avatar winking at me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back