A simple review of Onkyo SE200 Soundcard
May 23, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #32 of 72
Thanks, I downloaded the latest asio4all version, set the rate to "AUTO" - it goes to 44 khz now, plays almost perfectly (occasional click and pop), no other difference though...i mean, what should I listen for while using asio4all? does this make any sense while using RCA analog outs'? quality wise I believe 192 high resolution sounds better

May 23, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #33 of 72
I think if you upsample it to 192khz you don't gain anything from it as most mp3 are encoded to 44.1khz or even most FLAC and APE files. And if you are using Windows XP, apparently kmixer upsampling algorithm is very bad and thus that's why ppl advise to use ASIO in order to bypass kmixer upsampling.

Personally, I don't think my ear is good enough to hear the difference between kmixer and ASIO. But I think there's no harm trying to go the bit-perfect route so that you know that everything you play is as how it was meant to be instead of getting bits added in.

If you are experiencing clicks and pop, trying setting this in your ASIO4ALL, buffersize = 2048
kernel buffers = 4
latency = 0 for both in and out.

cheers! =) anyway whatever it is, just use the settings that you think sound nicer to you. in the end, that's all that matters. =)

May 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #34 of 72
A few asked about dual cards I feel I should mention some info: You can in fact use the VelBac application to link say a X-fi to the Onkyo card internally so you could have full features of the X-fi and the full features of the Onkyo as a ouput. You can play games in EAX and have the Onkyo as a output. This applcation is great as it allows you to use whatever card you like for the output section of your audio system. Compatible with XP and being developed for Vista right now.

May 24, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by escaflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you upsample it to 192khz you don't gain anything from it as most mp3 are encoded to 44.1khz or even most FLAC and APE files. And if you are using Windows XP, apparently kmixer upsampling algorithm is very bad and thus that's why ppl advise to use ASIO in order to bypass kmixer upsampling.

Personally, I don't think my ear is good enough to hear the difference between kmixer and ASIO. But I think there's no harm trying to go the bit-perfect route so that you know that everything you play is as how it was meant to be instead of getting bits added in.

If you are experiencing clicks and pop, trying setting this in your ASIO4ALL, buffersize = 2048
kernel buffers = 4
latency = 0 for both in and out.

cheers! =) anyway whatever it is, just use the settings that you think sound nicer to you. in the end, that's all that matters. =)

Hey escaflo - that was it
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks - it DOES work better with your settings... One problem I found is that asio4all doesn't save the settings (or I don't know how to save them and it resets to defaults as soon as I restart it)... Does anyone know how to solve this?

May 26, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #37 of 72
My SE200 arrived today and it's just fantastic!
It was used with akg k240 headphones and klipsch ifi speakers. Previous card was audigy 2zs. It's a much better card in every aspect. Music sounds how it should now, I highly recommend it.

* I use windows xp

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #38 of 72
Got my se-200 few days ago ( thanks to florinbaiduc for helping me to get it). I bought modded card (with opa 2604 and opa 627@browndog adapters + some changed caps). It bought if for 300USD total (pretty hi price for sound card) but its worth every penny IMO. I previously owned many other sound cards (modded x-fi, audiotrak prodigy hifi, auzen x-meridian, onkyo se150) but modded se-200 beats them all in terms of sound quality (x-meridian came closest).

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #39 of 72
Hi,

I also ordered the Onkyo SE-200 PCI, I probably need to wait a while. Can you tell me if you can switch the filter characteristics from "SHARP" to "SLOW" in the driver. I can do this in my Onkyo DX-7555 CD player. In fact I prefer the SLOW roll off filter.

Thank you, Cheers
Joachim

Oct 17, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 72
I will be curious to compare to X-Meridian 7.1 with LM4562.

Peaple don't Believe me when I tell SoundCard match top CD player.

I keep my cd player because he have balanced out and will upgrade to balanced setup "soon".

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my se-200 few days ago ( thanks to florinbaiduc for helping me to get it). I bought modded card (with opa 2604 and opa 627@browndog adapters + some changed caps). It bought if for 300USD total (pretty hi price for sound card) but its worth every penny IMO. I previously owned many other sound cards (modded x-fi, audiotrak prodigy hifi, auzen x-meridian, onkyo se150) but modded se-200 beats them all in terms of sound quality (x-meridian came closest).

hey, if you don't mind, care to tell us where did you grab the modded version of the SE-200?
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #42 of 72
Hi, I purchased that card for qwerty009. I live in Japan and, as he asked for moded versions of the SE200 I just searched some Japanese forums. There was that Japanese guy who basically replaced almost every cap and opamp with the best available. therefore the 300 USD price
smily_headphones1.gif

I myself had the chance to listen to it, and compare it with the stock SE200, and I can confirm, that although not burned in, the card sounded absolutely fantastic... but the very high price had me settled with the stock SE200 (which sounds very very good as well, at least with my A900 + tubes system)

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #45 of 72
Guys, I picked up the Limited Edition today. It cost me 24,000yen, I'll do up a small review when I get some time.

Cheers,

Donny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back