A simple review of Onkyo SE200 Soundcard
Apr 21, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 72
se200pci.jpg

Thats a lot of blackgates!

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 72
Is it possible to run 2 soundcards in a computer?

I currently have an X-fi but wondering if it is possible to add a SE-200 and only use it with certain programs?

i.e. I want to use the X-fi for games and the Onkyo for iTunes/Winamp.

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to run 2 soundcards in a computer?

I currently have an X-fi but wondering if it is possible to add a SE-200 and only use it with certain programs?

i.e. I want to use the X-fi for games and the Onkyo for iTunes/Winamp.

That should be possible.

May 19, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 72
First, I must ask:

Is any of the documentation in english? What about the software? If not, how easy is it to figure out the software (assuming the card includes some, which it should).

I just bought some Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers to supplement my Sennheiser HD580 headphones.
I wonder if it would be worth it for me to replace my onboard Karajan 7.1 audio module (using Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio CODEC) with some kind of PCI soundcard.

I almost exclusively use my soundcard to listen to mp3s, would the Onkyo SE200 be a good choice for me or would it be completely overkill and a waste of my money?

Edit: Answered one of my questions. The soundcard uses generic Via drivers available in english.

May 19, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there by any chance you can review the 1212m as well?

Emu 1212m mount the same DAC Cirrus Logic CS4398 of the Zhaolu model compared above with SE200. It don't mean that they sound the same, but they may have the same "imprinting"

It would be interesting compare SE200 with the Analog Device Zhaolu DAC (is it the 2.5 a?) or compare it with NOS DACS: wolfson DAC seems have good harmoncis, fine for easy listening

May 21, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #26 of 72
bite the bullet, bend over and bought one as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, two weeks after selling my beloved SE150 to another member of this fine community
smily_headphones1.gif
, I found out that I can't be without nice computer sound so reinvested the money in a new SE 200
smily_headphones1.gif
(due to the weak yen I lost almost nothing on this transaction). There flies another 140 $ since I am with headfi
smily_headphones1.gif

A short review now.Well, well well, what to say, it DOES sound better than the SE 150 (not by much but definitelly there is a difference). Clarity is much better, you can hear the very fine note grinds (just like in the real instruments - I listen mostly to classic right now and I use an elekit tube amp and AT900s')

Actually I felt the SE 90 sounds a bit more clear than the SE 150 but I always preferred the musicality of the SE 150 (very nice and warm sound, good for live jazz and classical symphonic music). Well the SE200 is clearer than the SE90 and has the same "SE150" very nice warm signature on the RCA outs...
I am now after about 50 hours of burning in (still going on), First I had no or little bass for 1-2 hours, then only the mids were there, and after 15-20 hours it started to come together very nicely.

It definitely excels in the very wide and airy sound stage. There it's this card's strength and this "jumps" to you as soon as you start listening to it. I can easily pinpoint every instrument or group of instruments on my system, and I wasn't able to do that before on the SE90 or SE 150...
the 6 (yeah, six) opamps on the RCA out circuit sing back to you (even if they are old type, they really do the job very very good).
Otherwise, with the RMAA testing it performs exactly as specified here:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...211/dal262.htm
scroll to the bottom of the page to see the graphs, with the included RCA cable (seemingly of better than average quality).
No software issues at all, normal VIA drivers from VIA's page, the same as the SE 150, and no problems in Linux as well.
On the other hand personally I can't notice any difference between 192kbps and 96 kpbs - nothing... In the RMAA testing the numbers definitely improve though...
well, that's my short review... any other users on the forum?

May 22, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 72
I tried using asio4all on XP, unfortunately no success (it plays, but CPU usage goes to 100% and it "pops and clicks" 2-3 times a second)...
I was using winamp with the asio4all plugin...
Any inputs on this (proper setup or what might have failed)?
Quote:

Originally Posted by escaflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it does. I am using ASIO4ALL with it on Vista. Not sure any difference but there's no harm =)

Cheers

ps: welcome to the club florinbaiduc! =)

May 22, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #29 of 72
I am not too sure. I am using J. River Media Center and I don't have much problem.

Set the via audio control panel sampling rate to Auto, and then in J. River Media Center, I set the sampling rate to "Source sample rate" and also to "Source bit rate".

It works for me very well but I am not sure why it doesn't work for u. It works fine for me in XP as well. As well as when I use the optical out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by florinbaiduc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried using asio4all on XP, unfortunately no success (it plays, but CPU usage goes to 100% and it "pops and clicks" 2-3 times a second)...
I was using winamp with the asio4all plugin...
Any inputs on this (proper setup or what might have failed)?

May 22, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #30 of 72
The software is basically the same as for AV710 as it uses the standard via envy driver. Documentation is not in english but I don't think u need it at all. Pretty easy to figure out. =)

I think klipsch speakers are pretty good and I think u will get more out of it with the onkyo soundcard. I use to own them and they are the one that started me out on the journey of good sounds. I change my first soundcard bcos of them. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I must ask:

Is any of the documentation in english? What about the software? If not, how easy is it to figure out the software (assuming the card includes some, which it should).

I just bought some Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers to supplement my Sennheiser HD580 headphones.
I wonder if it would be worth it for me to replace my onboard Karajan 7.1 audio module (using Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio CODEC) with some kind of PCI soundcard.

I almost exclusively use my soundcard to listen to mp3s, would the Onkyo SE200 be a good choice for me or would it be completely overkill and a waste of my money?

Edit: Answered one of my questions. The soundcard uses generic Via drivers available in english.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back